Subject: [Asrg] "DNS Blacklists Considered Harmful" considered for RFC publication

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 09:52:27 -0800

In reading the draft, it would appear the motivation was based upon  
the author being listed on a DUL.  This has been an unfortunate  
problem for many individuals.  Many have not read the acceptable use  
policies of their providers.  Often these policies are not prominent,  
and may appear to be in conflict with promotional information that  
corresponds to the offering of static IP addresses.

Unless they understand the relationship between the provider and the  
listing service, they may not understand the need to have the  
provider forward their request on their behalf.  While offering a  
static IP address may seem appropriate for the sending of email, many  
providers still wish to limit the use of such static addresses.  They  
see such limited static services as beneficial for obtaining personal  
access to a home system, but not for the sending of email.  These  
providers will often not forward such requests unless the account is  
for business services, in keeping with their own policies.

To retain the cooperation of the providers, which blocks a  
significant portion of the viruses, the listing service will not over- 
ride the wishes of the provider.  Often the individual has several  
options, but as with everything, it may involve a higher cost for  
those services beyond basic access.

-Doug

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 22:51:28 +0100

Douglas Otis wrote:

> offering a static IP address may seem appropriate for the
> sending of email

An MX should have a static IP, for sending a dynamic IP is
good enough - as long as you find somebody still accepting
mails from a dynamic IP.

< as with everything, it may involve a higher cost for those
> services beyond basic access.

Yes.  Where I live it goes in the opposite direction, pure
Internet access providers are cheaper than providers with
mail, let alone news, Web space, or even a domain.

If you have the time for this pure access providers plus
a mail service provider elsewhere can be cheaper than a
traditional "combined" provider.

Unfortunately the abuse desks of pure access providers are
often a joke, to put it mildly.
                                 Bye, Frank