Subject: [aqm] Document Action: 'The FlowQueue-CoDel Packet Scheduler and Active Queue Management Algorithm' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-aqm-fq-codel-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 07:05:11 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The FlowQueue-CoDel Packet Scheduler and Active Queue Management
   Algorithm'
  (draft-ietf-aqm-fq-codel-06.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Active Queue Management and Packet
Scheduling Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Spencer Dawkins and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-fq-codel/

Technical Summary

   This memo presents the FQ-CoDel hybrid packet scheduler/AQM
   algorithm, a powerful tool for fighting bufferbloat and reducing
   latency.

   FQ-CoDel mixes packets from multiple flows and reduces the impact of
   head of line blocking from bursty traffic.  It provides isolation for
   low-rate traffic such as DNS, web, and videoconferencing traffic.  It
   improves utilisation across the networking fabric, especially for
   bidirectional traffic, by keeping queue lengths short; and it can be
   implemented in a memory- and CPU-efficient fashion across a wide
   range of hardware.

Working Group Summary

An interesting aspect of this document is the combined use of CoDel with 
FQ for improving flow-isolation properties. The working group had early 
discussions about the differences between FQ and scheduling mechanisms 
versus more pure AQM algorithms (like CoDel).  This resulted in draft-
ietf-aqm-fq-implementation, which describes the terminology and 
construction of hybrid systems.  Any early disagreement in the WG about 
this seems to have subsided after the subsequent discussions and work to 
resolve terminology and scope.

Document Quality

Yes, there are existing implementations and deployments, including in 
the Linux kernel.  There have been other implementation efforts in 
addition to the editors, and questions have been shared on the AQM 
mailing list, with clarifications posted in draft updates.  The Linux 
implementation is from the editors of the document, and an independent 
implementation in FreeBSD was done by Rasool As-Saadi at the Swinburne 
University.

Personnel

Wes Eddy ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd.  Martin 
Stiemerling is the responsible AD.

---

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 16:13:14 +0200

Dear RFC Editor,

based on discussion in the last call of this doc, there are two editorial 
changes that need to be applied with the AUTH48 for this document and that 
were missed in the announcement. Please apply the following changes:

CURRENT:
"It is a powerful tool for solving bufferbloat [BLOAT], and we believe it to 
be safe to turn on by default, as has already happened in a number of Linux 
distributions.“

NEW:
"It is a powerful tool for solving bufferbloat [BLOAT], and has already been 
turned on by default in a number of Linux distributions.“

and

CURRENT:
"We believe it to be a safe default and encourage people running Linux to 
turn it on: It is a massive improvement over the previous default FIFO queue.“

NEW:
"In addition, a BSD implementation is available. All data resulting from 
these trials has shown FQ-CoDel to be a massive improvement over the previous 
default FIFO queue, and people are encouraged to turn it on."

Thanks,
Mirja

On 03.04.2016 16:05, The IESG wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> aqm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/aqm
>