Subject: RE: [Asrg] Re: draft-danisch-dns-rr-smtp-01.txt

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 07:59:32 -0700

> > The problem with that is that Hotmail, Yahoo, and most of 
> the rest of
> > the owners of the domain names that appear in SMTP Mail_From senders
> > in the majority of spam instruct their DNS servers to always answer
> > "yes, a.b.c.d authorized" for any and all IP addresses.
> 
> I doubt it. They suffer hugely from bogus addresses in their domain
> space and anything that reduces the huge bounceback plus reduces their
> abuse load plus reduces the bad press they get from appearing to be a
> spam haven will be seen as a good thing.

We can be pretty sure here, Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL and Earthlink all stood
up at the JamSpam meeting and said that hijacking of their domains by
spammers was a major problem for them and they are very interested in
closing that vulnerability.

I would rather go by what the major ISPs have said in a public forum than
go by assertions as to their interests and motives made by people who
have never met or talked to the people concerned.

We have a very clear enemy here, the spam senders. I do not think it is
useful to go arround declaring that all the parties whose input is 
required to enact change are also to be considered guilty until proven
even more guilty.

		Phill
 
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg