Subject: [earlywarning] global CAP community
From: Tony Rutkowski <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:54:24 -0400
List-Id: "Discussion list for Authority-to-Individuals \(Early Warning\) Emergency " <earlywarning.ietf.org>

Hi all,

Glad to see this working group get under way.  There is a large and diverse
global CAP community.

Because the "authority" is often (but not always as Art notes) government
in nature, or implemented pursuant to government requirements, the
intergovernmental - industry organizations like ITU-T have been
significantly involved.  At the domestic level, legislation like the
US WARN Act also affect these implementations.

I have attached the ITU-T X-series version of CAP 1.1.  It's a copy
of the OASIS version, plus a translation into ASN.1 (for those who
love that syntax or find it useful for compact applications).  It's also
what most governmental authorities will reference in most jurisdictions.

As the rapporteur of working group Q.4/17 in ITU-T, I'll try and
stay involved in this IETF WG and keep you apprised of things
happening there and contribute to your work.

Because CAP is flexible, extensible, and ubiquitous, it's worth
considering its application in diverse contexts.  For example, what
would others think of using CAP in conjunction with dispersing
cybersecurity forensics (think IODEF or CAPEX) or vulnerability
information?   If so, what is there some larger ontology that needs
to be developed?

cheers,
tony

-- 
Tony Rutkowski | Netmagic Associates LLC | Ashburn VA | mob: +1 703.999.8270