Subject: [Asrg] domain specific DNS blacklists (or whitelists) [2]

From: Andrzej Filip <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 20:25:37 +0200

Is anybody interested in "field trials" of solution proposed in:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3E18B0B3.43939A35%40Andrzej.Adam.Filip

It has been discussed in the list already:
https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg00053.html

I am ready to provide the m4 file [cf/feature/domain-whitelist.m4 for sendmail 
8.12] required for generating sendmail.cf capable to test presence of specific 
A record  (e.g. 127.0.0.2) - no source code patches are required.

-- 
Andrzej [pl>en: Andrew] Adam Filip http://www.polbox.com/a/anfi/

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: David Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:55:48 -0500

I am interested in this.  I'm using a home-brewed smtp server so I will have 
to alter some source code but it doesn't look too complex.

On Sunday 20 April 2003 01:25 pm, Andrzej Filip wrote:
> I am ready to provide the m4 file [cf/feature/domain-whitelist.m4 for
> sendmail 8.12] required for generating sendmail.cf capable to test presence
> of specific A record  (e.g. 127.0.0.2) - no source code patches are
> required.

---

From: Steven F Siirila <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:19:09 -0500

I would be very interested in seeing this deployed and am willing to do
what I can to get it deployed across the University of Minnesota.

-- 

Steven F. Siirila			Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services			E-mail: [email-masked]
Office of Information Technology	Voice: (612) 626-0244
University of Minnesota
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Tom Bartel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:38:23 -0600

The recent discussions here have been interesting, to say the least... I
wonder, given the efforts here, what is thought about other groups
efforts.  From todays SpamNews: 

http://directmag.com/ar/marketing_email_coalition_floats/index.htm

How does the idea of "legitimate" bulk senders, being "certified", scrub
against any of the technical backend architecture changes being
discussed here.  It seems to me that most any idea holds little promise
with out the cooperation of Top ISP's.  I'm not sure the NAI group has
that.

Tom

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release Date: 4/18/2003

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 01:33:12 -0400

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 10:38:23AM -0600, Tom Bartel wrote

> From todays SpamNews: 

  NAI defines spam as "that which we do not do".  Their membership looks
like an honour roll of MAPS inhabitants.  Some of them have sued their
way off of MAPS.  Topica, after having their Habeas certification
revoked recently, has gone on a tear registring new domain names to send
their emails from... why?  So do you trust them?.

  Assuming people do want to play that game, the easiest form of
"authentication" is IP address(es) of sending MTA(s).  No need for
"secret handshake" or PKI or "certificate".

-- 
Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg