Subject: [Asrg] 0. General - Welcome to the ASRG

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:01:42 -0400

Welcome to the mailing list of the Anti-Spam Research Group (ASRG) of
the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF). This message is sent out to the
mailing list at regular intervals in order to remind group members and
inform newcomers about various aspects of the ASRG. In addition to this
message, additional messages will be sent on a regular basis providing
updates on work items and summarizing mailing list discussions.

0. ANNOUNCEMENTS.

o There are still many open items on the research agenda not been taken
care of. WE NEED VOLUNTEERS to take care of things, if you would like to
help please post to the list or contact the chair off-list.
o All suggestions on how to improve the group are welcome, please email us!

1. INTRODUCTION TO THE ASRG.

The Anti-Spam Research Group (ASRG) focuses on the problem of unwanted
email messages, loosely referred to as spam. The purpose of the ASRG is
to UNDERSTAND the problem and collectively PROPOSE and EVALUATE
solutions to the problem.The ASRG is part of the IRTF. The IRTF focuses
on longer term research issues related to the Internet while the
parallel organization, the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF),
focuses on the shorter term issues of engineering and standards making.
The operations of the IRTF and its research groups are discussed in
detail in RFC 2014 (BCP 8).

2. INTERIM INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY POLICY
(http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_ipr_policy.htm).

"By submission of a contribution, each person actually submitting the
contribution is deemed to agree to the following terms and conditions on
his own behalf, on behalf of the organization (if any) he represents and
on behalf of the owners of any propriety rights in the contribution..
Where a submission identifies contributors in addition to the
contributor(s) who provide the actual submission, the actual
submitter(s) represent that each other named contributor was made aware
of and agreed to accept the same terms and conditions on his own behalf,
on behalf of any organization he may represent and any known owner of
any proprietary rights in the contribution.

The contributor represents that he has disclosed the existence of any
proprietary or intellectual property rights in the contribution that are
reasonably and personally known to the contributor. The contributor does
not represent that he personally knows of all potentially pertinent
proprietary and intellectual property rights owned or claimed by the
organization he represents (if any) or third parties."

3. MAILING LIST INFORMATION AND POSTING GUIDELINES
(http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_mailing_list_information.htm).

If you want to change your mailing list options, please visit the
mailing list page at (https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg). If
the volume of messages is too high for you, you can choose to receive a
daily digest of list messages instead of individual posts.

All conversation on this mailing list must be regarding one of the work
items outlined in the ASRG Research Agenda document. The subject of each
email should begin with the number of the appropriate work item. For
example, "2.a - Spam Measurement Survey Requirements" or "6 - Proposal
for hash-based traceback system". The list volume makes it difficult to
follow individual conversations and to filter the noise. This will help
eliminate both problems. This is a research group. If you have
constructive feedback, please share it in an appropriate manner. If you
just feel like saying that "spam can not be stopped" or "this group will
fail because I said so", then you should state those things elsewhere.
This mailing list is for discussion towards the goals of the group as
stated in the charter.

NOTE: The moderator or chair may at their discretion moderate posting
privileges of participants who ignore these guidelines. If they do so
they will announce the fact to the list, with an explanation.

4. ASRG RESEARCH AGENDA (http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_research_agenda.htm).

The purpose of the ASRG is to understand the problem and collectively
propose and evaluate solutions to the problem. The Research Agenda lists
different areas of research that the ASRG is pursuing.

5. ASRG WORK ITEM STATUS (http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_work_items.htm).

This lists the current work items showing owner and status. Each item
also shows the associated item number from the research agenda.

6. MAIN ASRG PLAYERS.

Paul Judge <paul.judge {at} ciphertrust.com> - ASRG Co-Chair
Yakov Shafranovich <research {at} solidmatrix.com> - ASRG Co-Chair

7. IMPORTANT LINKS.

ASRG charter - http://www.irtf.org/charters/asrg.html
Official ASRG website - http://www.irtf.org/asrg
Mailing list options - https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg
Mailing list archive -
https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/maillist.html
Search engine for the archive - http://news.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.asrg

IRTF website - http://www.irtf.org
IETF website - http://www.ietf.org
IAB website - http://www.iab.org
RFC 2014 (BCP 8) - ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2014.txt

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg