Subject: [Ans-research] Proposed New ANS Charter

From: Corson Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:23:40 -0500

Folks,

Numerous RG participants have expressed the view that the previous ANS
charter's research scope was too *narrow*.  

We have discussed this with Avri Doria (the new Routing Research Group
chairperson) and after scratching our heads for a time, have come up with
the following proposed charter.

http://www.flarion.com/ans-research/

We welcome feedback on the proposed charter.  

Are people OK with this?  Suggestions please?

Thx,

-Scott

_______________________________________________
Ans-research mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ans-research

---

From: Jakob Eriksson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:33:02 -0800

Since my main research interest lies in the scalability aspects of ad 
hoc networks, I'm a bit disappointed by the apparent dilution of the 
charter to its new, much more general form.

However, I must congratulate the authors on their creativity. For those 
of you that missed the subtle, but effective, name change, the former 
"ANS: Ad hoc Network Scalability" research group is now the "ANS: Ad 
hoc Network Systems" research group. :-D

At the very least, we'll have a much easier time defining "Systems" 
than "Scalability"!

- Jakob

---

From: Shubhranshu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 14:34:32 -0800

I am certainly very glad about the new charter. Many ppls in MANET WG feel the necessity 
of "well defined" methods/algorithms/concept  for "interlayer interaction" issue. Somehow 
 MANET WG could not discuss or produce any specific result about this topic. Reason may be 
similar that prevented them to take up the *scalability* issue. I feel the "MANET community" can benefit
 from this new charter of ANS:Ad Hoc Network system research subgroup.

Thx.

--Shubhranshu

---

From: "Sukanta K. Hazra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:17:27 +0800

Hi!

The broadening of the charter is welcome. However, the emphasis on
cross-layer interaction, particularly the words "and its effect on...",
is a bit strict. IMHO the charter would better represent the goals
of the sub-group if we reworded it in a manner such that study of
cross-layer interaction is not a prerequisite for the other goals.

- Sukanta

----- Original Message -----
From: "Corson Scott <[email-masked]>"
Date: Wed, 04 Feb, 2004 05:23 SGT
Subject: [Ans-research] Proposed New ANS Charter

-- 
Sukanta K. Hazra	<[email-masked]>
Institute for Infocomm Research
Tel: +65 6874-1953 Fax: +65 6776-8109
Homepage: http://www1.i2r.a-star.edu.sg/~sukanta/