Subject: [Autoconf] WG Action: RECHARTER: Ad-Hoc Network Autoconfiguration (autoconf)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:50:17 -0800 (PST)

The Ad-Hoc Network Autoconfiguration (autoconf) working group in the
Internet Area of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the working group
Chairs.

Ad-Hoc Network Autoconfiguration (autoconf)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  Ryuji Wakikawa <[email-masked]>
  Thomas Clausen <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Directors:
  Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
  Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
  Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf
  Archive:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/autoconf/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

RFC 5889 presents one possible IPv6 addressing model for ad hoc
nodes. In this model the ad hoc routers need to configure their
network interface(s) with addresses valid in the ad hoc network, and
may configure additional prefixes for use by attached nodes.

After completing the work on RFC 5889, the main purpose of the
AUTOCONF WG is to standardize how existing IPv6 address configuration
tools can be used for address configuration.

1. DHCPv6 operation over MANET, including:

- A DHCPv6-based mechanism for configuring required interface
addresses for the routers in the ad hoc network. This mechanism
is expected to produce addresses with properties outlined in RFC
5889. This mechanism uses the existing DHCPv6 protocol unchanged,
and assumes a central node that can allocate addresses on a
first-come-first-served basis. Nodes in the ad hoc network
will relay messages to the central node in order to help a new
node get an address for itself. This mechanism is only suitable
for deployments were a central node can be set up. It should be
noted that many existing deployments employ Internet gateways
that can act as such a central node as well. Future extensions
such as central node election may make this mechanism suitable
for also for stand-alone ad hoc networks.

- A DHCPv6-based mechanism for delegating a prefix(es) to each
router for use by applications running on the routers themselves,
or for configuration of attached hosts/networks. This mechanism
works in a similar manner to the one above, but allocates
prefixes instead of addresses.

Both mechanisms should be independent from operation of any specific
MANET routing protocol, although may exploit information maintained by
such a routing protocol, if available.

The working group will adapt and/or reuse existing protocols whenever
reasonable and possible. No new duplicate address detection mechanisms
will be specified.

2. Analysis of Problem Space for distributed address configuration and
service discovery. This analysis is necessary in order to understand
what type of distributed solution(s) can be standardized. There is
already quite a lot of material about possible solutions in the
literature.

The working group plans to establish design teams for rapidly advancing
towards initial submissions for these two work items. The group shall
also work with the 6LOWPAN and ROLL working group to ensure that
the results from AUTOCONF working group are useful for the larger
community and do not overlap with work already in progress in these
other working groups.

Goals and Milestones:

- Jan 2011 First working group draft of the "DHCPv6 operation over
           MANET"
- Jan 2011 First working group draft of the "Analysis of Problem Space"
- Sep 2011 Submission of the "DHCPv6 operation over MANET" to the IESG
           for publication as BCP
- Sep 2011 Submission of the "Analysis of Problem Space" the IESG for
           publication as Informational RFC
- Oct 2011 First working group draft of the "Distributed Solution"
- Jun 2012 Submission of the "Distributed Solution" to the IESG for
           publication as an Proposed Standard RFC
- Jun 2012 Rechartering or Closing WG

---

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:46:32 -0800

...is here:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-intarea-vet

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]