Subject: Re: [aqm] ECT(1)

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 00:13:13 +0100

Jonathan and AQM list,

As promised, here's the new draft with a comparison of competing 
identifiers in Appendix A, ending with a summary table.
The body of the draft is very short - a couple of pages solely to define 
the chosen identifier.

It's got tsvwg in the filename, not AQM, because the transport services 
(tsv) wg owns maintenance of the ECN (and Diffserv) standards.

Bob

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-00.txt
Date: 	Mon, 19 Oct 2015 16:06:40 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Koen De Schepper <[email-masked]>, Ing-jyh 
Tsang <[email-masked]>, Bob Briscoe 
<[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
<[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Bob Briscoe and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id
Revision:	00
Title:		Identifying Modified Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Semantics for Ultra-Low Queuing Delay
Document date:	2015-10-19
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		22
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-00

Abstract:
    This specification defines the identifier to be used on IP packets
    for a new network service called low latency, low loss and scalable
    throughput (L4S).  It is similar to the original (or 'Classic')
    Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN).  'Classic' ECN marking was
    required to be equivalent to a drop, both when applied in the network
    and when responded to by a transport.  Unlike 'Classic' ECN marking,
    the network applies the L4S identifier more immediately and more
    aggressively than drop, and the transport response to each mark is
    reduced and smoothed relative to that for drop.  The two changes
    counterbalance each other so that the bit-rate of an L4S flow will be
    roughly the same as a 'Classic' flow under the same conditions.
    However, the much more frequent control signals and the finer
    responses to them result in ultra-low queuing delay without
    compromising link utilization, even during high load.  Examples of
    new active queue management (AQM) marking algorithms and examples of
    new transports (whether TCP-like or real-time) are specified
    separately.  The new L4S identifier is the key piece that enables
    them to interwork and distinguishes them from 'Classic' traffic.  It
    gives an incremental migration path so that existing 'Classic' TCP
    traffic will be no worse off, but it can be prevented from degrading
    the ultra-low delay and loss of the new scalable transports.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat