Subject: Re: FW: [Asrg] 0. General

From: [email-masked] (Justin Mason)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:03:07 -0700

Brad Knowles writes:
>At 12:45 PM -0700 2003/10/22, Justin Mason wrote:
>
>>  But IMO, something like the PGP remailers and/or hushmail are the key
>>  systems to support this form of free speech -- it should *not* be part of
>>  the core SMTP protocol.  Here's why:
>
>	I disagree.  They are an important tool in the toolbox, but alone 
>they are not sufficient to guarantee the security and privacy of that 
>connection.  Until recently, penet.fi was believed to be a secure 
>anonymous remailer -- until we found out that they'd been back-doored 
>by the government.  Who knows how many other remailers have already 
>been back-doored?

I don't think that was penet.fi.   I can't find the details of it
right now though...

But suffice to say, it did *not* sound like a secure anon remailer from
what I could tell.  Instead it sounded like a gimmicky e-commerce site
IMO.

- --j.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg