Subject: [Asrg] Fwd: Email Deliverability Summit II Update

From: Brad Knowles <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:53:55 +0200

Folks,

	Found this on the NANOG mailing list.  Is this relevant to what 
we're doing?  Do we need to review any of these documents, or should 
we get in touch with any of these people?

>From: "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:52:10 -0700
>Subject: Email Deliverability Summit II Update
>
>
>I've had so many people over the past few weeks ask me for an update
>as to how Email Deliverability Summit II went that I thought I really
>ought to at least point to some links, which is exactly what I'm
>going to do, in the interest of not taking up list bandwidth.
>
>In short, it was absolutely amazing.  Twenty CEOs or other executive
>decision-makers from ISPs, spam-filtering companies, and other email
>receivers (some of them on this list), and twenty from large email
>sending companies, in a room at a roundtable for 8 solid hours - and
>we got a *lot* accomplished.
>
>Those accomplishments include the promulgation and announcement of 5
>new industry standards for both email senders and receivers (this is
>up at http://www.isipp.com/standards.php), the presentation of EDDB -
>which is a receivers/senders contact information database (it was
>actually Damian's request which reminded me to post about this - EDDB
>allows participants to log in and get the appropriate contact
>information for the sender or receiver in question - information
>about EDDB is at http://www.isipp.com/eddb.php), and the announcement
>of a new cross-industry working group - the Email Processing Industry
>Alliance (EPIA), which will carry on with the work started at Summits
>I and II (if you'd like information about being involved as a
>receiver, contact Mark Herrick of RoadRunner at [email-masked], or
>Craig Hughes of SpamAssassin Open Source at [email-masked];
>senders should contact Ian Oxman at [email-masked]).
>
>Finally, ISIPP announced it's upcoming Spam and the Law conference
>(http://www.isipp.com/events.php).
>
>I'd also like to take this opportunity to mention that independent of
>ISIPP I am working on a new email deliverability product which allows
>senders and receivers to preauthorize and prevalidate (and even
>preschedule) the senders' legitimate bulk mailings.  We're currently
>in beta, and I'd welcome any of you to participate in the beta test
>(which of course is free, and once we get into commercial production
>we expect to offer *deep* discounts to beta testers).  Anyone who
>would like more information should contact me directly.
>
>Anne
>
>Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.
>President & CEO
>Institute for Spam and Internet Public Policy
>
-- 
Brad Knowles, <[email-masked]>

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
     -Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania.

GCS/IT d+(-) s:+(++)>: a C++(+++)$ UMBSHI++++$ P+>++ L+ !E-(---) W+++(--) N+
!w--- O- M++ V PS++(+++) PE- Y+(++) PGP>+++ t+(+++) 5++(+++) X++(+++) R+(+++)
tv+(+++) b+(++++) DI+(++++) D+(++) G+(++++) e++>++++ h--- r---(+++)* z(+++)

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:14:41 -0400

At 11:53 PM +0200 10/17/03, Brad Knowles wrote:
>Folks,
>
>	Found this on the NANOG mailing list.  Is this relevant to 
>what we're doing?  Do we need to review any of these documents, or 
>should we get in touch with any of these people?

I was at Summit II, as were at least a few other people on this list. 
If you look at ASRG's work as a way of reducing the noise of spam, 
than I'd say that Summit II was working on increasing the signal 
strength of legitimate bulk mail.

There are some good guidelines that came out of it in terms of proper 
handling of 5xx SMTP errors, proper errors to send when you are 
rejecting someone because you believe they are spamming, and proper 
use of unsubscription headers.  There is nothing earth shattering, 
but they are simple steps that should make it easier to distinguish 
the good guys from the bad guys.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/  Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:44:35 -0400

I took a look at some of the links - it sounds like a bunch of BCP 
stuff. Perhaps some of this should be incorporated. As for the contact 
database, this is a separate issue.

Yakov

Brad Knowles wrote:
> we're doing?  Do we need to review any of these documents, or should we 
> get in touch with any of these people?
>