Subject: [Asrg] my idea

From: David Grier <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Apr 2003 10:41:48 -0400

Let me apologize in advance if this has already been suggested. I have
been reading the list since the beginning but I find it difficult to
keep up with the amount of mail that comes to it.

Here is my idea:

This is divided into two types of email. Commercial and non-commercial.
All Non-commercial and commercial email servers are registered as such.

Non-commercial:

Every local email address gets a key - generated by a key server at
their email provider. The key is given a password by the user. This
password is given to family and friends whom the email address owner
wishes to receive email from. 

When a user from one Non-commercial email server sends to another
non-commercial email server. The receiving key server checks for valid
user and key combination. If there is no key sent the sending email user
is prompted for the password to the account to which it is sending. The
password is sent encrypted and if accepted the sender receives the
receivers key to store for future use (client or server? I am not sure).
The key server will need to verify valid receiving email address and key
prior to the SMTP server seeing the email.

Commercial mail servers:

Commercial mail senders will need to purchase a sending key from a
commercial key provider. This will help with the validity of the
commercial email sender.

A non-commercial user would need to obtain this commercial key from a
commercial sender via signing up for their list. The user would then
need to add this information to their local key server. This would be an
additional key for saying it's ok to receive. When a commercial email
server sends to it's list of users the user/key combo is validated prior
to the SMTP server seeing the email. If the user/key info does not
match, the sending server would have to drop the receivers address from
the list to prevent future errors.

For backwords compatibility: all key/mail servers would need to be able
to send to non key/mail servers. All key/mail servers would need to be
able to receive from non key servers for a time and not without much
scrutiny. 

This is my basic idea. I won't take up any more time with nagging
details because I don't know if anyone cares. I would like feed back
though. Brutality is always welcome. 

Thanks,
Dave

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg