Subject: Feed diff

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:17:44 -0500

Hello all.

I've just come across a use case that essentially calls for a feed diff
and I wonder if anyone has done anything like this before.  Let me be a
bit more specific.  Assume we have a feed generator that doesn't include
accurate atom:updated values.  Perhaps the underlying system doesn't
have that data or maybe it's not the best feed generator.  But a client
really wants to be able to recognize only feed entries that have changed
from one version of the feed to the next.  Anything out there that does
this?

Thanks,

Cornelia

Cornelia Davis

Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, Office of the CTO
[email-masked]
p: 805.560.9039
m: 805.452.8941
f: 805.880.0390

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:39:13 +0100

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:17:44PM -0500,
 [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote 

> I've just come across a use case that essentially calls for a feed diff

Possible starting points:

RCF 5261
http://www.logilab.org/859

---

From: Felix Sasaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:11:02 +0900

> http://www.logilab.org/859
and
http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-update-10/
if you work in an environment that allows / needs XQuery.

Felix

---

From: "Thomas Broyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:34:58 +0100

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 3:17 AM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I've just come across a use case that essentially calls for a feed diff and
> I wonder if anyone has done anything like this before.  Let me be a bit more
> specific.  Assume we have a feed generator that doesn't include accurate
> atom:updated values.  Perhaps the underlying system doesn't have that data
> or maybe it's not the best feed generator.  But a client really wants to be
> able to recognize only feed entries that have changed from one version of
> the feed to the next.

Just to remind you that out-of-line content might "trigger" an
atom:updated change without the XML of the entry otherwise changing!
This might be true for extensions too.

And keep in mind that atom:updated is changed at the publisher's
discretion: the atom:updated might be the kept same while the entry is
changing, but not in way that the publisher considers "significant".

-- 
Thomas Broyer