Subject: [Asrg] ??? E-Mail Service Providers Unite in Bid to Stop Spam ???

From: "Jon Kyme" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:17:06 +0100

I saw this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/28/technology/28AOL.html

Summary:
"The companies — America Online, Microsoft and Yahoo — are calling for
technical changes in the way e-mail is passed around cyberspace to make it
easier to determine who really sent it and what it is about."

Did I miss something? What's this about? 

--
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Bob Wyman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:38:02 -0400

Something potentially related: (Sorry if this has already been mentioned
on the list...)
	Hotmail has started to put special flags on messages that are
sent by Hotmail or MSN customer service. The things show up in the inbox
with a butterfly icon that is intended to indicate that the message
actually originated from customer service rather than carrying a fake
sender id that merely appears to be from customer service. Thus, for
this tiny, but important class of mail, users have a way of
"authenticating" the sender name.

		bob wyman

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jon
Kyme
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 7:17 AM
To: ASRG
Subject: [Asrg] ??? E-Mail Service Providers Unite in Bid to Stop Spam
???

I saw this: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/28/technology/28AOL.html

Summary:
"The companies - America Online, Microsoft and Yahoo - are calling for
technical changes in the way e-mail is passed around cyberspace to make
it easier to determine who really sent it and what it is about."

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:20:53 -0400

At 12:17 PM +0100 4/28/03, Jon Kyme wrote:
>"The companies ó America Online, Microsoft and Yahoo ó are calling for

This, the spammer suite, the ESPC Proposal.  I'd say everyone's 
jockeying for position before the FTC hearings 
(http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/04/spamforum.htm).

According to the NYT article, AOL/MS/Yahoo don't have a plan 
yet--they've just made it clear that they will do something together. 
So if you've got a solution which requires a lot of mail servers to 
make a sudden change--I'd say that's where you should be looking.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/   Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Markus Stumpf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:39:31 +0200

> make a sudden change--I'd say that's where you should be looking.

Some more info can be found at
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2003/apr03/04-28antispam.asp

	\Maex

-- 
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299
"The security, stability and reliability of a computer system is reciprocally
 proportional to the amount of vacuity between the ears of the admin"
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Apr 2003 18:09:33 -0500

>     http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2003/apr03/04-28antispam.asp

Thanks for the link.  It does have a few more details, but no where
near enough to make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Actually, this answer kind of gives me the willies:

: PressPass: Do you see a need for more legislation in this space?
:
: Arbogast: We view legislation as a key part of combating spam, and
: are actively encouraging stronger laws. For example, we've been
: suggesting stronger anti-fraud and "anti-harvesting" measures to
: make it easier to go after the worst spammers. A number of bills
: have also been proposed that would require unsolicited commercial
: e-mail to be labeled with tags such as "ADV" in the subject line, to
: signify that the e-mail is advertising. While this won't solve any
: problems all by itself, if this idea were to be combined with
: innovative e-mail filtering capabilities and a "safe harbor"
: approach - which would allow commercial e-mail senders to avoid this
: labeling if they were to reliably commit to a set of
: industry-accepted e-mail guidelines - we would then have a framework
: that could give people control over what categories of e-mail reach
: their Inboxes.

By "industry-accepted e-mail guidelines", I hope they don't mean
the "bulk email senders" industry.  Details are critical here.

Wasn't MicroSoft just trying to get Washington State's anti-spam law
weakened?

-wayne