Subject: [Asrg] Re: economics of spam

From: "Shannon Jacobs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 19:40:49 +0900

Yes, I did look at your (Mr. Krishnamurthy's) work, and found several
aspects worthy of consideration. My two comments at this point would be that
it doesn't seem to go far enough in the economic sense, and it didn't seem
to elicit much discussion within the ASRG. However, it is possible that I
missed a more extensive discussion of the topic, since the volume of the
ASRG discussion is so large, and my own time for participation is rather
limited.

I also admired several aspects of the TitanKey system, and that one did
receive extensive discussion in ASRG. However, little of that discussion
seemed to be either economic-based or constructive. However, they (the
TitanKey people) are definitely offering a slightly different approach, and
they have an interesting economic model for the marketing, so it is quite
possible their system will succeed, at least if success is defined in terms
of being widely adopted and being profitable for their company. (However, I
think the spammers will just see it as yet another form of yield reduction
to be offset with more millions of spam email messages.)

Balachander Krishnamurthy wrote:
> take a look at
> http://www.research.att.com/~bala/papers/shred-ietf56-talk.pdf
> or
> http://www.research.att.com/~bala/papers/shred-ietf56-talk.ps
> a scheme that uses economic disincentives to reduce spam.
>
> cheers,
> bala

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 14:26:01 -0400

At 07:40 PM 6/8/2003 +0900, Shannon Jacobs wrote:
>[..]
>seemed to be either economic-based or constructive.
>[..]

In our discussion on the CRI protocol being proposed by Eric Dean, there is 
definitely space for "e-postage" and similar economic systems. The 
challenge/response tokens can definitely be digital certificates or 
signatures, indicating payment information. I think the common 
misconception in the group is that economic system will not take off, that 
would not be true necessarily - they probably will and we will account for 
them in the CRI protocol.

Yakov

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yakov Shafranovich / <[email-masked]>
SolidMatrix Research, a division of SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"One who watches the wind will never sow, and one who keeps his eyes on
the clouds will never reap" (Ecclesiastes 11:4)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------