Subject: [Asrg] Forbes Survey of Anti-Spam methods and products

From: "Bob Wyman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 15:01:24 -0400

FYI: Forbes has a fairly detailed article surveying Anti-Spam methods
and products:

Kill Spam With Your Own Two Hands 
By Stephen Manes, 06.23.03, 12:00 AM ET 
http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2003/0623/136.html

The author proposes: "A free one, as implemented by the editor of this
magazine: Give your correspondents a password to include in the subject
line of messages. Then use your e-mail software's filters to trash any
message that both lacks the password and comes from a sender not in your
address book. It costs not a sou, and it works--if you don't mind
missing greetings from old schoolmates, alerts from online vendors and
entreaties from offspring who forget the code. "

Note: The method of having groups vote on what is and is not spam, which
he claims is used by Cloudmark SpamNet and Matador, may be an
infringement or use of US patent 6,453,327 issued to Jakob Nielsen
(otherwise famous for "usability research). 
See: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=6453327

		bob wyman

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg