Subject: [aqm] Evaluation Guidelines: Next Steps

From: Preethi Natarajan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 22:17:19 -0800

Hello AQMers,

Based on the discussions today at the WG session and other hallway
conversations, it seems that the following are possible options:
1. Split the current version into multiple drafts as appropriate: The draft
in its current version is bloated [aka "ContentBloat" :)], and can be
logically separated out into multiple drafts. One way to split -- (I) a
generic evaluations draft that focuses on a common denominator of
goals/metrics expected out of an AQM scheme irrespective of deployment
scenario (DC, 3G etc), and (ii) one or more drafts for specific network
environments such as 3G/LTE, Data center discussing special goals and/or
metrics. There could be other ways of splitting the draft, lets discuss
those as well. Splitting gives a de-bloated generic evaluations draft that
may be easier to process and get consensus on. WG can focus on special
network scenarios drafts after that.
2. Generic evaluations draft contents/organization: Assuming  (1), the next
question is what should be contents of the generic draft. Based on
discussions today, the draft should first discuss goals along with
motivation for each goal, followed by metrics that make sense for each goal.
I.e., metrics driven by the goals. The draft will also include generic
evaluation criteria to evaluate an AQM against each goal.
Please respond with comments/suggestions,

Thanks,
Preethi

---

From: Nicolas KUHN <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:14:28 +0100 (CET)

Dear AQMers,

I write this email on the behalf of the co-authors of the draft "AQM
evaluation guidelines". Based on the various feed-backs and discussions
we could have had during and after the meeting, we would like to share to
the lists our ideas for future directions.

One of the main issues of the draft that has been reported is that it
tried to provide generic guidelines to evaluate an AQM AND guidelines to
evaluate the AQM in specific context. Some discussions during the meeting
were about the metrics for specific context, link bandwidth variations
(WiFi), or ways to evaluate various metrics. These feed-backs and
discussions illustrate that it may be too ambitious and confusing to
propose both generic and context depend scenarios to evaluate AQM in one
single document. In the current draft, there may be to much content
making it difficult to come up with a consensus in the WG.

Based on these discussions and feed-backs, we propose to split the
current document into two drafts to ease the discussion:

- *-aqm-eval-guidelines-*: this draft would provide high level generic
guidelines to evaluate 'key' behavior of an AQM. This will include
relevant discussions about metrics, topology and deployment

- *-aqm-eval-suites-*: this draft would be an AQM evaluation suites which
would consider specific networks conditions with respective specific
metrics

We believe that such splitting would let us integrate the various
comments from the group and be more flexible for discussions and
agreements on the content of each draft.
We will try to submit an update as soon as possible and we welcome
comments and discussions.

Kind regards,

The authors

----- Mail original -----
De: "Preethi Natarajan" <[email-masked]>
À: [email-masked]
Envoyé: Mercredi 5 Mars 2014 06:17:19
Objet: [aqm] Evaluation Guidelines: Next Steps

Hello AQMers, 

Based on the discussions today at the WG session and other hallway conversations, it seems that the following are possible options: 

    1. Split the current version into multiple drafts as appropriate: The draft in its current version is bloated [aka "ContentBloat" :)], and can be logically separated out into multiple drafts. One way to split -- (I) a generic evaluations draft that focuses on a common denominator of goals/metrics expected out of an AQM scheme irrespective of deployment scenario (DC, 3G etc), and (ii) one or more drafts for specific network environments such as 3G/LTE, Data center discussing special goals and/or metrics. There could be other ways of splitting the draft, lets discuss those as well. Splitting gives a de-bloated generic evaluations draft that may be easier to process and get consensus on. WG can focus on special network scenarios drafts after that. 
    2. Generic evaluations draft contents/organization: Assuming (1), the next question is what should be contents of the generic draft. Based on discussions today, the draft should first discuss goals along with motivation for each goal, followed by metrics that make sense for each goal. I.e., metrics driven by the goals. The draft will also include generic evaluation criteria to evaluate an AQM against each goal. 

Thanks, 
Preethi 

_______________________________________________
aqm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/aqm