Subject: [Asrg] [ASRG]Other Ideas?

From: "John Fenley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:41:16 -0600

I was wondering if anyone else has a solution to the spam problem.
John Fenley

_________________________________________________________________
MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Brad Spencer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:51:40 -0500

>I was wondering if anyone else has a solution to the spam problem.

How well can you describe the problem?

If it has parts will a solution that has components that address different 
parts satisfy you?

How much are you willing to pay (what level of resources might be available)?

But the main question is: can you describe the problem?

It is a serious question.

---

From: Chuq Von Rospach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:42:03 -0700

> I was wondering if anyone else has a solution to the spam problem.

the easiest solution is to define it as "legal and acceptable". Would 
that solution make many people happy?

Can you define a solution for spam without a definition of spam? What 
is the problem we're supposed to solve?

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 00:26:06 -0400

At 6:42 PM -0700 4/10/03, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>Can you define a solution for spam without a definition of spam? 
>What is the problem we're supposed to solve?

That is actually something I said I was going to try and do a few 
weeks ago, and never did.  I may try and make another pass at it this 
weekend if I can avoid getting tempted to respond to messages on this 
list.

I believe that it is possible to describe the *problems* that we are 
trying to solve without discussing spam or consent.  There are 
slightly different sets of problems for ISPs vs. end-users.  And for 
personal accounts vs. business.  And a number of these problems (e.g. 
massive numbers of bounces) are not solely caused by spam.  Given a 
description of the problems, then it should be possible to look at 
proposed solutions and determine which part of the space they solve 
and which they don't.  That would (in theory) bypass the whole issue 
of definitions and consent.  Particular *solutions* certainly may 
require defining consent.  But I don't believe that describing the 
problem space requires it.

Yell at me Monday if I haven't written something up.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/   Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Jon Kyme" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:07:58 +0100

> trying to solve without discussing spam or consent.  
> 

I (for one) am holding my breath 
o,o
(.)