Subject: [Asrg] The end of the ASRG

From: "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Mar 2013 23:07:27 -0500

I've been talking to the head of the Internet Research Task Force, and 
have reluctantly agreed that since the ASRG hasn't doing anything for 
about a year, and doesn't seem likely to do anything in the future, it's 
time to shut it down.  The IETF meets next week, and barring a surprise, 
we'll probably pull the plug then.

There's plenty of anti-spam research to do, and a fair amount being done, 
but it's not being done here.

The ASRG wiki is hosted on a machine I personally own, and I expect to 
leave it up indefinitely, in case anyone has further interest in using or 
(hint hint) updating and extending the taxonomy of anti-spam techniques.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. http://jl.ly

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 00:07:58 -0500

On 03/03, John R. Levine wrote:
> There's plenty of anti-spam research to do, and a fair amount being
> done, but it's not being done here.

Where is it being done?

-- 
"The most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning
of wisdom is: 'I do not know'." - Data, ST:TNG 2x2 Where Silence Has Lease
http://www.ChaosReigns.com

---

From: Alessandro Vesely <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 09:22:43 +0100

On Mon 04/Mar/2013 05:07:27 +0100 John R. Levine wrote:
> leave it up indefinitely, in case anyone has further interest in using
> or (hint hint) updating and extending the taxonomy of anti-spam
> techniques.

I'd hope this mailing list is going to remain up indefinitely too.

---

From: Martijn Grooten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 11:29:48 +0000

> I'd hope this mailing list is going to remain up indefinitely too.

+1

Though I can kind of see the IRTF's arguments for shutting it down. Perhaps it could be run elsewhere?

In any case, thanks to John for having run the list all these years.

Martijn.

________________________________

Virus Bulletin Ltd, The Pentagon, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, England.
Company Reg No: 2388295. VAT Reg No: GB 532 5598 33.

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Mar 2013 20:52:35 -0000

>> done, but it's not being done here.

A lot of universities.  Papers show up all over the place.

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Mar 2013 20:53:18 -0000

>I'd hope this mailing list is going to remain up indefinitely too.

I'll ask.  If not, it's easy enough for me to move it to the list manager
where I already have about 100 lists.

R's,
John