Subject: Re: [Asrg] my idea

From: "Kurt Magnusson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:18:41 -0200

What I can see it have some similarities with the challenge-responce type of 
systems under discussion, though technically simpler, more like pgp. As a 
e-mail operator though, I would not chose this system today, due to the lack 
of global key handling problems, I would then prefer client based 
whitelists, that are similar in function. And you do not solve the problem 
of "first contact" what I can see. And what happens if a spammer succed to 
register himself?

What happens, would be like in a mailsystem a previous employer bought, when 
you sent mail out, you either had to receive a mail from that person or 
phoned the central operations, to enter the address into the mail-out table. 
And every-one got raving mad, since it worked against e-mail patterns, that 
are both recurrent and ad hoc connections. I did solve that with a fixed 
local mailbox connected to sendmail, real address on first line and 
letter-rewrite/addressfaking. The product, Lotus EMX Softswitch, did 
implement a similar solution 2 years later.

But you do not want to wait to get a password or a challenge. I must admit 
though, that I might misunderstand the flow for the "personal" user some.

Regards Kurt

>From: David Grier <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [Asrg] my idea
>Date: 10 Apr 2003 10:41:48 -0400
>
>Let me apologize in advance if this has already been suggested. I have
>been reading the list since the beginning but I find it difficult to
>keep up with the amount of mail that comes to it.
>
>Here is my idea:
>
>This is divided into two types of email. Commercial and non-commercial.
>All Non-commercial and commercial email servers are registered as such.
>
>Non-commercial:
>
>Every local email address gets a key - generated by a key server at
>their email provider. The key is given a password by the user. This
...........
>details because I don't know if anyone cares. I would like feed back
>though. Brutality is always welcome.
>
>Thanks,
>Dave
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>Asrg mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

_________________________________________________________________
MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg