Subject: Re: [Asrg] SPF: Summary of Objections

From: Scott Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 01:20:50 -0700

At 06:32 PM 6/16/03 -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:
[edited]
>I did find http://spf.pobox.com/dns.html which seems to involve odd
>notions of which characters are valid in DNS names and a reasonable
>notion of names that are not already in use.
>

(SPF was described in
 http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg05360.html
 as RMX+DMP = SPF, though it does add the rDNS idea for dealing with
 domains that don't have a DMP record.)

There has been much debate about what characters can be in DNS.
'_' is allowed by the software.
The RFCs are less clear about what is allowed.
At one point, '/' was a legal character, then it wasn't, then it was again.
If anyone can provide a definitive answer I'd be very surprised,
as far as I know there isn't a consensus.

Scott Nelson <[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg