Subject: Re: [Asrg] Please critique my anti-spam system

From: "Tim Bedding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:55:46 -0000

Seth

> If your system prevents 500 pieces of spam from reaching _you_ at
> the cost of one more piece of spam reaching _me_ then I find it
> unacceptable.  I don't care what the ratio is; I'm not willing to
> get more spam so that you get less.

Are automatic mailing list programs unacceptable to you
as well? With those programs, you send a "help" message
and get back a response.

Regards
Tim

Crusade - War Zone
Max Eilerson: It's also possible that the wrong
  people could hear you.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Peter J. Holzer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:41:16 +0100

> as well? With those programs, you send a "help" message

This is indeed sometimes a problem. Some time ago some worm (I don't
remember which one) caused quite a lot of such messages to be sent to
innocent users. Frankly, I am surprised that this doesn't happen more
often, but I don't see a realistic way of securing mailing-list software
against that kind of abuse.

The problem is not as bad with mailing-lists as it would be with a
widely deployed C/R system because there are several orders of magnitude
less mailing-lists than users. So the few mailing-list managers which do
respond to a spam or worm are usually lost in the noise (OTOH, I get a
lot of out-of-office mails which are obviously responses to some worm).

	hp

-- 
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Je höher der Norden, desto weniger wird
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | überhaupt gesprochen, also auch kein Dialekt.
| |   | [email-masked]         | Hallig Gröde ist fast gänzlich dialektfrei.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |   -- Hannes Petersen in desd
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Seth Breidbart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:24:59 -0500 (EST)

> as well? With those programs, you send a "help" message

If I start getting spam from them, then yes.

Seth