Subject: Re: [Asrg] DNSBL draft posted

From: Aseem Jakhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 17:54:34 +0530

Sorry For such a late reply...

But wouldn't it be better to have a DNS entry in the DNSBL server
which will tell what type of list it supports i.e IP based or domain
based.

  So, a test query for say 1.0.0.127.bad.example.com would return a TXT
record specifying the type of list. The syntax of the TXT record can be
defined for this entry.

Cheers,
@
 
On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 02:55, John R Levine wrote:
> After dealing with a bunch of editorial nits, draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl-02.txt
> has been posted as an Internet Draft.
> 
> Now I'm going to see about nudging it through the to-be-defined IRTF RFC
> process.
> 
> Regards,
> John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
> Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
> "I dropped the toothpaste", said Tom, crestfallenly.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Asrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Dec 2005 11:36:56 -0500

> which will tell what type of list it supports i.e IP based or domain

As I think I've said about ten times already, the goal of this draft is to
document the way that DNSxLs actually work now.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.

---

From: wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:27:50 -0600

> which will tell what type of list it supports i.e IP based or domain

Generally, you need to know a heck of a lot more about a given DNSBL
before you use it than just whether it is a DNSBL or a RHSBL.  I can't
imagine using a DNSBL without someone I really trust really
investigating it.

Maybe for this reason, I can't think of any DNSBL deploying such an
indicator.  And, since such indicators aren't being deployed, and
since this I-D appears to be intended as a BCP, I'm not
sure that it would be it would be appropriate try and invent such a
indicator. 

-wayne

---

From: "william(at)elan.net" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 08:41:31 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, wayne wrote:

> since this I-D appears to be intended as a BCP

Is this I-D really going for BCP? I thought it would be informational.

-- 
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
[email-masked]

---

From: Matt Sergeant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:24:16 -0500

> document the way that DNSxLs actually work now.

Plus if you don't know how the DNSBL works then why on earth are you 
querying it?

Matt.

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email 
______________________________________________________________________