Subject: [Asrg] IPR Document Update

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 18:19:38 -0400

The IPR document for the ASRG has been updated. The following was changed:

ADDED: Section 4.2.1. Jakob Nielsen's patent on coordinated filtering. This 
affects systems such as SpamNet, Matador and DCC.

The document can be found at:

http://www.solidmatrix.com/research/asrg/asrg-ipr.html

Yakov

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yakov Shafranovich / <[email-masked]>
SolidMatrix Research, a division of SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"One who watches the wind will never sow, and one who keeps his eyes on
the clouds will never reap" (Ecclesiastes 11:4)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 18:24:41 -0600 (MDT)

> From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>

> affects systems such as SpamNet, Matador and DCC.

Such obviously false analyses are not helpful.  That I trust you
didn't intend to make a mistake and don't know why your analysis
is false for at least one, probably two, and quite possibly all
three of those mechanisms is all the more reason to not offer such
analyses in the future.

Statements about which patents affect which tactics based on ignorance
of those tactics and superficial reading of patent claims asside, your
list of patents could be interesting to people trying to avoid a few
arbitrarily chosen patents, but it would be utterly foolish to rely
on your list instead of a patent search.  Your list can never be
comprehensive without doing a real patent search, and even then one
cannot know about impending patents.

I apologize for this less than friendly note, but potentially damaging
bogus analyses of intellectual property need to be challenged and
squelched.  In the future, please just collect the patents and leave
the analyzing to patent lawyers, or at least people who are familiar
with the various anti-spam mechanisms.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg