Subject: [Asrg] Whitelist conforming definition

From: "Eric D. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 13:06:15 -0400

Group;

After perusing the current submissions to the information call I made "please 
define 'whitelist' as it is being used..."  The following is the conforming 
definition to date.  Please note this is a definition that has been abstracted 
from all of the submissions, it is not meant to represent the precise 
definition but a consensus gathered from all of the submissions, to wit:

Whitelist -

 Used in the context of e-mail processing for storage or forwarding
 to a recipient, a whitelist is a list of attributes which is used
 to match against incoming email.  Mail that matches a specified
 attribute or attributes is passed to the recipient without further
 processing.

Whitelisting -

 The addition of specified attributes to a 'whitelist' used to identify
 messages from senders that are 'whitelisted.' The attributes may be
 developed from a number of different sources of information, including
 but not limited to information in message headers [1,2], protocol
 information [3,4] or user input.  The term 'blacklisting' is sometimes
 used as a converse of the term 'whitelisting', but this use is not well
 defined.

-e
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Eric D. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 21:50:35 -0400

Oops, I forgot the references.

 [1]  Resnick, P., Ed., "Internet Message Format", RFC 2822, April
      2001.

 [2]  Crocker, D., "Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text
      Messages", RFC 822, August 1982.

 [3]  Klensin, J. "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol", RFC 2821,
      April 2001. 

 [4] Postel, J., "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol", RFC 821,
     August 1982.

-----Original Message-----
From:	Eric D. Williams [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Sunday, June 01, 2003 1:06 PM
To:	[email-masked]'
Subject:	[Asrg] Whitelist conforming definition

Group;

Whitelist -

Whitelisting -

-e