Subject: RE: 6. Proposals - Sender Verification (was Re: [Asrg] Simple wayto verify sender, track mail abusers)

From: "Peter Kay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 06:46:07 -1000

I starting going through our logs to answer to your below but there is
so much variance for so many different reasons I can't see how some of
the results will tell you anything. I've tried to answer below as best
as I can and where I didn't think it was relevant I explained why. 

> 
> For example,
> 
> 1) What percentage (and volume) of challenges are responded?

Huge variance here based on how much spam an account gets. One of mine
gets 40spams/day and no responded challenges, yet another gets 7
spams/week and 2 responses for 28%.  

> 2) What percentage of challenges bounce?

I could see where this might give you something good/consistent as most
challenged emails are spam. 

300 challenges. 120 bounces. 0 responses.  Or about 40%

> 3) What percentage of whitelisted senders are from CR vs. 
> manual (or from outgoing email, Contacts-import....)

Huge variance. My whitelist started out with 3000 entries. This account
gets 7 spams per week so the CR-sourced whitelist is extremely small.  

Another account started with a miniscule whitelist and got most of its
entries from CR challenges and outgoing email. 

> 4) What percentage of spam still gets through..and how/why?

9600 spams sent over 8 months.  6 "spam" came through.  0.042%.  Reason:
(4) nigerian scam people actually do respond to challenges!  And (2)
emails spoofed an address that I (previously) had domain-wide approval
on.

> 5) What percentage of users (and volume) use the CR system 
> for anti-spam?  How long to acclimate?

Percentage of what users out of what?

How long to acclimate: about a week.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg