Subject: Re: PaceUpdatedDefinition

From: Antone Roundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:34:42 -0700

On Saturday, October 30, 2004, at 10:13  AM, Robert Sayre wrote:
>> But actually, I'm OK with the text in the draft as it is. -Tim
>
> I'm OK with my interpretation of the text in the current draft, but 
> not with the interpretation of others. A spelling correction may not 
> big deal in long pieces like you write, but I tend to write about 
> 10-20 words per post. A misspelled word can make something I write 
> completely unparsable.
>
The point of atom:updated is to signal publisher intent.  That intent 
will differ from publisher to publisher, and even from feed to feed 
from the same publisher.  "For example, such changes might not include 
minor adjustments like spelling and grammatical corrections."  ...but 
it's up to the publisher to make that determination.  In some cases, 
spelling fixes can be extremely significant.  Examples:

* Trivial spelling fix (even though the entry is short):
Original: I carved a pumkin on Halloween.
Fixed: I carved a pumpkin on Halloween.

* Critical spelling fix:
Original: I work at a restaurant. I eat people.
Fixed: I work at a restaurant. I seat people.

* Critical spelling fix:
Original: Nt bane us Abtibe
Fixed: My name is Antone
(In the original, which was published very hastily, the publisher's 
right hand was one key too far left on the keyboard).

Of course, some publishers may feel the the first change is significant 
and may want to mark it with a change to atom:updated.  That's their 
prerogative, but it's not what we (myself and anyone who agrees with 
me, which I assume(?) is most of us) intended.  The sentence mentioning 
spelling corrections is there to communicate that intention.

---

From: Robert Sayre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 11:43:47 -0500

Antone Roundy wrote:
> will differ from publisher to publisher, and even from feed to feed from 
> the same publisher.  "For example, such changes might not include minor 
> adjustments like spelling and grammatical corrections."  ...but it's up 
> to the publisher to make that determination. 

> The sentence mentioning 

This WG was misinterpreting that sentence. Not a good sign. Do you have 
a problem with the wording of the Pace? It got a +1 from Eric, Danny, 
Graham and Roger.

Robert Sayre

---

From: Danny Ayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 18:41:43 +0100

> a problem with the wording of the Pace? It got a +1 from Eric, Danny,

To be honest I'm a little confused as to where we stand right now. Not
easy to see what's going on when more than one Pace is impacted by
these hundreds of posts...

-- 

http://dannyayers.com

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 19:36:13 +0900

At 01:34 04/11/03, Antone Roundy wrote:
 >Examples:
 >(In the original, which was published very hastily, the publisher's right 
hand was one key too far left on the keyboard).

Sometimes (but probably not always), a good rule of thumb may be whether
the change would lead to a change in a translation of the entry.

Regards,    Martin.