Subject: [aqm] Last Call: <draft-ietf-aqm-pie-07.txt> (PIE: A Lightweight Control Scheme To Address the Bufferbloat Problem) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 05:48:27 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Active Queue Management and
Packet Scheduling WG (aqm) to consider the following document:
- 'PIE: A Lightweight Control Scheme To Address the Bufferbloat Problem'
  <draft-ietf-aqm-pie-07.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-05-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Bufferbloat is a phenomenon where excess buffers in the network cause
   high latency and jitter. As more and more interactive applications
   (e.g. voice over IP, real time video streaming and financial
   transactions) run in the Internet, high latency and jitter degrade
   application performance. There is a pressing need to design
   intelligent queue management schemes that can control latency and
   jitter; and hence provide desirable quality of service to users.

   This document presents a lightweight active queue management design,
   called PIE (Proportional Integral controller Enhanced), that can
   effectively control the average queueing latency to a target value.
   Simulation results, theoretical analysis and Linux testbed results
   have shown that PIE can ensure low latency and achieve high link
   utilization under various congestion situations. The design does not
   require per-packet timestamp, so it incurs very small overhead and is
   simple enough to implement in both hardware and software.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-pie/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-pie/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2540/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2123/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2187/