Subject: [Asrg] anti-spam updates for ISOC from the ASRG (fwd)

From: "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Nov 2011 17:40:49 +0800

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 16:16:23 +0800
From: Joel M Snyder <[email-masked]>
Subject: anti-spam updates for ISOC from the ASRG

I am working with Sally Wentworth at ISOC on an update to ISOC's 
anti-spam web pages.  I wonder if the ASRG folks would be willing to take a 
look at what Sally sent out and offer up any comments or suggestions?

Sally's motivation is that some ITU Member States are proposing to define spam 
and include provisions related to spam in the ITR treaty at the WCIT.  In 
preparation for this, she thought it was time to update ISOC's anti-spam 
websites to highlight what the technical, policy and commercial communities are 
doing to combat spam and unwanted traffic (without the "assistance" of a 
treaty).

Here are the questions I have. I don't know whether you're comfortable with 
just passing them along (which would be fine with me) or whether you think I 
should try and connect more directly or whether you think  I should just go 
away and be quiet?

We are looking for short statements and pointers to work in the following 
areas:

- general description of the spam problem, including definitions, statistics, 
academic research in the area, and other general overview discussion.  The less 
commercial the better.

- general discussion of technical solutions to spam, such as CPE filtering, 
cloud filtering, reputation systems,   Any overview descriptions, comparisons, 
research, surveys.  Again, nothing product-comparative.  Remember, short 
statements and/or pointers to other people's work.

- pointers to product lists, if they are current and generally comprehensive.

- ISOC activities (including IETF, etc.).  A single statement and a pointer to 
an RFC, paper, document, working group, etc.

- architecture of a policy-based anti-spam solution; components of the solution 
and how they fit together.  Short statements, or pointers to discussions.

- current players (other than ISOC) in the policy-based anti-spam front.  This 
would include governmental and NGO policy groups helping to craft policy, 
industry groups, etc.  Anyone, in short, who is hoping to help write or 
influence legislation, regulation, or policy regarding spam.

- current anti-spam policies/legislation/regulation AND a statement of 
evaluation.  (e.g,, pointer to CAN-SPAM and an admission that it doesn't seem 
to have done anything)

Thanks for any help, guidance, or advice you might have!

jms

-- 
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494
[email-masked]                http://www.opus1.com/jms