Subject: Link relation registry request for "describedby"

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 11:29:45 -0800

Since this link relation is based on the POWDER stuff, it is pretty
well-baked.  Any input on approving this link relation registry request?

Thanks,
Lisa

----

From:     Phil Archer <[email-masked]>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.3k
This is a request to make a new entry in the Atom Link Relations
registry [1].

Attribute Value: describedby

Description: The relationship A 'describedby' B asserts that resource B
provides a description of resource A. There are no constraints on the
format or representation of either A or B, neither are there any further
constraints on either resource.

Expected display characteristics: None

Security considerations:
Descriptions of resources may be socially sensitive, may require
processing to be understood and may or may not not be accurate.
Consumers of descriptive resources should be aware of the source and
chain of custody of the data. Security considerations for URIs (Section
7 of RFC 3986) and IRIs (Section 8 of RFC 3987 ) apply to the extent
that describing resources may affect consumers' decisions about how or
whether to retrieve those resources.

Documentation:
Future stable URI: http://www.w3.org/TR/powder-dr/#assoc-linking

Temporary URI at the time of submission:
http://www.w3.org/2007/powder/Group/powder-dr/20090204-diff.html#assoc-linki
ng
(requires W3C Member access).

An unrestricted version of the same document is available at
http://philarcher.org/powder/dr/20090204-diff.html#assoc-linking

[1] http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 20:46:53 +0100

Lisa Dusseault wrote:
> ...

I'm (still) puzzled by the fact that the specification tries to register 
a short name for use in HTML link/@rel and in Atom relations, but then 
goes on defining a relation URI for use in RDF contexts -- 
<http://www.w3.org/TR/powder-dr/#semlink>:

"4.1.3 Semantic Linkage Using the describedby Property

We define the RDF property wdrs:describedby with a domain of 
rdf:resource and a range of wdrs:Document. This is the class of POWDER 
documents and is a sub class of owl:Ontology.

In formats that support RDF properties directly it is appropriate to 
link a resource to a POWDER document that describes it through the 
wdrs:describedby predicate rather than the describedby relationship 
type. For example, a document might be part of a collection about a 
particular topic described in a DR. Such a document might be annotated 
using RDFa as shown in example 4-2 below.

Example 4-2: RDFa snippet using wdrs:describedby [HTML]

1  <html
2    xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" version="XHTML+RDFa 1.0"
3    xmlns:wdrs="http://www.w3.org/2007/05/powder-s#">
4    <head>
5      <title>The English Civil War</title>
6      <link rel="wdrs:describedby" 
href="http://ecw.example.org/powder1.xml" type="text/powder+xml" />
7    </head>
8    <body>
9      …
10     <p>Charles I came to the throne believing in his
11     <a href="http://monarchy.example.org/divine_right.html">Divine 
Right</a> to rule…
12     …
13   </body>
14 </html>"

So if the URI for use as relation name in RDF is 
"http://www.w3.org/2007/05/powder-s#describedby" why not use the same 
URI in Atom?

BR, Julian

---

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:58:21 +0100

> "http://www.w3.org/2007/05/powder-s#describedby" why not use the same  

Excellent question; I thought of the exact same thing when reading the proposal.

-- 
Asbjørn Ulsberg         -=|=-          [email-masked]
«He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»