Subject: [Asrg] The Solution To Spam

From: "Mark McCarron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:04:55 +0000

Hi Everyone,

There is a new system under development to prevent spam across the Internet. 
  It is known as 'GIEIS'.  The system is being designed to prevent 100% of 
spam, not just limit its effects.  The system is the conceptual design stage 
and is being prepared for an Internet draft.

We are looking for comments, suggestions, possible weaknesses of the system. 
  Also, I would like it pointed out that this system DOES cope with bulk 
email from legitimate businesses and mailing lists.

To view the system please follow this link,

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/giza.necropolis

Please let me know what you think.

Mark McCarron.

_________________________________________________________________
Get Hotmail on your mobile phone http://www.msn.co.uk/msnmobile

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:17:06 -0400

>Email transmission          has several stages, the majority are 
>transparent to the end user.
>
>1. The Email server          makes a request to begin transmitting 
>by logging onto the 'EAS'.

Don't you mean Email client?

>2. This is passed to the ISP's 'EAS' which, results in transmission 
>of          a graphic with obscured word on it to the client.
>3. The client enters the word into a prompt and the first email is 
>sent          to the 'EAS'.

You make no statement about how often I have to respond to this 
graphic.  Or how any of this works with automatically generated 
messages.  My mailbox has hundreds of automated messages in it every 
day--generated by support systems, cron tasks and other automated 
systems at various machines around the internet.  You can't cut that 
off.

You keep talking about ISPs as though they are the only people who 
run mail servers. You are describing a central database that needs to 
manage information about millions of mail servers from countries 
around the world.  It has to have a dispute mechanism for complaints, 
and it has the power to put any of those companies out of business. 
What government or company would cede that kind of control to an 
unregulated organization?  Also, you have a huge loophole in 
non-commercial mailing lists.  What keeps spammers from repeatedly 
signing up as non-commercial mailing lists, sending out millions of 
messages, and then creating a new list.  Additionally, you have 
vastly underestimated the cost and infrastructure requirements if you 
think you are going to have money left over.

And of course, it suffers from the standard adoption system.  Until 
the majority of the world is using the system, you can't block email 
that doesn't use it.  Therefore early adopters have to suffer through 
the major pain of using the system, but get no benefit.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Anti-Spam Service for your POP Account
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/   Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.

---

From: Troy Rollo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:33:01 +1000

At 21:17 27/06/03 -0400, Kee Hinckley wrote:
[Several good reasons why the proposal is not "the solution" snipped]

You missed a couple:

	It locks out the seriously visually impaired.
	There is no part of this concept, nor in the combination,
		that is "new" in the sense that it hasn't been
		raised previously.
--
Troy Rollo				Chairman, CAUBE.AU
[email-masked]			Executive Director, iCAUCE