Subject: Re: PaceBasicAtomID - maybe we're done

From: Ken MacLeod <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Aug 2004 11:18:30 -0500

Tim Bray <[email-masked]> writes:

> I just went back and revisited a *lot* of email and Wiki text on the
> subject of atom:id, and I think that a fairly clear rough consensus
> emerges from that.  I've published what I think it is at
> http://intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceBasicAtomID
> 
> Bearing in mind the amount of work we've already put into this, and
> the fact that debate on this subject is apt to create permathreads,
> please seriously consider, if you think you could live with this
> language, resisting the urge to launch a debate about one phrase or
> another.

Still +1 on this one.  I note the wording about it being a URI has
been added.

Given the recent misunderstanding about dereferencing, I suggest the
following:

    "It is not a goal that atom:id be usable for retrieval of
    information."

be changed to:

    "atom:id is a public identifier that can be used to reference the
    Atom resource on the public Internet, but it is not a goal that
    the atom:id be directly accessible using this URI."

Then following,

    "Given that HTTP URIs can be used for retrieval"

be changed to:

    "Given that HTTP URIs can be used directly for retrieval"

and,

    "which does not imply information-retrieval semantics"

to:

    "which does not imply direct access semantics"

  -- Ken

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 05:08:50 +0900

>     the atom:id be directly accessible using this URI."

I would be very careful with the term 'public identifier'.

Regards,   Martin.

---

From: Danny Ayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:12:06 +0200

(still lurking)

>>http://intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceBasicAtomID

+1, if I didn't say already.

But I don't believe this part :

"Significantly increases the ability of feed aggregators and other atom 
processors to detect and manage new atom entries and feeds."

Compared to what, not having IDs?

What might significantly increase that ability is the use of 
(potentially) retrievable http: URIs. Ah well.

Cheers,
Danny.

-- 

Raw
http://dannyayers.com