Subject: Usage of the Line Length configuration object

From: "Antonio Centanino" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 18:10:43 +0200

Hello,
During the implementation of the rfc2495 mib for the DS1 or E1 interfaces, I
have had some doubts about the meaning and
the usage of the LineLength object.
Was it defined  to carry the information of Line Build Out length, or it has a
different meaning ?
How accurate  must be the user in setting up this information ?

A NE needs the information on the connected cables to set the appropriate line
transmitter output power.
From what I have understood, this is determined by both cable type and cable
length .
The rfc doesn't define an object to set the cable type.
Was this object defined for this usage or it is just for a general type of
information on the cable used ?

Thank to all who can help me !

Antonio Centanino
Marconi Access Network Division