Subject: PaceDateSubjective posted

From: Antone Roundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:13:53 -0600

Don't worry, the proposed name for the element is not "atom:subjective".

http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceDateSubjective

Abstract

Define an explicitly subjective Date Construct.

Rationale

     * For some purposes, it is desirable to be able to specify a date 
connected to the content of an entry, rather than to an event in the 
process of publishing that content.
     * Some existing systems cannot provide an objective date.
     * There are objections to duplicating dates from dcterms in the 
Atom core. dcterms does not have anything that matches this element.

Proposal

Replace sections 5.6, 5.7 and 5.8 with the following:
5.6 "atom:date" Element

The "atom:d" element is a Date Construct indicating a date and time 
which the publisher wishes to associate with the contents of the entry. 
It need not be related to events in the publishing process. For 
example, atom:d might be used to express the date which a journal entry 
describes, although that entry might have been written at a later date, 
or it may be used similarly to automobile model years or magazine 
edition months, both of which tend to be dated after they actually 
become available.

atom:entry elements MAY contain an atom:date element but MUST NOT 
contain more than one. The content of this element MUST conform to the 
Date and Time format defined in [WWW]RFC 3339.

---

From: Lance Lavandowska <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:23:45 -0500

> Date and Time format defined in [WWW]RFC 3339.

What is the rationale for "MUST NOT contain more than one?"  Given the 
reasons for this element perhaps there would be a need for more than one 
subjective date.  Using the car model, there may be one date to describe 
the model (a 2005 Ford Mustang) and another to indicate when the car was 
made available for sale (September 2004).

Lance

---

From: Antone Roundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:38:39 -0600

On Thursday, August 19, 2004, at 09:23  PM, Lance Lavandowska wrote:
>> contain more than one. The content of this element MUST conform to 
>> the Date and Time format defined in [WWW]RFC 3339.
>
> reasons for this element perhaps there would be a need for more than 
> one subjective date.  Using the car model, there may be one date to 
> describe the model (a 2005 Ford Mustang) and another to indicate when 
> the car was made available for sale (September 2004).
>
In the car example, dcterms:available would be more appropriate to when 
it was available for sale--certainly that is not a subjective date.  I 
suppose there probably are cases were one might want to attach multiple 
subjective dates to an entry, but I suspect that they are rare.  
Limiting it to one is partly just to stick with how just about 
everything else has always been done in syndication feeds, and partly 
to avoid requiring everyone to deal with complexity that few people 
will need.