Subject: [arp222] Some concerns about the MOOSE

From: xuxiaohu 41208 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 17:31:29 +0800

Hi,

If I understood the MOOSE correctly, the major contribution of MOOSE is to reduce the MAC forwarding table size by rewriting flat MAC addresses (i.e., source MAC addresses) to hierarchical MAC addresses on the ingress MOOSE switches. However, to introduce the address aggegation capability of IP into Ethernet, the forwarding behavior on Ethernet switch chips would have to be changed from full-matching algorithm to longest-mataching algorithm
. IMHO, this is a big obstacle for MOOSE.

Xiaohu

---

From: Malcolm Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:40:09 +0100 (BST)

At 17:31 today, xuxiaohu 41208 wrote:

> If I understood the MOOSE correctly, the major contribution of MOOSE is to 
> reduce the MAC forwarding table size by rewriting flat MAC addresses 
> (i.e., source MAC addresses) to hierarchical MAC addresses on the ingress 
> MOOSE switches. However, to introduce the address aggegation capability of 
> IP into Ethernet, the forwarding behavior on Ethernet switch chips would 
> have to be changed from full-matching algorithm to longest-mataching 
> algorithm

This is not the case.  I assume you're in the Bar BOF; I'll explain in my 
presentation.

Malcolm

-- 
Malcolm Scott
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory

---

From: xuxiaohu 41208 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:38:35 +0800

Hi,

I left the Barbof since there was an important date at noon. Maybe we can talk during the break.

Xiaohu Xu
Huawei Technologies Co.,Ltd