Subject: Geotagging Atom feeds?

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 11:15:04 -0800

Is there a best practice for this?  I.e., where entries in a feed are  
tagged somehow with a geographic location. -Tim

---

From: Sylvain Hellegouarch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 20:25:37 +0100

Hi Tim,

> tagged somehow with a geographic location. -Tim

I tend to put a point using the georss namespace. It seems to be rather 
widespread.

http://georss.org/

- Sylvain

---

From: Sean Gillies <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 16:02:18 -0700

> I tend to put a point using the georss namespace. It seems to be rather 

I'm curious which one of the simple or GML forms of GeoRSS will appeal 
more to the Atom community. To me, the latter often feels too verbose, 
akin to expressing dates with a hierarchy of year, month, day elements. 
The former omits the georss:where element, which dovetails with Atom's 
time elements. FWIW, I've made a patch to feedparser.py that parses either:

http://code.google.com/p/feedparser/issues/detail?id=62

Sean

---

From: "James Holderness" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 00:44:06 -0000

> tagged somehow with a geographic location. -Tim

FWIW, flickr uses both a simple georss[1] point element as well as the W3C 
basic geo[2] lat and long elements (not enclosed in a Point).

Regards
James

[1] http://georss.org/
[2] http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/

---

From: "Ian Mayo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 08:43:28 +0000

Hi,
there's also the Dublin Core point element [1].  I believe DC offers a
route to a wide range of entry meta-data.

Regards,
Ian

[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-point/

---

From: "DeWitt Clinton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 02:14:15 -0800

When Andrew Turner (GeoCommons, Mapufacture) drafted the Geo extension for
OpenSearch (
http://www.opensearch.org/Specifications/OpenSearch/Extensions/Geo/1.0/Draft_1),
he used GeoRSS Simple elements in Atom based results and for the search
query parameters.

If you're just tagging lat/long then GeoRSS Simple seems like the easiest
way to get there while still leaving open a little bit of headroom for more
sophisticated use cases.  See http://georss.org/simple.

-DeWitt

---

From: "Sylvain Hellegouarch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 15:40:15 +0100 (CET)

> [2] http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/

It seems last.fm is also using the latter though in a broken way (they use
point rather than Point):

http://www.lastfm.fr/api/show?service=292

Hard to tell since they don't provide any namespace.

- Sylvain
-- 
Sylvain Hellegouarch
http://www.defuze.org

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:30:25 -0800

Also FWIW, Abdera includes support for georss extensions.

- James

James Holderness wrote:
> FWIW, flickr uses both a simple georss[1] point element as well as the 
> W3C basic geo[2] lat and long elements (not enclosed in a Point).
>
> Regards
> James
>
> [1] http://georss.org/