Subject: Re: [Asrg] New take on emerging idea. (Vulnerability)

From: "John Fenley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:28:47 -0600

I did find a flaw that makes my system vulnerable to spammers.
An open relay could be used to spoof an address listed in the database that 
many people are subscribed to, thus bypassing all the systems.
Oh well, I don't know how to solve this.

_________________________________________________________________
Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: J C Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:01:22 -0700

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:28:47 -0600 
John Fenley <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I did find a flaw that makes my system vulnerable to spammers.  An
> open relay could be used to spoof an address listed in the database
> that many people are subscribed to, thus bypassing all the systems.

The typical approach is to authenticate by both Return-Path and From:.
It doesn't prevent the abuse, but it significantly cuts down on its
reach.

-- 
J C Lawrence                
---------(*)                Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas. 
[email-masked]               He lived as a devil, eh?		  
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/  Evil is a name of a foeman, as I live.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg