Subject: PaceFieldingLinks

From: Antone Roundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:12:07 -0700

I noticed this Pace doesn't mention canonicalization, and from what I 
can tell, RFC2396bis section 3 leaves room for variety in how a URI may 
be formed.  Shall we add language similar to that found in section 3.6 
(identity constructs), specifically 3.5.1 (recommended normalization 
strategry) and 3.6.2 (character-by-character comparison)?  We could 
also simply refer to those sections and say "follow the same rules".

---

From: Sam Ruby <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:31:41 -0500

Antone Roundy wrote:
> strategry) and 3.6.2 (character-by-character comparison)?  We could also 
> simply refer to those sections and say "follow the same rules".

I don't see the need.  Links and identity are different:

Comparison is a fundamental aspect of identity.

Fetching is a fundamental aspect of links.

- Sam Ruby

---

From: Antone Roundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:52:26 -0700

On Monday, November 15, 2004, at 11:31  AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> can tell, RFC2396bis section 3 leaves room for variety in how a URI 
>> may be formed.  Shall we add language similar to that found in 
>> section 3.6 (identity constructs), specifically 3.5.1 (recommended 
>> normalization strategry) and 3.6.2 (character-by-character 
>> comparison)?  We could also simply refer to those sections and say 
>> "follow the same rules".
>

Okay, I wasn't clear--I was referring to the URIs that are used as @rel 
values for things not in the registry.

---

From: Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:21:33 +0000

> Fetching is a fundamental aspect of links.

I think Antone was referring to the URI used in the rel value - that is 
an identifier, and some discussion of comparison etc is required.

Graham

---

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:27:29 +0100

> simply refer to those sections and say "follow the same rules".

I think we should try to define atom:link/@rel as a type of «Identity  
Construct». That saves a lot of language, at least.

-- 
Asbjørn Ulsberg     -=|=-    http://virtuelvis.com/quark/
«He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»

---

From: Eric Scheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:54:08 +1100

On 16/11/04 4:12 AM, "Antone Roundy" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I noticed this Pace doesn't mention canonicalization

it also doesn't mention how the @rel values are to be compared. I suggest
they should be treated as strings (that look like URIs) to forestall any
munging of the URIs to different forms.

e.