Subject: [Asrg] Weird spam

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:54:51 -0400

I received a very strange spam message, quoted below. Does anyone know what 
these kind of messages accomplish?

----snip---
Greetings,

We need a vendor who can offer immediate supply.
I'm offering $5,000 US dollars just for referring a vender which is
(Actually RELIABLE in providing the below equipment) Contact details
of vendor required, including name and phone #. If they turn out to be
reliable in supplying the below equipment I'll immediately pay you
$5,000. We prefer to work with vendor in the Boston/New York area.

1. The mind warper generation 4 Dimensional Warp Generator # 52 4350a
series wrist watch with z60 or better memory adapter. If in stock the
AMD Dimensional Warp Generator module containing the GRC79 induction
motor, two I80200 warp stabilizers, 256GB of SRAM, and two Analog
Devices isolinear modules, This unit also has a menu driven GUI
accessible on the front panel XID display. All in 1 units would be
great if reliable models are available

2. The special 23200 or Acme 5X24 series time transducing capacitor
with built in temporal displacement. Needed with complete
jumper/auxiliary system

3. A reliable crystal Ionizor with unlimited memory backup.

If your vendor turns out to be reliable, I owe you $5,000.

Email his details to me at: [email-masked]

Please do not reply directly back to this email as it will
only be bounced back to you.

investmentfypfzdwuvzu lk igqaun srxbxspw jwwfbkqz
e
kryf hljs muc
----snip---

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yakov Shafranovich / <[email-masked]>
SolidMatrix Research, a division of SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"One who watches the wind will never sow, and one who keeps his eyes on
the clouds will never reap" (Ecclesiastes 11:4)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:45:29 -0600 (MDT)

> From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>

> ...
> At 8:54 PM -0400 6/25/03, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
> >I received a very strange spam message, quoted below. Does anyone 
> >know what these kind of messages accomplish?
>
> Same as hoaxes and graffiti.  The knowledge of knowing that your 
> message is being seen by thousands of people.  That one's been around 
> for a while.  ALong with the guy looking for a time machine and a few 
> others.

Some commentators in NANAE claim that this guy is the same as the
time machine guy and that he's seriously distrubed.  See
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22unlimited+memory+backup%22+group%3A*.email

> One more reason why the definition of "spam" should not include the 
> word "commercial".

Yes, but charity and political spam is more common and so better
examples outside the political and helping professions who, like
most people, insist "Spam is that which I don't do."

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:29:30 -0400

One more reason why the definition of "spam" should not include the 
word "commercial".
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Anti-Spam Service for your POP Account
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/   Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.