Subject: Re: [Asrg] Reverse DNS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:10:28 -0500

>>There are a number of us advanced/small users with home offices who presently
>run our own outgoing SMTP mail server, behind a router using NAT.  Not all
>(valid, legitimate!) outgoing SMTP servers have fixed/permanent IP addresses.

>>Likewise, since I have a "residential" type high speed connection, I have 
>*very*
>limited abilities (and that only because of my own domain names, but I don't
>have my own Net-accessible DNS server in any case) to manipulate the DNS 
>records
>associated with those domains.

>>I suspect that a fair number of other consultant-type users are in a similar
>boat to myself on points like this.  It's the needs of some of us
>'advanced/small' users which the spf folks seem willing to totally ignore.

> I have my own SMTP server as well since my ISP does not provide one. 
HOWEVER, all IP addresses assigned by my ISP have reverse DNS records. I 
believe this is not a problem AS LONG AS ISPs will provide those problems.

The problem is that most large end-user-type ISPs really don't want the support 
hassles of supporting user DNS issues (which is part of why they price those 
services SO much higher).

> RMX/SPF and similar systems on the other hand will cause a problem. 

Indeed.

> Someone earlier suggested that free DNS systems such as dyndns.org would 
provide RMX functionality for such cases.

Yes, but as I understand it they won't do much if anything for those of us who 
are still behind NAT and router, since domain names mapping to a nonroutable 
192.168.n.n address seem pretty pointless... am I wrong?  :-)

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg