Subject: [art] Request for review of draft-diaz-lzip-00

From: Antonio Diaz Diaz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 17:59:01 +0200

Dear all,

During the latest GNU Hackers Meeting, the maintainers of GNU Wget suggested 
me to register the content encoding name "lzip" because they were 
implementing support for it in Wget2. We agreed that it would be a good idea 
to also register the media type "application/lzip". These registrations 
should help prevent the use of "x-lzip" as a content encoding, and prevent 
further deployment of the unregistered media type "application/x-lzip". I 
learned about the problems caused by the "x-" prefix at 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6648#appendix-B

After reading a good number of RFCs, I found in section 4.8 of RFC 8126 that 
making these registrations requires the publication of an AD-Sponsored RFC. 
Therefore, I submitted an Interned Draft[1] and am writing to this list in 
the hope that it is the right place to request review and sponsoring.

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-diaz-lzip/

Two weeks ago I sent the entry for the media type application/lzip to the 
[email-masked] mailing list for review. No answer yet.

Lzip is a compressed format designed, written, and tested with great care to 
replace most uses of gzip and bzip2. The reference implementation has been 
in stable status since 2009, and is widely deployed. Most archivers support 
the lzip format. Many browsers and package managers support the media type 
as application/x-lzip.

The IANA Time Zone Database[2] is distributed in lzip format (and the IANA 
server identifies the tar.lz files as application/x-lzip).

[2] http://www.iana.org/time-zones

Thanks in advance,
Antonio.