Subject: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - DNS-Based - RMX

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:05:41 -0500

Hi,

As mentioned before, various RMX-type proposals are being reconciled in 
a closed subgroup under the direction of Alan Dekok. This subgroup 
operates its own mailing list, and its mailing list archive is now 
coming online. It is available at:

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.asrg.rmx

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Alan DeKok" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:17:39 -0500

Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]> wrote:
> coming online.

  I'll quickly summarize the work of the group so far.

  We've been working with the proposals DRIP, DMP, RMX, and SPF, in an
attempt to reach consensus on a collaborative proposal.  We have a
first stab at an outline for a group proposal, and are working on
ironing out differences in goals and implementation for the proposals.

  The proposals differ mainly in implementation details.  They have
some overlap, and some differing design goals.  The draft outline
discusses the goals and impact of the combined proposal, without
getting into implementation details.

  We have a statement of the scope of the problem: to be able to
detect forgeries of domain names in SMTP EHLO and MAIL FROM.

  A significant amount of effort has been put into discussing the cost
and impact of implementing any RMX-style proposal.  This area has been
the main point of discussion on the list.  We want to ensure that the
issues raised on ASRG and elsewhere are addressed in the document.
This information will help not only to motivate the document, but also
to minimize the contentious discussions which have historically
surrounded RMX-style proposals.

  Once we have consensus on the overall outline and impact of the
proposed system, I will post a draft document to ASRG for wider
review.  The sub-group can then start working on implementation
details.

  Alan DeKok.