Subject: [Asrg] News: MSFT/AOL/YHOO anti-spam joint effort announced

From: Jim Youll <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:07:32 -0400

// I'll say it again. The total solution to spam requires legal 
action. Here's a good first step.

http://boston.com/dailyglobe2/118/business/E_mail_giants_assail_spam+.shtml

Three of the nation's largest e-mail account providers, normally 
bitter rivals, today are to announce a joint assault on spam, vowing 
to collaboratively hunt down unsavory e-mailers and explore industry 
standards that would curtail the ability to create bulk electronic 
mailings.

Representatives of America Online, Microsoft Corp., and Yahoo Inc. 
stressed that their initiative against unsolicited e-mail is a first 
step in what they hope will be a broader industry effort. The 
proposal lacked specific legislative or technical remedies.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Apr 2003 11:41:26 -0500

In <[email-masked]> Jim Youll <[email-masked]> writes:

> [ ... ]
> Representatives of America Online, Microsoft Corp., and Yahoo
> Inc. stressed that their initiative against unsolicited e-mail is a
> first step in what they hope will be a broader industry effort. The

Great, like the recent ESPC proposal, this one also "lacked specific
legislative or technical remedies."

In another Quote from the article:

: The companies want the industry to examine technical means for
: digitally marking e-mail so that it would be identified more easily
: by users and spam filters. The approved e-mail would have to conform
: to certain criteria, for example, such as unsubscription links that
: work, accurate information from the sender, and subject lines that
: accurately reflect the content of the message.

What happened to the simple confirmed opt-in requirement?

-wayne