Subject: Re: [Asrg] Darwin's War

From: "John Fenley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:07:58 -0600

>From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
>Okay.  Then what kind of marker would indicate that a message is something 
>you want to receive?  Assume for a minute that if they lie, you get to have 
>them drawn and quartered--so there's sufficient oomph to keep it accurate.

If the reciever has the ability to truly opt out, then that is all the claws 
that system needs.

John Fenley

_________________________________________________________________
STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:39:16 -0400

At 9:07 PM -0600 4/29/03, John Fenley wrote:
>>Okay.  Then what kind of marker would indicate that a message is 
>>something you want to receive?  Assume for a minute that if they 
>>lie, you get to have them drawn and quartered--so there's 
>>sufficient oomph to keep it accurate.
>
>If the reciever has the ability to truly opt out, then that is all 
>the claws that system needs.

Not if you are doing content markers.  You need a way to tell them 
that the marker is wrong.  But for 90% of the user's I think you are 
probably right.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/   Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: J C Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:27:24 -0700

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:39:16 -0400 

> that the marker is wrong.  But for 90% of the user's I think you are

As kids were taught to say, "Excuse me," before interrupting, or in
fact, before speaking to any adult we didn't know personally.  (Okay,
you might not have been, but I was.)

Can't the same pattern be applied to email?

Before you can send a message to someone you don't know, you have to
receive their consent.  No consent request, and consent granting, means
no message is delivered to the end-user.  Finis.  The grant can even be
handled automatically by the MUA.

-- 
J C Lawrence                
---------(*)                Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas. 
[email-masked]               He lived as a devil, eh?		  
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/  Evil is a name of a foeman, as I live.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:16:10 -0400

>handled automatically by the MUA.

This is orthogonal to markers indicating the type of content.
And it can't be handled automatically by the MUA, but the MUA can 
mediate the interaction--if someone will bother to write a standard 
for it.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/   Writings on Technology and Society