Subject: RE: [Asrg] Hello- and my 2 cents

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 06:14:23 -0700

> > Does "within an ISP" count too?  I'm just wondering what 
> percentage of
> > email users work in companies (with internal email systems) compared
> > to the personal users and people who don't have a corporate mail
> > system.  My gut tells me the latter is larger, which could be a
> > problem.
> 
> I have dealt with a number of startups, small companies, traveling
> executives, and even a local county government department who use
> Yahoo/MSN/Hotmail for their organisational email.  

This is quite common in several communities. it is not at all unusual
for lawyers to use AOL for their mail. This is no longer so common of
course.

However corporate mail solutions are actually quite rare in terms of
the proportion of users they serve. Most smaller companies buy 
email hosting as a service from a provider such as their DNS 
registrar or their ISP.

Even if a small company is runing something like exchange the first
point of contact is quite often some sort of MTA gateway running at
the ISP relaying to the local service. There is a small number of 
concentration points that the messages pass through.

Mail is a service that most people care a lot about. There are very
few mail services that do not have someone responsible for them on
a daily basis.

		Phill

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Jim Youll <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:22:04 -0400

>few mail services that do not have someone responsible for them on

Most of my former clients - including the small law firms - now run
in-house mail servers and don't have someone full-time to watch over them.
They treat them just like their in-house PABX/KSU phone and voicemail
systems and outsource the support as needed.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Jim Youll <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:40:14 -0400

At 6:14 -0700 4/23/03, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
>Mail is a service that most people care a lot about.
>

Just to back that portion of yuor statement up with some numbers, 
this just arrived:

>http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20030422S0008
>
>"E-mail More Important Than the Phone In Business, Study Shows
>April 22, 2003
>[...]
>
>A survey of businesspeople at 387 organizations found that 80 
>percent believed e-mail was more important than the telephone in 
>communicating with coworkers, customers, or partners, market 
>researcher META Group said.
>
>Just as surprising for analysts were findings that 74 percent of the 
>respondents believed being without e-mail would present a greater 
>hardship than losing telephone service. "

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 06:44:08 -0700

Jim,

JY> Most of my former clients - including the small law firms - now run
JY> in-house mail servers and don't have someone full-time to watch over them.
JY> They treat them just like their in-house PABX/KSU phone and voicemail
JY> systems and outsource the support as needed.

yup.  that's the model to assume, if things are going to scale for the
Internet.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:[email-masked]>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <http://www.brandenburg.com>
 Sunnyvale, CA  USA <tel:+1.408.246.8253>, <fax:+1.866.358.5301>