Subject: [aqm] Warren Kumari's Yes on draft-ietf-aqm-codel-07: (with COMMENT)

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2017 10:44:09 -0700

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-aqm-codel-07: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-codel/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that this is a useful document - I also think that it would make
a good introductory document to describe queuing for e.g a collage class.

I do have some readability suggestions to make it even better; these do
not need any action, but if the authors happen to edit the document for
any other reason, they may want to address them.

1: I found the overall structure of the document a little odd -- I'm
assuming that this is an artifact of its history, or merging multiple
documents into one, or similar. It starts off with a nice description of
queuing and CoDel. It then gets all technical with the pseudo-code (which
was really helpful). Where it feels a little odd is that it then suddenly
goes back to being much more introductory feeling (Section 5 - ), and
feels like it repeats some of the earlier material. Reformatting it all
to address this seems like overkill, but perhaps a readers note to
suggest people who want more background should skip ahead then come
back.

2: Section 1.  Introduction
- "determined set point derived from maximizing the network power metric"
-- I'd suggest referencing Section 5.2 where power is explained (or, if
we assume readers understand this, section 5.2 can be dropped).

3: Section 3.  Overview of the Codel AQM
Sojourn time is a really important concept in this document, but it isn't
really defined - Section 5.1 is closest to defining it, but still not
great.

4: Section 3.1
"The MTU size can be set adaptively to the largest packet seen so far or
can be read from the driver."
It was unclear what driver -- perhaps "interface driver" or simply
"interface"?

5: Section 3.2 has an opening parens but no closing one ("known or
measure (though ...").
This is a tiny nit, but set off my OCD tendencies :-)

6: Section 5.1
"We use this insight in the  pseudo-code for CoDel later in the draft.)
 - earlier in the draft...

Section 5.2: 
AIMD TCP could use a reference.

---

From: "Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 14:02:36 -0400

Hi Warren,

thanks for your comments. There will probably be another version so it should be easy to incorporate your comments! Also the comment to have section 5 earlier was made several times; so probably that will happen as well. Thanks!

Mirja

> Am 07.04.2017 um 13:44 schrieb Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> aqm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/aqm

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2017 12:06:50 -0700

+1 to Mirja's response. I'll do some restructuring. Thanks for your
comments!

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF) <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Warren,
>
> thanks for your comments. There will probably be another version so it
> should be easy to incorporate your comments! Also the comment to have
> section 5 earlier was made several times; so probably that will happen as
> well. Thanks!
>
> Mirja
>
>