Subject: [aqm] Document Action: 'A PIE-Based AQM for DOCSIS Cable Modems' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-aqm-docsis-pie-02.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 04:38:41 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A PIE-Based AQM for DOCSIS Cable Modems'
  (draft-ietf-aqm-docsis-pie-02.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Active Queue Management and Packet
Scheduling Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Spencer Dawkins and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-docsis-pie/

Technical Summary

   Cable modems based on the DOCSIS(R) specification provide broadband
   Internet access to over one hundred million users worldwide.  In some
   cases, the cable modem connection is the bottleneck (lowest speed)
   link between the customer and the Internet.  As a result, the impact
   of buffering and bufferbloat in the cable modem can have a
   significant effect on user experience.  The CableLabs DOCSIS 3.1
   specification introduces requirements for cable modems to support an
   Active Queue Management (AQM) algorithm that is intended to alleviate
   the impact that buffering has on latency sensitive traffic, while
   preserving bulk throughput performance.  In addition, the CableLabs
   DOCSIS 3.0 specifications have also been amended to contain similar
   requirements.  This document describes the requirements on Active
   Queue Management that apply to DOCSIS equipment, including a
   description of the "DOCSIS-PIE" algorithm that is required on DOCSIS
   3.1 cable modems.

Working Group Summary

There were no extraordinary events in the WG process on this document.

Document Quality

The document quality is high.  Implementations would likely be done from 
the DOCSIS spec itself rather than this document, which is really just 
tying together the IETF AQM work with what has been completed earlier in 
the DOCSIS specifications.

Personnel

Wesley Eddy ([email-masked]) is the shepherd and Martin Stiemerling 
([email-masked]) is the AD.