Subject: [aqm] RFC 8087 on The Benefits of Using Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 14:18:15 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8087

        Title:      The Benefits of Using Explicit 
                    Congestion Notification (ECN) 
        Author:     G. Fairhurst, M. Welzl
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 46449
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-aqm-ecn-benefits-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8087

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8087

The goal of this document is to describe the potential benefits of
applications using a transport that enables Explicit Congestion
Notification (ECN).  The document outlines the principal gains in
terms of increased throughput, reduced delay, and other benefits when
ECN is used over a network path that includes equipment that supports
Congestion Experienced (CE) marking.  It also discusses challenges
for successful deployment of ECN.  It does not propose new algorithms
to use ECN nor does it describe the details of implementation of ECN
in endpoint devices (Internet hosts), routers, or other network
devices.

This document is a product of the Active Queue Management and Packet Scheduling Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC