Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Atom Syndication Format' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:14:44 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The Atom Syndication Format '
   <draft-ietf-atompub-format-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Atom Publishing Format and Protocol 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Scott Hollenbeck and Ted Hardie.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-atompub-format-11.txt

Technical Summary:

This document describes the Atom format for syndication. It is 
XML-based and is considered to be the successor to the earlier RSS 
formats. Its primary use is for web-based content, but is expected to 
be used for non-web content as well, such as personal news feeds.

Working Group Summary:

Some members of the working group remain unenthusiastic about some
sections of the document, but the chairs strongly believe that there
is rough (or better) consensus in support of the document as a whole.
For some of the parts with the most contention, there cannot be more
than very rough consensus due to basic differences in the way people
would design parts of the format, particularly given that we have many
models in existence with the different flavors of RSS. For some parts
of the document, there is contention about whether or not a
particular item should or should not be in the Atom core versus being
an extension. For some parts, there is contention whether there
should be MUST/SHOULD/MAY leeway for content creators in the presence
or absence of an element, or the semantic content of an element; the
group really pushed RFC 2119 around during the past few months.
 
Protocol Quality
 
Scott Hollenbeck and the XML Directorate have reviewed the specification
for the IESG.  Test implementations have confirmed basic protocol
soundness.

---

From: "Bob Wyman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:35:41 -0400

This is excellent news! Finally, we have an openly and formally defined
standard for syndication. Wonderful!

	bob wyman

---

From: Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:01:24 +0100

Rar!

---

From: Karl Dubost <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 07:43:08 -0400

>    <draft-ietf-atompub-format-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

Congratulations for the good work.

-- 
Karl Dubost - http://www.w3.org/People/karl/
W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***