Subject: Re: [Asrg] HTML-burdened unsolicited mail

From: "Dr. Jeffrey Race" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:57:20 +0700

This issue is well documented in  <http://www.camblab.com/nugget/htmlmail.pdf>

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:07:43 -0400

>This issue is well documented in  <http://www.camblab.com/nugget/htmlmail.pdf>

Interesting read. However, how can we mandate filtering of HTML mail if 
many MUAs use it by default?

---

From: "Dr. Jeffrey Race" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:36:21 +0700

>many MUAs use it by default? 

You bounce it with a diagnostic message telling the user to turn off 
HTML and provide a link to instructions how to do so e.g. the cited
article.

I ALWAYS inform correspondents and list-posters to turn of HTML and
usually receive profuse thanks for doing so.  The senders had no idea
how they were abusing their correspondents.

Basically we are in an educational period where we have to undo the
damage done by some bad decisions by Netscape and MS.   The consequences
are now apparent re HTML.   Even MS realizes the error of its ways (well,
some of them anyway) and is now turning off some default security
threats in its new builds.   

Jeffrey Race