Subject: RE: 3. Requirements - Anonimity (was Re: FW: [Asrg] 0. General)

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:09:45 -0800

> When you hold ISPs responsible, you are holding them accountable for 
> their users. How far will that ago?

No, you are holding them strictly accountable for the bits they ship.

> If an ISP allows some anonymous usage with lets say a rate limiter or 
> free email, how long will it take until spammers start 
> abusing that and 
> ISPs will begin to shut down such services?

The ISP has to protect their reputation, holding the user accountable is one
way to do that. Another would be to implement a rate limiting scheme at the
end user's machine.

End user anonymity is not an intrinsic problem, it is a problem for certain
proposed solutions. I dont believe that requirements should be fitted to
solutions.

	Phill

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:46:15 -0500

> proposed solutions. I dont believe that requirements should be fitted to

I think that the requirements should state that proposal authors should 
address anonimity and privacy issues, not that they MUST support anonimity.