Subject: RE: [Asrg] How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

From: "Bob Atkinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 10:34:21 -0800

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Vernon
> Schryver
> Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 6:38 PM
> To: [email-masked]

> I think there is clear and convincing evidence that most spam carries
> From values that are owned by the spam sender and that would be
properly
> authenticated by any authentication protocol usable by free mail
providers
> and sloppy ISPs during at least the start of a spew of spam.

Suffice it to say that this is far from a universally held perspective.
Indeed, data I myself have seen from datasets millions of messages in
size explicitly contradicts it.

	Bob

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:43:48 -0700 (MST)

> From: "Bob Atkinson" <[email-masked]>

> > From values that are owned by the spam sender and that would be properly
> > authenticated by any authentication protocol usable by free mail providers

I'd be happy to be proven wrong.  Do you have access to data from Hotmail?
From readily apparent facts outside Hotmail and inferences supported by
those facts, I've long believed that most of the Hotmail addresses in spam
are legitimately owned by spammers, but soon terminated by hotmail.
How many of the complaints that Hotmail receives about spam concern
addresses that were never valid or were clearly owned by someone other
than the spammer?

For a while, Hotmail was regularly announcing lists of addresses used
in spam and saying they were all "forged," including addresses that
were known to be owned by the spammer in question.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg