Subject: [Asrg] SPF and ebay

From: Reinhold Jordan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:15:27 +0100

Hi there,

which way should this handle? If an ebay-customer send a mail via
ebay to another ebay-customer, this mail is send with sender-address
of the sender, but from an ebay-IP. So, f.e. the sender has a hotmail-
accout or another domain supporting SPF and the receiver check this,
the mail is rejected. Right?
I have try to report this to ebay, but there is no way to submit this
type of error :|

Regards, Reinhold

-- 
                         Reinhold Jordan
WWW: http://reinhold.bachrain.de         Mail: [email-masked]
qmail-spam-protection with intelligent-greylisting, reverse-smtp...
qmail.spamfilter.050129.030.tar.bz2 actual rejects 99.87% of spam!!

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 12:54:14 -0500 (EST)

> If an ebay-customer send a mail via ebay to another ebay-customer,
> this mail is send with sender-address of the sender, but from an
> ebay-IP.  So, f.e. the sender has a hotmail-accout or another domain
> supporting SPF and the receiver check this, the mail is rejected.
> Right?

Sounds right to me.

And this is just the sort of thing that SPF opponents have been
pointing out as a serious problem with SPF.  If ebay decides they want
to "fix" this, they need to either rewrite the relevant addresses a la
the rewriting scheme intended for forwarders (SRS, I think it's called)
or just bash an ebay address into the relevant field.

Or, they can shrug and say "yeah, if you insist on using SPF you'll end
up losing mail like that".

> I have try to report this to ebay, but there is no way to submit this

Well, depending on their philosophical stance on the matter they may
not consider it their error and thus see no reason to support reporting
it to them.

Or, of course, they could just be lazy and/or incompetent and/or too
big to act at faster than glacial speeds.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       [email-masked]
/ \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

---

From: Reinhold Jordan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:20:48 +0100

Hi,

> If ebay decides they want

I think, ebay generate and formate this mail. So they are the envelope-
sender and not only a relay. So the error is clear on ebays site.

Regards, Reinhold