Subject: [Asrg] 4d. Consent Framework - Is it the only way?

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:30:04 -0400

I want to pose a question to the group. The charter of the ASRG 
concentrates on the notion of consent for email. However, we need to 
look at whether this is the only approach to controlling spam:

"The research group will investigate the feasibility of: (1) a single 
architecture that supports this and (2) a framework that allows 
different systems to be plugged in to provide different pieces of the 
solution. "

Even if the consent framework is completed, is it really the only way to 
look at spam? Perhaps, we should as many have suggested, reformulate the 
charter of the group to be more generic - to perhaps look at other 
possibilities beside consent. As of now the charter does include this:

"ASRG will investigate the spam problem as a large-scale network 
problem. The ASRG will begin its work by developing a taxonomy of the 
problem and the proposed solutions. This taxonomy should involve casting 
the spam problem into different perspectives, such as examining the 
similarities between spam and denial-of-service; spam and intrusion 
detection/prevention; and spam and authentication, authorization, and 
accounting."

I think we would need another effort to take place parallel with the 
consent framework - an evaluation of whether it is proper to add consent 
to email.

Thoughts?

Yakov

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg