Subject: [Asrg] News Article - Testing for humans when SENDING emails

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:27:23 -0400

Just ran across a CNET News.com article describing the concept, seems to be 
a useful way to make sure a human is sending email:

http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-1015247.html

Unfortunately, the article seems to be confuse this system with general 
C/R. Here are some quotes:

---snip---
"But in recent weeks, people using Yahoo Mail have found themselves asked 
to type in camouflaged letters before they can send an e-mail message, in 
an "image verification" method. "

"Yahoo stressed that people sending mail through its system are not 
required to pass a challenge-response test for every message, or even for 
every mail-sending session."

"Instead, in order to keep spammers guessing, Yahoo's system computes what 
the company calls a "user profile." This profile details the frequency with 
which the user normally sends messages and the length of time the user has 
held the account. The system issues a spam challenge when the user 
approaches an individually determined rate limit."
---snip---

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yakov Shafranovich / <[email-masked]>
SolidMatrix Research, a division of SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"One who watches the wind will never sow, and one who keeps his eyes on
the clouds will never reap" (Ecclesiastes 11:4)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg