Subject: [Asrg] SBC Blocks Port 25

From: Gadi Evron <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:53:48 +0200

Another one bites the dust? This hit FD a bit back.

	Gadi.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Dave Atherton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:21:01 -0800

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Gadi Evron" <[email-masked]>
> Another one bites the dust? This hit FD a bit back.

I consider this as good news.  I recently switched my home connection from 
Comcast to RCN (which blocks port 25) and although I had to reconfigure a 
few things, I am happy that I have not yet seen any spam originating from an 
rcn.com IP.  Yes, any change will be painful to somebody but I certainly 
prefer stopping spam at the source rather than attempting to filter at the 
recipient domain.

-Dave

Article URL: http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=4640

-------

SBC Internet Services (SBCIS) is taking positive steps to help combat junk 
email and spam. In addition to network upgrades, free spam filtering and 
anti-virus software, SBC is implementing outbound SMTP port controls to 
ensure the SBC network is as reliable as possible for our Members.

SBCIS began filtering Port 25 to separate outbound SMTP mail from dynamic IP 
mail. Most SBCIS Members already use SBCIS or Yahoo! SMTP mail servers for 
outbound email and will not be impacted by this filter.

Members not using Web mail access or SBC mail servers, such as a private 
company or university mail server, will not be able to send outbound email 
until one of the following actions are taken:

  1.. Convert your outgoing mail to the SBC mail servers.
  2.. Contact your server administrator for information about alternate 
access methods allowing connectivity to the 3rd party mail server (i.e., 
VPN, Web mail or Outlook Web Access).
  3.. Request that SBC removes the SMTP port filter from your account: on 
our Abuse of Service form, enter the details of your request in the Abuse 
Description field.

---

From: Bill Cole <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:50:25 -0500

At 12:53 AM +0200 1/15/05, Gadi Evron  imposed structure on a stream 
>Another one bites the dust? This hit FD a bit back.

It seems to be more press release than reality. I still see dozens of 
attempts to send me mail from SBC dynamically assigned addresses 
every day.

-- 
Bill Cole                                  
[email-masked]

---

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jan 2005 04:46:38 -0000

>attempts to send me mail from SBC dynamically assigned addresses 

Are you sure they're dynamic?  SBC is infamous for mixing static and
dynamic address ranges with no hint in the rDNS or otherwise which is
which.

-- 
Regards,
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 330 5711
[email-masked], Mayor, http://johnlevine.com, 
Member, Provisional board, Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail

---

From: Bill Cole <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:22:37 -0500

At 4:46 AM +0000 1/15/05, John Levine  imposed structure on a stream 
>dynamic address ranges with no hint in the rDNS or otherwise which is

The 'otherwise' is not quite right. See 
http://www.scconsult.com/sbclist.shtml for my guess. The basis of 
that is telltale strings in ARIN records. Not perfect, but I'm not 
aware of any provider in the same class that makes their 
dynamic/static space differentiable to a similar consistency and 
reliability. The closest any other I am aware of is RoadRunner's 
mostly-wrong rwhois server.

-- 
Bill Cole
[email-masked]

---

From: "Dennis Dayman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:02:53 -0600

Here's the funny. I had a friend of mine who is a DSL engineer at SBC call
me about his mail server not able to accept connections from his friends on
port 25 just yesterday. I figured he would have known about this...

I just added the alternate port 587 and now his SBC dsl user friends can
connect.

-Dennis

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Bill Cole
> Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 9:50 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Asrg] SBC Blocks Port 25
> 
> At 12:53 AM +0200 1/15/05, Gadi Evron  imposed structure on a 
> stream of electrons, yielding: