Subject: [Asrg] Re: Asrg Digest, Vol 9, Issue 20

From: Jeff Silverman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:29:39 -0800

[email-masked] wrote:

>S
>
>>>>Is there anyone out there who has ever had to abandon an email
>>>>account because the amount of spam became unbearable?
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>I'm convinced the answer is "yes"; I've heard far too many reports
>>>      
>>>
>of
>  
>
>>>that for me to believe they're all false.
>>>      
>>>
>>You guys have GOT to be kidding.
>>
>>
>>    
>>
I changed my E-mail address.  Fortunately, I am a webmaster and a 
sysadmin so that was no big deal other than telling everybody who needed 
to know.  I am thinking of writing a script that will blacklist any IP 
that sends mail to that account and let my firewall deal with it at the 
IP level.  We all know what that scheme won't work, but I am so dammed 
frustrated.

I am working with spamassassin and my problem with it is that it takes 
too long and consumes too much virtual ram to process messages in a 
timely fashion.  I think the answer is a faster and bigger (more ram) 
server.  If so, then this will be a real expense due to spam.  For web 
serving, name serving, firewall, and file serving, my little server is 
perfectly adequate.  Only spam detection snows it.  As I said, dammed 
frustrating.

Jeff

-- 
Jeff Silverman
924 20th AVE E
Seattle, WA, 98112
To get my E-mail address:  
echo [email-masked] | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
or
echo [email-masked] | tr "a-z" "n-za-m"

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Laird Breyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:11:33 +1000

> perfectly adequate.  Only spam detection snows it.  As I said, dammed 

Content filtering is always more expensive that simple lookups.
That said, before you buy more hardware: 

SpamAssassin is well known to be relatively resource intensive. You
can save some of the costs by trying its daemon mode (google for
spamc/spamd), but you probably already tried that. There are also several spam
filters written in C which are orders of magnitude faster than SA on
freshmeat.

Plug: I've written a procmail bayesian filter that's pretty fast, see
      http://dbacl.sourceforge.net, or email me privately if you need
      assistance with it / find bugs.

-- 
Laird Breyer.