Subject: Re: [Asrg] Challenge to Challenge response

From: Art Pollard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:33:04 -0600

At 11:26 AM 4/20/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>OK this is a research group, how about someone tries an experiment?
><SNIP>
>After running the experiment for some time the correspondents who did not
>reply to the challenge are contacted, are told about the experiment and
>asked to fill in a survey on why they did not respond, one of the questions
>being how many such responses they have been presented with in the past.

I don't think that this would be a fair comparison and I don't believe the 
results would be useful.

Why?  Most challenge - response systems are admittedly a pain to use 
currently.  And the reason why they are a pain is that the only way they 
are currently implemented is either by sending an e-mail back and asking 
the user to do something (such as reply or click on a link).  This is 
typically not done in an easy to do fashion.

However, I believe that if there were a protocol set up for challenge - 
response systems the challenge - response mechanism could be built directly 
into the mail clients.  Because of this, it would be possible for the 
challenge-response mechanism to be much more intuitive and much less 
cumbersome than it is today.  Any challenge response system test such as 
you just described would short change the entire challenge-response 
concept.  Again, if the challenge / response system were built directly 
into the mail client, it would be much more intuitive and less cumbersome 
than the systems that are currently in place.

-Art
-- 
Art Pollard
http://www.lextek.com/
Suppliers of High Performance Text Retrieval Engines.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:03:39 -0400

At 11:33 AM -0600 4/22/03, Art Pollard wrote:
>I don't think that this would be a fair comparison and I don't 
>believe the results would be useful.

Agreed, but for a different reason.  Anyone who can't afford to use a 
challenge response system wouldn't volunteer.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/   Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg