Subject: ASIS&T Bulletin: Emerging Content Requirements for News Products

From: Eric Scheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:22:33 +1000

This just out ... might be interesting reading for the weekend.

> Emerging Content Requirements for News Products
> by Howard Williams
> http://www.asis.org/Bulletin/Aug-04/williams.html

> The current trend toward media convergence has placed new demands on
> traditional print news providers. Having adapted to the new media environment
> in several ways, not the least of them being through expansion into the online
> arena, these same news providers are also under increased economic pressure to
> identify new sources of revenue. This problem is intensified by the loss of
> readership that has impacted their traditional print products. Risks inherent
> in the new media environment, however, also carry with them opportunities for
> generating new and different types of news products. These products reflect
> many of the current trends in online content production, presentation and
> delivery, including, for example, the use of multiple delivery channels,
> content aggregation and syndication services, personalization based on reader
> profiles, advanced search-and-retrieval capabilities and new design approaches
> for Web-based presentation. We can expect to see these capabilities extended
> and leveraged by news and other content providers as they create increasingly
> differentiated products, appealing to consumers with a diversity of needs and
> interests. At the same time, the environments in which these products are
> created will likely be based on new content production models, characterized
> by new value chains and the increased exploitation of value through
> multipurposing of content.

and it goes on for quite a bit more.

e.