Subject: [Asrg] overlooking the obvious

From: matthew richards <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:39:08 -0700

when all else fails, USE A DICTIONARY! there's no point in inventing 
new definitions for words that already have them.

6 entries found for identity.
i·den·ti·ty   Audio pronunciation of identity ( P )  Pronunciation 
Key  (-dnt-t)
n. pl. i·den·ti·ties

    1. The collective aspect of the set of characteristics by which a 
thing is definitively recognizable or known: "If the broadcast group 
is the financial guts of the company, the news division is its public 
identity" (Bill Powell).
    2. The set of behavioral or personal characteristics by which an 
individual is recognizable as a member of a group.
    3. The quality or condition of being the same as something else.
    4. The distinct personality of an individual regarded as a 
persisting entity; individuality.
    5. Mathematics.
          1. An equation that is satisfied by any number that replaces 
the letter for which the equation is defined.
          2. Identity element.

---

From: Jim Youll <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:52:09 -0400

>new definitions for words that already have them.

I believe the question concerned not what the word-wise definition of 
"identity" is, but rather, what that means for implementation and 
deployment in the real world where we are not beginning from 
scratch... and where we the concept of "identity" (which as your 
definitions reveal, prescribes fairly rigid constraints) must be 
fitted into a world of people, machines and practices that has not, 
to date, endured such constraints.

>is the financial guts of the company, the news division is its 
>public identity" (Bill Powell).
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg