Subject: [Asrg] E-Mailer ID

From: Barry Shein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:26:31 -0500 (EST)

Just moments ago there was a SPECIAL REPORT on the local Boston CBS-4
News on a NEW SYSTEM which will ELIMINATE SPAM. It's called E-Mailer
ID.

Most of the report was filled with a sermon about how annoying and
worse spam can be with sound bites from denizens of the local coffee
shop (whatever) assenting. Phishing, this woman lost ONE THOUSAND
DOLLARS to a phishing scam, etc, montage of computer screens showing
e-mail from/subject listings, viagra ads, authentic replica rolex
watches, etc.

Switch to some guy (didn't get his name) at the Yankee Group (this
must be a clue, is it Yankee Group's technology?) who explains it will
involve a scoring system, switch to diagram, pulsating arrow pointing
to MAIL SERVER, which will BLOCK most SPAM, and USERS DON'T HAVE TO DO
ANYTHING!

Switch to anchor to tell us that the system won't be fully deployed
for a year to 18 months...now back to that house fire in
N. Brookfield...

Does anyone know what they were talking about? From the name and
initial description I assumed it was some kind of PGP signing or
white-listing scheme. Then it sounded like spamassassin's scoring
approach. Then it sounded like a house fire in N. Brookfield.

Just curious, it was in their teasers all evening and the opening as
if they'd found a cure for cancer.

-- 
        -Barry Shein

The World              | [email-masked]           | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide
Software Tool & Die    | Public Access Internet     | SINCE 1989     *oo*

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Martin Hannigan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:50:24 -0500

It's hard to believe that the media doesn't think that quoting someone
who lost a grand to a phishing scam these days isn't like quoting
Rain Man, I mean, it's been 16 years now.  Do we have to hold everyones
hand forever?

-M<

---

From: Bart Schaefer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 05:46:19 +0000

On Dec 12, 11:26pm, Barry Shein wrote:
}
} Just moments ago there was a SPECIAL REPORT on the local Boston CBS-4
} News on a NEW SYSTEM which will ELIMINATE SPAM. It's called E-Mailer
} ID.
} 
} Switch to some guy (didn't get his name) at the Yankee Group (this
} must be a clue, is it Yankee Group's technology?) who explains it will
} involve a scoring system

The Yankee Group doesn't create technology, they just do trend analysis
of it, like Forrester or Jupiter.

I strongly suspect this is just another rephrasing of the terminology
of DKIM/SPF/SenderID for consumption by the mass media.

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:19:52 +0100

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> I strongly suspect this is just another rephrasing of the
> terminology of DKIM/SPF/SenderID for consumption by the mass
> media.

| Switch to anchor to tell us that the system won't be fully
| deployed for a year to 18 months...

...maybe somebody read the proposed DKIM charter.  <shrug />

With SPF you could already test that it's no FUSSP for about
20 months, I'm a bit late testing it only since May 2004.  If
you got MAIL FROM me that's spam then something on your side
does not work as expected... :-)  For SenderID RTF IESG note.

---

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Dec 2005 07:50:12 -0000

>of it, like Forrester or Jupiter.

Yup, you pay them to look at something and darned if they don't decide
that it'll be a billion dollar business within five years.

They rarely do a report without being commissioned, so this is more
likely some commercial FUSSP.  Maybe it'll burn down spammers' houses,
so long as they live in N. Brookfield.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], First Unitarian Society of Ithaca NY
Between 200 and 500 members, depending on who's counting