Subject: [Asrg] postings double??

From: "denny " <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:18:00 -0400

Ok folks is it just me or.....

looks like folks are CC'ing each other and posting to the list and the result Is with some posts I'm seeing 2 & 3 of the same message sent to me via different paths.

:-$ ??

--
=============================================
Denny Figuerres
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------
Twenty billion junk e-mail messages sent per day may
potentially take 20 billion seconds to delete. A human life is a
mere two billion seconds long. In effect, spammers kill ten
people each day.

--

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:29:11 -0400

At 5:18 PM -0400 10/22/03, denny  wrote:
>looks like folks are CC'ing each other and posting to the list and 
>the result Is with some posts I'm seeing 2 & 3 of the same message 
>sent to me via different paths.

That's correct (although how you get 3 I haven't a clue).  This must 
come up about once a month.  Some people prefer to receive a 
"courtesy copy", some people hate it.  Absent a protocol for your 
email program to tell my email program which category you are in, 
it's not likely to change.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/  Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.

---

From: "Denny Figuerres" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:50:39 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Kee Hinckley
> Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 6:29 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Asrg] postings double??
> 
> 

What??

Ok perhaps I am dense but let try this:

The mailing list is a common place for us to exchange our comments
right?
Then reply to the list unless you want to start a "private" talk.

Looking at the header above you email'ed me directly and CC'ed the list.

If you just send it to the list I'll get a copy from the list right??
So why email me directly??

By the way IMHO the list is not sending the messages with the right
default:

The "Reply To"  should be to "the List" then you read, hit reply enter
comments and send.
Bingo everyone gets a copy and it's on the list.

IMHO the only time to directly email is to take the message out of the
list.

At least that's how I have seen serveral other lists work in the past...
And it was *MUCH* simpler.

But hey I could be wrong about this?

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:52:50 -0400

>So why email me directly??

Because mail that comes through the list goes into my folder for the 
list, where I may read it now, or a week from now.  Mail sent to me 
goes to my direct inbox where I deal with it at a much higher 
priority.  Yes, I could set up rules to deal with this better (and in 
fact I do--mail cc'd to me is colored differently in the list), but 
that won't catch all the possible cases in which I might receive a 
private copy.  So if you respond to one of my postings without cc'ing 
me, I may not reply anytime soon.  In fact, since I occasionally just 
wipe an entire thread without reading, I may not reply at all.

>The "Reply To"  should be to "the List" then you read, hit reply enter

Lots of debate on that one too of course, although I happen to agree.

>And it was *MUCH* simpler.

I've seen this argued back and forth on virtually every list I've 
been on in the past twenty years.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/  Writings on Technology and Society

---

From: Markus Stumpf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:50:56 +0200

> Bingo everyone gets a copy and it's on the list.

There is an (unofficial) Header element called
    Mail-Followup-To:		(http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html)
which is supported by a lot of MUAs.
Try setting
    Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked]
for your posts to this list, this might reduce the amount of Cc'ed
messsges you get.

	\Maex

-- 
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299
"The security, stability and reliability of a computer system is reciprocally
 proportional to the amount of vacuity between the ears of the admin"