Subject: [Asrg] Anyone have the text on this bill?

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:28:05 -0400

>Senators' bill takes aim at spam
>
>Move would require return addresses from marketers
>
>Friday, April 11, 2003 Posted:  11:00 AM EDT (1500 GMT)
>WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Two U.S. senators introduced a bill on 
>Thursday seeking to cut down on "spam," the unwanted junk e-mail 
>that by some estimates accounts for 40 percent of e-mail traffic 
>worldwide.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/04/11/spam.bill.reut/index.html

I can find online is S.877 (A bill to regulate interstate commerce by 
imposing limitations and penalties on the transmission of unsolicited 
commercial electronic mail via the Internet.), but Wyden doesn't 
appear to be one of the sponsors and I don't have the text.

The article claims that it would require valid return addresses and 
require state AG's to sue on consumer's behalf (boy I'll bet they'll 
love that).
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/   Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg