Subject: [arch-d] Re: [Architecture-discuss] QoS guarantees (RE: Mobility and multi-homing)

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 21:33:52 +0100

--On 2. november 2005 11:52 -0800 Fred Baker <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If you sell an SLA that mentions bandwidth, and AFAIK most ISPs do, I
> think you'll agree that the SLA is not against dinosaur-killing
> asteroids. It is about the service you will deliver to a specified
> customer during a finite period of time at a cost under normal
> conditions. I'd really suggest that if we want to have this  discussion,
> we don't branch into put-downs and hyperbole. It doesn't  help.

wasn't intending to be hyperbolic - just pointing out that the word 
"guarantee" shouldn't be read as "absolute certainty", but "reasonable 
reassurance" - that might be so obvious by now that I'm beating in open 
doors; not an useful exercise....

> You have two levels of guarantees under discussion here. One is the  base
> SLA - "you pay me $$$ and I will deliver <MBPS with lots of  other
> attributes>". That is the state of play today. Those who are  discussing
> integrated services negotiation at a finer level are  discussion
> something related-but-different. "Given that you are  delivering <SLA>, I
> intend to use part of it for a real-time service  that doesn't adapt or
> has at most limited ability to adapt to the  network, and you have agreed
> to support up to <SLA'> of that on my  behalf. If I add an additional
> session with <flowspec>  characteristics, would I still be within
> <SLA'>?" The "guarantee"  relates to the network's ability to deliver a
> service to an inelastic  application within a larger SLA at a time, and
> presumably at a cost  or within a budget paid in another way.

I think we're on the same page...... in addition, the supercomputer guys 
and the HD video guys seem to be pushing the amount of traffic offered to 
levels where "effectively infinite" isn't so infinite any more.....

_______________________________________________
Architecture-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss