Subject: [Anima] John Scudder's No Objection on draft-ietf-anima-asa-guidelines-05: (with COMMENT)

From: John Scudder via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 13:48:21 -0800

John Scudder has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-anima-asa-guidelines-05: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/
for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-anima-asa-guidelines/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for this document, which was overall informative and easy to read. I do
have a couple small comments.

1. While most terminology is clearly defined, I didn’t find any definition of
“the decoupled mode” first referred to in §6.1.1. It’s possible to infer what’s
meant from context, after reading a bit more, but this was a speed bump in an
otherwise smooth ride. “Decoupled” and “coupled” occur several places
thereafter. I did go and check the normative references, and AFAICT none of
them define the term either.

2. Also in §6.1.1, you mention ensuring that ASAs are “well installed”. This
suggests to the reader that ASAs might also be “poorly installed” and that the
installation phase might somehow return that status as well, which seems
dubious. My guess is that “well” could simply be dropped?

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 13:07:14 +1300

Thanks John. In line...

> them define the term either.

Ack, will fix.

> dubious. My guess is that “well” could simply be dropped?

Agreed. "Installed" is a Boolean state.

Regards
      Brian