Subject: Re: [Asrg] New take on emerging idea. (Query/C-R system?)

From: "John Fenley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:50:51 -0600

>From: J C Lawrence <[email-masked]>
> > John Fenley wrote:
> > 2 entitys are involved in this: the curator would be paid by the
> > government.  any employees would also be paid by the government.
>
>What government?

The United States Government.

>   I'm a citizen of a little known country in the South Pacific that
>   isn't recognised by the UN...
>
>   My country doesn't permit individual citizens Internet access.  I'm
>   using dialup to a foreign country.
>
>   My country has a new repressive government that wants to snoop and
>   review all email traffic....they can use your system as an audit
>   monitoring tool.
>
>   Hang on we have people starving to death and you want government funds
>   spent on what?
>
>   So this job and facility are going to going to be staffed and run by
>   the lowest bidder, and they will of course do a bang up excellent job,
>   even when times are tough.
>
>   So I can't send email unless I have routability to the central server
>   right?  Ever heard of back hoes or simple routing problems?
>
>   My government is bankrupt.  They haven't paid a salary in more than a
>   year.  Government employees are selling off equipment as a way to
>   live...
>
>I don't think I need go on.

So now it is a budget/"can i trust the Government?" issue, and not an issue 
of wether or not it can be done, or if it would be adopted, or if it will 
work?

John Fenley

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Chuq Von Rospach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:39:57 -0700

> The United States Government.

we'll just add it to the list of responsibilities to ICANN, then. Since 
the universe agrees  it's done a wonderful job so far, that'll be a 
no-brainer.

>
> So now it is a budget/"can i trust the Government?" issue, and not an 
> issue of wether or not it can be done, or if it would be adopted, or 
> if it will work?
>

not at all. JC's just coming up with things to worry about before we 
get to the HARD stuff.

These are things that kill the idea based on 2 minutes of off the top 
of his head thinking, but which are all non-stoppers in any real-world 
environment that includes anyone not living in the continental US, and 
many who do.

Time for me to say it again: most of where stuff like this needs to 
work isn't like where you are.

---

From: J C Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:13:48 -0700

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:50:51 -0600 

> The United States Government.

Most of the world is not American.  A significant percentage of this
list is not American.  Heck, I'm only barely American.  Why impose an
email tax at the governmental level?

> issue of wether or not it can be done, or if it would be adopted, or

No, there's merely one issue among several.  We've already seen the
problems with centralised server systems ala DNS.  There's neither need
or reason to repeat those mistakes.

-- 
J C Lawrence                
---------(*)                Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas. 
[email-masked]               He lived as a devil, eh?		  
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/  Evil is a name of a foeman, as I live.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Chuq Von Rospach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:25:00 -0700

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 07:13  PM, J C Lawrence wrote:

> Most of the world is not American.

And how do you implement this for Cuba? Syria? Libya? Whoever else 
America is not on speaking terms this week? What happens when 
(inevitably) America chooses to use access to this database as a lever 
to force it's access and content policies on the world?

How do you convince the world it won't try that? Not all e-mail users 
like America, or trust America. that includes many americans.