Subject: Re: in essence [Asrg] rules!

From: "John Fenley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 15:09:25 -0600

and how do we make them stop SENDING it?

>From: matthew richards <[email-masked]>
>
>we A: take away their incentive (profit)
>we B: develop a new system or supplement the current system in such a way 
>that it allows email users to effectively and efficiently block, filter or 
>bypass spam.
>we C: analyze spammer strategy and develop passive or aggressive 
>countermeasures.
>we D: ________________________

Personaly, I think B and C handle A as well.
(I'm just putting the finishing touches on it)

>>If we answer this question, we win. The contest is over.
I feel good about it.
John Fenley

_________________________________________________________________
MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*.  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: matthew richards <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 15:13:28 -0700

>and how do we make them stop SENDING it?

that all depends on what you're willing to sacrifice:

first you need global legislation that implies legal penalties for email abuse.
second you need to know the identity and physical address of the spammer.
third you need to file an official complaint.
fourth you wait for the technologically clueless judiciary system to 
determine the "truth" and pass judgement.

this process of course will take anywhere from six months to four 
years, cost lots of money, and have an uncertain outcome. and that is 
assuming that "global legislation" (a veritable pipe dream) is ever 
drafted.

the short answer is that we can't "make" spammers do anything, any 
more than they can make us read their advertisements. i think it's 
important that people are free to do what they want; the problem is 
that people often abuse this freedom. the only way to change that is 
to change human nature, or to take away certain liberties that 
provide an opportunity for abuse.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg