Subject: Semi-off-topic question?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:37:28 -0500

Can someone tell me where to look to find out why everything has "Pace" 
appended to the front of it (PaceDateModified, PaceUpdatedDefinition, 
etcetera)? As a newcomer to the list, I haven't been able to relate the 
word to Atom (yet).

Tim Hare
Interested Bystander, Non-Inc.

---

From: Danny Ayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:55:55 +0100

> etcetera)? As a newcomer to the list, I haven't been able to relate the

It's just a convention for proposals, initiated by Sam. He might care
to comment further, but I think I can safely say they (should) have
two significant characteristics: each covers a single issue (often
corresponding to a single XML element) ; each includes camera-ready
text for inclusion in the specs.

I forget Sam's original explanation for the word (collective
unconscious?) but I think a suitable /a posteriori/ derivation would
be from the Latin "pace tua" - with your consent.

Following focussed discussion on list initiated by the chair (see
[1]), the proposals will eventually either "vade in pace" - go in
peace, or  "requiescat in pace" - RIP.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/AtomPubIssuesList

-- 

http://dannyayers.com