Subject: [Asrg] 0. General - Verisign to suspend SiteFinder wildcards service

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:09:15 -0400

According to the following press release, VeriSign is suspending SiteFinder:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031003/sff057_1.html

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:28:16 -0400

Temporarily Suspend.

"Without so much as a hearing, ICANN today formally asked us to shut down the 
Site Finder service. We will accede to the request while we explore all of our 
options," said Russell Lewis, executive vice president of VeriSign's Naming 
and Directory Services Group. "During the more than two weeks that Site Finder 
has been operational, there is no data to indicate that the core operation of 
the Domain Name System or stability of the Internet has been adversely 
affected. ICANN is using anecdotal and isolated issues to attempt to regulate 
non-registry services, but in the interests of further working with the 
technical community we will temporarily suspend Site Finder."

See the ICANN correspondence page for the ICANN - Verisign correspondence of
the past two-plus weeks.