Subject: Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

From: Kaitlin Duck Sherwood <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Apr 2003 10:19:01 -0800

On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 19:48, Kee Hinckley wrote:
> At 7:27 PM -0500 3/29/03, mathew wrote:
> >>But it's not email.  It doesn't have a number of the necessary 
> >>attributes for person-to-person email.

I don't think email-pull is a silver bullet, but it is a handy lead
pellet.  Enough lead pellets will kill the beast just as well as a
single silver bullet.

When I started this thread, I was *not* proposing that something
RSS-like be a *replacement* for SMTP delivery, but an *addition* to SMTP
delivery.

The idea would not be to poll everyone -- your grandmother, your niece,
your old college roommate -- every ten seconds, but to poll a limited
number of addresses infrequently.  I had in mind things like CNET
newsletters, affiliate programs, etc.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Chuq Von Rospach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 10:44:15 -0800

> pellet.  Enough lead pellets will kill the beast just as well as a

if it's a rabbit, yes. If it's a badger, maybe. If it's a bear, it'll 
kick your butt and have you for dinner while you're reloading.

> newsletters, affiliate programs, etc.
which is where a lot of this stuff is starting to move. If you can get 
some of this content out of the SMTP stream, it's effectively 
whitelisted, so we don't have to worry about blocking it any more, 
making our job on other stuff marginally easier.

It's not a way to solve the problem, but it's definitely a way to 
SIMPLIFY it. and we need a bunch of those, too.

---

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:38:24 -0700 (MST)

> From: Kaitlin Duck Sherwood <[email-masked]>

> ...
> ...

When it applies, it would be helpful to make that distinction very
clearly as well as early and often.  All of the alternates SMTP I've
seen proposed here have appeared to be intended to be one-stop-shopping
replacements for STMP that will cure spam and cancer and bring world
peace.

An idea that only intended to be a supplement for SMTP should be
evaluated differently than an SMTP replacement.  It's far easier to
believe a supplement could be deployed and used than any replacement
or addition that must be used be used by 400 million people before
it has any effect on spam.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 19:02:12 -0500

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 10:44:15AM -0800, Chuq Von Rospach wrote

> which is where a lot of this stuff is starting to move. If you can
> get some of this content out of the SMTP stream, it's effectively

  This actually sounds very workable.  *AND YOU DON'T NEED A BRAND NEW
PROTOCOL* !!!  APOP or NNTP or webmail over SSL would all work just
fine.

-- 
Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg