Subject: [Asrg] 7. BCP - Auto-Responders - Response from IESG on Auto-response draft

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:43:55 -0400

[Sorry guys, but I was away since Friday and I started plowing through
my email last night.]

This is regarding the draft on BCP guidelines for auto responders 
available at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moore-auto-email-response-04.txt

Below is a copy of the response from the IESG. As it stands now unless
we will provide specific objections by the end of the months, this
document will become a proposed standard.

The BCP subgroups is dealing with this document, any specific can be 
posted to the main list or directed to Brad Knowles who is coordinating 
the BCP area.

Yakov

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: re: Recommendations for Automatic Responses to Electronic Mail
- <draft-moore-auto-email-response-04.txt>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 02:43:51 -0700 (PDT)
References: <[email-masked]>

> Hello,

> I co-chair the Anti-Spam Research Group (ASRG) of the IRTF
> [www.irtf.org/asrg/]. We have a BCP area within the group which is
> working on similar issues to the ones mentioned in this draft.

I just re-read your charter, and I have to say I think it is a bit of a
stretch
to claim it covers the range of issues pertaining to correct operation of
autoresponders this draft deals with.

> I wanted
> to ask the IESG if the move to "Proposed Standard" can be delayed while
> we evaluate this draft in our group.

First, I note that this document has been under discussion for about six
months
now, mostly on the ietf-822 list. I also note that this was pointed out
on the
ASRG list about six weeks back.

I finally note that this document is currently in 4 week last call.
Surely this
provides sufficient time for interested parties, both in your group as
well as
outside, to review and comment on it.

In any case, absent some more specific concern or concerns being given I
see no
reason to delay IESG consideration of the document once the last call has
expired.

				Ned

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg