Subject: [arch-d] Re: [Architecture-discuss] Overall open architectural issues

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:55:14 +0000

Leslie,

I would have thought a useful starting agenda would be the output 
(particularly the initial requirements white paper) of the DARPA NewArch 
project.
<http://www.isi.edu/newarch/>

I wasn't involved directly myself, but my future comms architecture group 
in BT was addressing many of these issues in parallel to NewArch and still is.

On the issue of "dealing with bad traffic" in Pekka's starting list, the 
following draft was recently posted to the tsvwg list for Vancouver:

Re-ECN: Adding Accountability for Causing Congestion to TCP/IP
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-00.txt>
Other file formats:
<http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/B.Briscoe/pubs.html#retcp>

It doesn't discriminate bad from good (so the evil bit of RFC3514 is 
available for other uses ;) but it aims to ensure bad can't cause any more 
congestion than good in the long run (at the user level, as well as the 
flow level and packet level).

It has weaknesses which are largely due to the limited space available in 
the IPv4 header for making it incrementally deployable. It is based on a 
more secure scheme referred to within the I-D, which was intended as a 
longer-term solution as it uses multiple header bits so would require 
widespread support from v6 routers.

Bob

____________________________________________________________________________
Notice: This contribution is the personal view of the author and does not 
necessarily reflect the technical nor commercial direction of BT plc.
____________________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe,                           Networks Research Centre, BT Research
B54/130 Adastral Park,Martlesham Heath,Ipswich,IP5 3RE,UK.   +44 1473 645196 

_______________________________________________
Architecture-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss