Subject: [apps-discuss] Moving "mailserver" URI scheme from "Provisional" to "Historic"

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 12:41:24 +0100

RFC 1738, Section 4 says:

   mailserver       Access to data available from mail servers.

That is all it says. I don't believe this URI scheme is well defined and 
I also don't believe that it was ever deployed (corrections to the last 
statement are welcomed).

Any objections of declaring this Historic?

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 16:22:50 +0100

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

>* Alexey Melnikov wrote:  
>I note that http://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/uri/historical.html sort of
>did that already. (And I am intrigued by "An SGML-based URC Service".)
>
I suppose I need to double check with Paul. I didn't know he tried to 
standardize it.

>(Wouldn't [email-masked] or [email-masked] be a better place to ask?)
>
Ok, Sent to the former.
But I think discussing this topic here is also appropriate.

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:44:28 -0700

At 4:22 PM +0100 9/15/10, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>>>That is all it says. I don't believe this URI scheme is well defined and I also don't believe that it was ever deployed (corrections to the last statement are welcomed).
>>>
>I suppose I need to double check with Paul. I didn't know he tried to standardize it.
>

Nuke it. No one could come up with examples of it being used, much less interoperably.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:16:55 +0200

(Wouldn't [email-masked] or [email-masked] be a better place to ask?)
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:35:15 +0900

> Nuke it. No one could come up with examples of it being used, much less interoperably.

Yes. It proposed to add subject and body to the functionality of a 
mailto: URI, but this is now possible with mailto: URIs (see 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2368 and 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-duerst-mailto-bis/), so it's also 
clearly technically obsolete.

Regards,    Martin.

-- 
#-# Martin J. Dürst, Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:[email-masked]