Subject: indeterminate defect status

From: Scott Platenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 13:17:17 -0700

In the current rfc2558, it is not clear to me what to do for the line or
path current defect status when there is a defect at the section layer (eg
LOS).  

I'm currently setting these values to zero (0) to indicate
'indeterminate', ie. the value cannot be determined because of the higher
priority defect.  The value zero is not one of the values specified in the
DESCRIPTION clause and is out of the range specified in the SYNTAX clause.

Any suggestions for handling this better?

Regards,
-splat

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 23:19:56 -0700 (PDT)

> Any suggestions for handling this better?

Yes.  Set the AIS-P defect.  Notice that if you had a section layer
regenerator it would replace its incoming signal with AIS-L, which
would in turn force AIS at all higher layers.  It's not uncommon for
SONET chip sets to do this internally.

Mike