Subject: [Asrg] MailBlocks and ASRG

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:22:45 -0400

I have been in touch with someone at MailBlocks, Inc. regarding their 
patents. First of all, MailBlocks's has submitted the following IPR 
template, which I added to the IPR document 
(http://www.solidmatrix.com/research/asrg/asrg-ipr.html):

------
The IP Holder states that its position with respect to licensing any IP 
claims disclosed above that would be necessary to implement the technology 
required by an IETF Proposed Standard, Draft Standard, or Standard (or 
other IETF document) is as follows (select one option only):

(X) Licensing Declaration to be Provided Later (implies a willingness to 
license in some form to all implementers; otherwise, "Unwilling to License 
to All Implementers" must be selected)
------

They had further informed me that they are willing to review any anti-spam 
proposal regarding their IPR claims and in general want to help the 
IETF/IRTF and the ASRG. They further informed me that as of now, they feel 
that their IP covers any C/R system that interacts between a computer and a 
human being. Something like the CRI protocol that Eric Dean is working on, 
where two computers are interacting with each other,  they are not sure 
about, but will study it and issue an opinion. Obviously, unless the whole 
Internet suddenly deploys the CRI protocol, there will be interaction with 
humans, so this might be irrelevant.

Yakov

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yakov Shafranovich / <[email-masked]>
SolidMatrix Research, a division of SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"One who watches the wind will never sow, and one who keeps his eyes on
the clouds will never reap" (Ecclesiastes 11:4)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg