Subject: [arch-d] GENI Project and NSF Barriers Ontology

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:59:21 -0500

Should we be talking with or getting participation from the GENI project
(one key member is Dave Clark) as input to architecture discussion, and
the analysis done by NSF on current Barriers to network evolution.  Note
this is being discussed in other technical forums besides the IETF
concerned with the Internet for future deployment and NGNs.  At some
point we may want to consider liaison relationships with those other
forums.

/jim

_______________________________________________
Architecture-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss

---

From: Jeremy George <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:06:30 -0500 (EST)

In this regard a suggestion from a lurker is the final technical
report of the DARPA NewArch project available here:

http://www.isi.edu/newarch/

- Jeremy

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Bound, Jim wrote:

> Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:59:21 -0500
> From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [arch-d] GENI Project and NSF Barriers Ontology
>

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:07:44 -0800

Bound, Jim wrote:
> the analysis done by NSF on current Barriers to network evolution. 

Neither FIND nor GENI are projects.

FIND (Future Internet Design) is one of four components of the upcoming
NeTS program call for proposals (due end Nov), and is aimed at
architecture research.

GENI is a large, proposed testbed initiative program on which to test
architectures, not an architecture research effort per se.

In both cases, analysis was done by individuals who are probably already
lurking on this list.

Joe

---

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:48:26 +0100

>NeTS program call for proposals (due end Nov), and is aimed at

Joe,
could you please provide an URL where this NeTS program is 
authoritatively decribed?
thank you.
jfc

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:08:07 -0800

NeTS:

http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=12765

(FIND is inside NeTS)

- ----

GENI:

http://www.nsf.gov/cise/geni/

Joe

---

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 01:42:58 +0100

>http://www.nsf.gov/cise/geni/

Thank you.
Such projects are US oriented. There also are European, Chinese, etc. 
projects. Plus the ITU. Plus now the open use efforts which may 
result from direct responses to the IGF's demands.

How do you see the IAB and IETF in this context? How would this fit 
with RFC 3935 wich relates the IETF to the current Internet and to 
its core values, which are a mix of ethic and technical orientations 
other projects do not refer to. For example, do you think that we 
should investigate an evolution of the current architecture or a new 
architecture and then the transition?

all the best
jfc