Subject: PaceCategoryRevised details

From: Danny Ayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:07:18 +0100

There have been some statements of preference in the
PaceCategoryRevised thread already, but to try and make life a little
easier for the editors -

The current proposal has this syntax (uri, string, string):

<category scheme="http://dmoz.org" term="/Arts/Animation/" label="Animation" />

There have been variations suggested, all of which have merit:

Element name:
0. <category> (current)
1. <subject> 
2. <topic>

Element content:
0. none (current)
1. label
2. term

I think the current choice of optional/mandatory makes most sense. It
allows simple, minimal versions of the element to appear, with the
user agent probably defaulting the label value to the term value etc.
While still allowing more complex forms. But just in case:

term mandatory:
0. false 
1. true (current)

scheme mandatory:
0. false (current)
1. true

label mandatory:
0. false (current)
1. true

-- 

http://dannyayers.com

---

From: Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 14:09:25 +0000

On 13 Nov 2004, at 11:07 am, Danny Ayers wrote:
> with the user agent probably defaulting the label value to the term 
> value

> 1. true

Maybe I'm biased because of the kind of product I work on, but I'd 
think the most import part is the label to show the user, and being 
able to relate back to a vocabulary is a secondary concern. I wouldn't 
want to default to showing term, since it may well be a number or a 
URI.

Graham

---

From: Danny Ayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:35:02 +0100

> want to default to showing term, since it may well be a number or a

Yep, sure - forget "probably defaulting", that would be
implementation-specific.
But do you think the optional/mandatory setup needs rearranging? The
reason for giving term super-extra-powers was that it should, in
principle at least, be possible to get hold of a useful label given
the (scheme+)term, but not necessarily the other way around.

What does your product suggest?

Cheers,
Danny.

-- 

http://dannyayers.com

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 09:46:38 -0800

> want to default to showing term, since it may well be a number or a 

+1

  -Tim

---

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:53:19 +0100

> Yep, sure - forget "probably defaulting", that would be

Indeed. Show the category as a floating box going ping-pong on the monitor  
in the colors of the rainbow -- we shouldn't care. ;-)

> But do you think the optional/mandatory setup needs rearranging?

I don't. I think it makes sense to have the machine-readable stuff  
mandatory. Humans can after all adjust to missing metadata. Computers  
can't.

> The reason for giving term super-extra-powers was that it should, in

Absolutely.

-- 
Asbjørn Ulsberg         -=|=-        [email-masked]
«He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»