Subject: Re: [Asrg] Proposal: Separate ISP(s) for "guaranteed delivery" of email

From: "Kurt Magnusson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:30:04 -0200

At 6/25/03, Walter Dnes wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 23, 2003, Kee Hinckley wrote
>>At 6/23/03, Walter Dnes wrote:
>> >   Many details remain to be filled in.  Comments, suggestions ?
>>
>>1. There are two aspects of depending on email as a business.  One is
>>sending.  But for most businesses receiving is even more important.
>>And that's receiving from end users.  How do you do that without
>>involving spam?
>
>  A business can "receive" via a webform.  As a matter of fact, a
>customer can keep track of their order via webpages.  Businesses can
>get around spam by using webforms for incoming requests.

Look at the Automotive industry, for some years they have had closed
large scale "extranets" in form of ANX, ENX and JNX. Internet-like
networks with IPSec encryption as standard and trusts between them.
In US it seems that also Health Care operators have bought access from
ANX. Set up mail to traverse this net and you can follow the traffic in the
operator logs, who connected to who for smtp. Disconnect this mail from
Internet and you have no spam this way. Then do as Walter says, use
web forms for Internet contacts.  When the mobile becomes a Palm or CE,
this is no longer a real problem.

Unfortunately the proposed global cooperation, Global Automotive Network
Exchange (GNX) have yet to materialize. But when the cost of security soars
and the Automotive industry gets away from their present ownership attitude,
getting the large ISP's to take over and operate it 100% commercially, under
same conditions as the Internet, we'll see the problem decrease for these
commercial operations.

Then also other players will connect, as governmental bodies, creating a 
parallel
Internet and mail system, leaving small scale operations and personal mail 
left
in the remaining spam soup.

>>2. While this creates a desirable service for businesses, and it
>>potentially avoids the danger of negative legislation in the personal
>>email space, does it have any attributes that directly help eliminate
>>spam in the personal email space?
>
>  The mere fact that it's "personal email", rather than a business
>facility will allow end-users to use more effective filters, even though
>they risk more false positives.

Possible, since this leaves less infrastructure impact, since people upgrade
clients once or twice every year, though a combination of Milter type of
filters for volume and client for whitelisting and local blocking is 
preferred.
And if  as accurate info in the block lists is used, false positives is 
negliable.

Haven't had a false positive since my last correction of my "Earnest" filter
in May. If hunting the right data, we can reduce false positives to a level
where it isn't a problem.

Kurt Magnusson

_________________________________________________________________
Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online 
http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg