Subject: Re: [Asrg] Grouped reply on permissions lists

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 23:01:25 -0400

At 06:27 PM 6/20/2003 -0500, [email-masked] wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >At 03:00 PM 6/20/2003 -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
> >
> >>
> >>Plain ASCII text will continue to be delivered as before.
> >>[..]

Gordon,

You have mentioned before that even if only ASCII spam is being delivered 
that will reduce the overall bandwidth consumer. HOWEVER, that will not 
reduce the total number of spam items in someone's inbox. Another words, 
while it will accomplish something for the ISPs, it will have no effect on 
the end-users - the same number of spam items would have to be deleted from 
inboxes everyday.

Yakov

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yakov Shafranovich / <[email-masked]>
SolidMatrix Research, a division of SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"One who watches the wind will never sow, and one who keeps his eyes on
the clouds will never reap" (Ecclesiastes 11:4)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:22:06 -0500

>reduce the total number of spam items in someone's inbox. 

First, people's inbox capacity is never (in my experience) limited by number of 
messages... always by number of megabytes.

Second, if spammers are unable to pull a lot of the tricks and deceptions that 
they do at present, I believe that a lot of spam that presently "works" 
economically will no longer be viable.

>Another words, while it will accomplish something for the ISPs, it will have no 
effect on the end-users - 

I *absolutely* disagree:

  1)  Their ISP-provided inboxes will not overflow so readily due to unwanted 
spam;

  2)  Usually the "narrow" pipe in terms of bandwidth is coming into the 
end-user, and reducing that volume will mean that wasted download time 
(especially for dialup customers) will be greatly reduced.

  3)  Many of the most annoying tricks and deceptions used by spammers won't be 
usable anymore... meaning that the spam that DOES arrive will be less likely to 
confuse or trap the unwary.  (Also, many of those deceptions and obfuscations 
attempt to make it harder to find the right place to complain to about the 
spam... so user complaints are more likely to be more effective)

  4)  The residual spam which still arrives will be more readily filtered by 
content filters (perhaps at the end-user's system).

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.