Subject: Re: [Asrg] SBC Blocks Port 25

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:39:11 -0500

Why do I have the urge to sing "99 Bottles Of Beer"?

---
Martin Hannigan
[email-masked]
Verisign, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri Jan 14 16:21:01 2005
Subject: Re: [Asrg] SBC Blocks Port 25

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Gadi Evron" <[email-masked]>
> Another one bites the dust? This hit FD a bit back.
>
> Gadi.

I consider this as good news.  I recently switched my home connection from 
Comcast to RCN (which blocks port 25) and although I had to reconfigure a 
few things, I am happy that I have not yet seen any spam originating from an

rcn.com IP.  Yes, any change will be painful to somebody but I certainly 
prefer stopping spam at the source rather than attempting to filter at the 
recipient domain.

-Dave

Article URL: http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=4640

-------

SBC Internet Services (SBCIS) is taking positive steps to help combat junk 
email and spam. In addition to network upgrades, free spam filtering and 
anti-virus software, SBC is implementing outbound SMTP port controls to 
ensure the SBC network is as reliable as possible for our Members.

SBCIS began filtering Port 25 to separate outbound SMTP mail from dynamic IP

mail. Most SBCIS Members already use SBCIS or Yahoo! SMTP mail servers for 
outbound email and will not be impacted by this filter.

Members not using Web mail access or SBC mail servers, such as a private 
company or university mail server, will not be able to send outbound email 
until one of the following actions are taken:

  1.. Convert your outgoing mail to the SBC mail servers.
  2.. Contact your server administrator for information about alternate 
access methods allowing connectivity to the 3rd party mail server (i.e., 
VPN, Web mail or Outlook Web Access).
  3.. Request that SBC removes the SMTP port filter from your account: on 
our Abuse of Service form, enter the details of your request in the Abuse 
Description field.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg