Subject: extensibility: request for ideas

From: Henry Story <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 19:50:45 +0200

"if atom can't do X, then i'm outta here"
Anonymous

Why not find out how Atom can do everything?
What types of extensions to Atom would people like?
What crazy things do people want to do?
Why not make a big list of these?

Then we can look at them one by one, or together, and see how the 
current
format stacks up against an RDF format like the Atom-OWL format I 
recently presented [1].

I will be quite happy to try to mock up different example feeds, and 
perhaps others can participate too. The source code for the examples 
are available online, and writing an extension is not that difficult. 
This will help everyone get a little familiar with RDF, and get a 
better feel of what may or may not be needed.

My bet is that this will allow us to do 2 things:
	1) satisfy the huge urge to add more and more things to Atom
	2) allow the spec to get out on time, because we won't have to deal 
with
		each of these issues

Henry Story

PS. I know we have allready mentioned a few, but I want this request to 
only
be a question. I'll post some answers myself in return.

[1] http://bblfish.net/work/atom-owl/2004-08-12/blogexample.html

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:21:35 -0700

This would be a great project. If you could keep a separate web site 
with the proposals, mocked-up feeds, and so on, and report 
occasionally on the changes, it would most likely indeed help us stay 
on track.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium