Subject: [Asrg] New take on emerging idea.

From: "John Constantinescu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 10:01:26 -0600

An Idea poped into my head the other day, about E-stamps, and whitelists, 
and i think i have combined them in a way that truly has a chance to stop 
spam. I would apreciate any suggestions.
my plan is at www.pontifier.com
Thanks
John

_________________________________________________________________
Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Apr 2003 12:59:07 -0500

In <[email-masked]> "John Constantinescu" <[email-masked]> writes:

> An Idea poped into my head the other day, about E-stamps, and
> whitelists, and i think i have combined them in a way that truly has a
> chance to stop spam. I would apreciate any suggestions.
> 

I suggest that you research previous spam ideas more.  While I didn't
read ever detail of your plan, this appears to be basically the age-old
challenge-response system.  This kind of system has been discussed at
length on this mailing list.

I think c-r systems might be useful as a last ditch effort to prevent
a false positive from going undetected after the email has been
labelled as spam by other means.  That is, before you toss the almost
certain spam into /dev/null, send a challenge email which outlines
*why* the original email was labelled as spam.  A simplistic c-r
system, which appears to be the "new" idea you are proposing, will
yield many false positives as many people will not respond to the
challenge.

If this is not a basic c-r system, please explain why it is different
than the last half dozen similar proposals.  Otherwise, I doubt too
many people will bother considering your system.

-wayne

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 14:26:56 -0400

At 10:01 AM -0600 4/7/03, John Constantinescu wrote:
>whitelists, and i think i have combined them in a way that truly has 
>a chance to stop spam. I
Sorry, I stopped at:

>The basic idea is "I won't even look at mail from you unless you 
>play my little game".

That attitude is not going to get any system anywhere.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/   Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg