Subject: [Asrg] CFP: SIMPLEX 2009 - Simplifying Complex Networks

From: Xiaoming Fu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 22:50:48 +0200

Call For Papers Simplex 2009

1st Annual Workshop on Simplifying Complex Network for Practitioners

http://www.simplexconf.net
July 1, 2009, Venice, Italy

Network Science, sometimes also called "complex networks science", has
recently attracted much attention from the scientific community, mainly
due to the almost ubiquitous presence of complex networks in real-world
systems. Examples of complex networks are found in living organisms, in
engineering systems, as well as in social networks. Most of the
real-world systems have  the required degree of complexity to be called
"complex systems". Complex may have to do with the intricate dynamics of
the interacting components, with the non-trivial properties of the
underlying network topology, or with the sheer size of the system itself.

Despite the numerous workshops and conferences related to network
science, it is still a set of loosely interacting communities. Those
communities would benefit from better interactions. Researchers in
network science can be categorized according to the theoretical school
from which they come, e.g. statistical physics, game theory, information
theory, distributed algorithms. Each school tackles a very particular
aspect of complex systems, like statistical interactions between
components, or the computation of the equilibrium of a particular
system. The assumptions made by each school to apply their theoretical
tools makes it very difficult for practitioners to apply their results
to practical situations.

Simplex is expected to trigger the communication networks community to
propose the topics that should be tackled from the network science
perspective, and let the network community explain how to best use their
tools for practical problems of communication networks. Two types of
contributions are foreseen from prospective authors. The first type
would consist of use-cases of theoretical tools and methods to solve
practical problems. Such contributions should be as usable as possible
by practitioners in the related field. The second type of contributions
would come from practitioners that have identified a problem that may be
solved by tools from network sciences. The point of such contributions
is to make the network sciences community aware of the importance of a
high-impact problem, and to suggest means by which the problem may be
solved by the network sciences community. Both contributions should
stimulate interaction between theoreticians and practitioners, and
also have high potential impact in either field.

Topics of interest include (but are not restricted to):

- Design of wired/wireless networks
- Representing and analyzing dynamic networks
- Network robustness to failures and attacks
- Mining of large scale networks
- Forwarding/routing for opportunistic network
- Mobility/connectivity modeling
- Anti-spam and Sybil attacks

All submitted papers will be carefully evaluated based on originality,
significance, technical soundness, and clarity of expression.

All submissions must be in English. Submissions should be in PDF format
and must not exceed 6 pages. After the workshop, proceedings will be
published by Springer-Verlag.

Steering Committee
Jon Crowcroft        University of Cambridge, UK
Steve Uhlig        Deutsche Telekom Laboratories/TU Berlin, Germany
Pan Hui            Deutsche Telekom Laboratories/TU Berlin, Germany
Walter Willinger    ATT research, USA

PC Co-chairs
Steve Uhlig         T-labs/TU Berlin, Germany
Pan Hui            T-labs/TU Berlin, Germany

Web Co-chairs
Fehmi Ben Abdesslem    University of St Andrews, UK
Nishanth Sastry        University of Cambridge, UK

TPC members
Alain Barrat        University of Marseille, France
Marian Boguna        University of Barcelona, Spain
Stefan Bornholdt    University of Bremen, Germany
Paul Bourgine        Ecole Polytechnique, France
Augustin Chaintreau    Thomson research lab, France
Mark Crovella        Boston University, USA
Nathan Eagle        MIT/Santa Fe Institute, USA
Damien Fey        McGill University, Canada
Marta Gonzalez        Northeastern University, USA
Pan Hui            T-labs/TU Berlin, Germany
Almerima Jamakovic    TNO ICT, Netherlands
Hawoong Jeong        KAIST, Korea
Dimitri Krioukov    CAIDA, USA
Matthieu Latapy        UPMC/LIP6, France
Vito Latora        University of Catania, Italy
Shishir Nagaraja    UIUC, USA
Clemence Magnien    UPMC/LIP6, France
Jose Mendes        University of Aveiro, Portugal
Richard Mortier        Vipadia Ltd., UK
Raul Mondragon        University of London, UK
Andrew Moore        University of Cambridge, UK
Nadine Peyrieras    INAF-CNRS, France
Michael Rabbat        McGill University, Canada
Nishanth Sastry        University of Cambridge, UK
Georgios Smaragdakis    Deutsche Telekom Laboratories, Germany
Steve Uhlig        T-labs/TU Berlin, Germany
Walter Willinger    AT&T research, USA
Shi Zhou        University College London, UK

Deadlines
Paper submission:                 April 30, 2009
Notification of acceptance:       May 30, 2009
Registration deadline:            June 10, 2009
Workshop:                         July 1, 2009