Subject: [aqm] Joel Jaeggli's No Objection on draft-ietf-aqm-ecn-benefits-06: (with COMMENT)

From: "Joel Jaeggli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 00:14:32 -0700

Joel Jaeggli has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-aqm-ecn-benefits-06: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-ecn-benefits/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The document fails to note that devices exist which still are or can be
configured to use the tos byte as part of a hash key and therefore may
induce extremely odd behavior including reordering or due to hashing to a
stateful device, connection resets in the face of ecn capability
signaling.

While we see these are rare they nevertheless still exist.

The canonical example of a network device doing this probably being junos
enhanced hash key  which still supports this in contemporary code.