Subject: IEEE LANOMS99 - Advanced Program and Registration Form

From: "LANOMS'99" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 17:40:29 -0200 (EDT)

**************************************************************  
*       You are very welcome to participate in the           *
*                                                            *
*                      IEEE LANOMS99                         *
*                                                            *
* LATIN AMERICAN NETWORK OPERATIONS AND MANAGEMENT SYMPOSIUM *
*                                                            *
*            http://www.lrg.ufsc.br/~lanoms99/               *
*                                                            *
*                   Rio Atlantica Hotel                      *
*                Rio de Janeiro - Brazil                     *
*                   December 3-5, 1999                       *
**************************************************************

***** IEEE LANOMS99 - TECHNICAL SESSIONS ***** 

SESSION 1  - SECURITY MANAGEMENT 
Auditorium#1 - Dec 03 - 08:30 - 10:00 

1.1 - Access Control In Multicast Environments: An Approach 
to Senders Authentication 
      Antonio F. Gomez Skarmeta, Angel L. Mateo Martinez and Pedro M. 
      Ruiz Martinez 
      Universidad de Murcia (Spain) 

1.2 - A Large-scale System Authorization Scheme Proposal Integrating 
      Java, CORBA and Web Security Models and a Discretionary Prototype 
      Carla Merkle Westphall and Joni da Silva Fraga 
      Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina (Brazil) 

1.3 - Impact of Security Policies on the TMN-X Interface Integrity and 
      Performance. 
      Ognjen Prnjat and Lionel Sacks 
      University College London (England) 

SESSION 2 - MULTI-AGENTS AND MOBILE AGENTS 
Auditorium#2 - Dec 03 - 08:30 - 10:00 

2.1 - Multi-agent Advisory System. 
      Cuesta P., Barreiro E., Gonzalez E., Carrion P., 
      Laza R. and Corchado J. M. 
      Universidad de Vigo (Spain) 

2.2 - Traffic Management A Multi-Agent System Approach 
      Paulo Monteiro and Luis Correio 
      Alcatel Telecom (Portugal) 

2.3 - Analyzing Mobile Agent Scalability in Network Management 
      Marcelo Goncalves Rubistein and Otto Carlos Muniz Bandeira Duarte 
      Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) 

SESSION 3 - TELECOMMUNICATION POLICIES AND SOLUTIONS FOR NETWORK 
MANAGEMENT 
Auditorium#1 - Dec 03 - 10:30 - 12:00 
  
3.1 - Methodology for Specifying And Implementing a Management Solution 
      Sergio Clementi and Tereza Cristina Melo de Brito Carvalho 
      Universidade de São Paulo (Brazil) 
  
3.2 - Experiences in the Developing of a Prototype Sytem for the Exchange 
of Management Information Study Case: Colombia 
      Leonor Wilches-Chaux, Carlos E. Caciedo 
      CINTEL (Colombia) 

3.3 - The Foundations and Formation of Public Policies 
for Telecommunications 
      Keith von Mecklenburg 
      University of St. Andrews (Scothland) 

SESSION 4 - ARTIFICIAL INTELIGENCE SOLUTIONS FOR NETWORK MANAGEMENT 
Auditorium#2 - Dec 03 - 10:30 - 12:00 

4.1 - Solving the Parallel Task Scheduling Problem by Means of a 
Genetic Approach 
      Esquivel S.C., Gatica C.R. and Gallard R.H. 
      Universidad Nacional de San Luis (Argentina) 

4.2 - Enhanced Genetic Algorithms for the Cluster Allocation Problem in 
Distributed Systems 
      Apolloni R., Molina S. and Gallard R.H. 
      Universidad Nacional de San Luis (Argentina) 

4.3 - Fault Diagnosis for Local Area Network Environments 
      Volnys Bernal, Leliane N. de Barros, Marilza Lemos and 
      Jacques Wainer 
      Universidade de São Paulo / Universidade de Campinas (Brazil) 

SESSION 5 - ATM MANAGEMENT 
Auditorium#1 - Dec 03 - 14:30 - 15:30 

5.1 - Measure-based Estimation of The Required Capacity on ATM 
Switches Using Neural Networks 
      Miguel Franklin, Adriano Nascimento, Marcelino Pequeno 
      and Mauro Oliveira 
      Universidade Federal do Ceará / CEFET-CE (Brazil) 

5.2 - Comparative Analisys of Multicast Routing Algorithms 
for Multimedia Communication over ATM Networks 
      Frank Meylan, Luis Gustavo Gasparini Kiatake, Marcelo Zanoni 
Santos, 
      Sergio Takeo Kofuji and Jean Pierre Courtiart 
      LAAS-CNRS7 (France) / Universidade de São Paulo (Brazil) 

5.3 - Service Level Management in ATM Networks 
      Daniel Puka, Manoel Camillo Penna and Vinicius Prodocimo 
      CEFET-PR / Visionnaire (Brazil) 

SESSION 6 - TELECOMMUNICATION INFORMATION MANAGEMENT 
Auditorium#2 - Dec 03 - 14:30 - 15:30 

6.1 - Defining a Generic Information Model for Addresing New Service 
Offers in a Competitive Scenario 
     Jean-Daniel Guedj, Giovanni Martini and Luca Valtriani 
     Telecom Argentina (Argentina) / CSELT (Italy) 
  
6.2 - A process-driven methodological approach for the design of 
telecommunication management systems 
     Thierry Fraize, Julio Villena, Jean-Daniel Guedj 
     Telecom Argentina (Argentina) 

6.3 - Transmuting Legacy Network Management Environment 
into TMN-based INM 
      Wang-Dong Woo, Hee-Sam Hwang and Byung-Nam Yoon 
      Eletronics and Telecommunication Research Institute (Korea) 

SESSION 7 - TMN TECHNOLOGIES 
Auditorium#1 - Dec 04 - 08:30 - 10:00 

7.1 - Configuration Management Integration For Telecommunications 
Networks: An Implementation Experiment 
      Linnyer Beatrys Ruiz, Manoel Camillo Penna, Karlo Adriano Nocera, 
      Mario Jose Ferreira, Celso Antonio Alver Kaestner and Joelson dos 
Passos 
      PUC-PR (Brazil) 

7.2 - Experiential Knowledge in TMN 
      Alexandre Moraes Ramos and Joao Bosco da Mota Alves 
      Universidade do Vale do Itajaí / Universidade Federal de Santa 
Catarina (Brazil) 

7.3 - SMART-FO: TMN Maintenance Support System for Optical Fibre Network. 
      Francesco Russano 
      SIRTI (Italy) 

SESSION 8 - PROACTIVE AND PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT 
Auditorium#2 - Dec 04 - 08:30 - 10:00 

8.1 - SEGRE: An Expert System for Pro-active Computer Network Management 
      Cecilia A. Castro Cesar and Celso de Renna e Souza 
      Instituto Tecnológico de Aeronáutica (Brazil) 

8.2 - Towards Proactive Network Load Management for Distributed Parallel 
Programming 
      Sergio Nesmachnow, Antonio Lopez and Carlos Lopez 
      Universidad de la República (Uruguay) 

8.3 - Performance Monitoring of Telemanagement Systems 
      Wagner Meira Jr, Patricia Aguiar, Jose Marcos Nogueira and 
      Christiano Mata Machado 
      Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais / Telemar Minas (Brazil) 

SESSION 9 - TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT 
Auditorium#1 - Dec 04 - 10:30 - 12:00 

9.1 - An Efficient Low-Cost Traffic Management System for Large Switching 
Networks 
      Ana Luiza Barros Diniz, Sergio Campos, Jose Marcos Nogueira, 
      Christiano Mata Machado and Luiz Geraldo Souza 
      Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais / Telemar Minas (Brazil) 

9.2 - Traffic Simulation and the Location of Mobile Units in Wireless 
Communication Systems 
      Mauro Nacif Rocha, Geraldo Robson Mateus and Soraia Lucia da Silva 
      Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil) 

9.3 - Connection Admission Management for Self-Similar Traffic 
      Nelson L. S. Fonseca, Gilberto S. Mayor and Cesar A. V. Neto 
      Universidade de Campinas (Brazil) 

SESSION 10 - WEB-BASED MANAGEMENT AND INTERNET TECHNOLOGY 
Auditorium#2 - Dec 04 - 10:30 - 12:00 
  
10.1 - WebManager: A Web-Based Network Management Application 
       Jacques Philippe Sauve 
       Universidade Federal da Paraíba (Brazil) 

10.2 - Web Based Management in Lua 
       Edison Ishikawa, Noemi Rodriguez 
       IME / PUC-Rio (Brazil) 

10.3 - Reporting the Experience of a Post-Graduate Program in Computer 
Network Operations, Internet Technology and Operating Systems' Support 
       Manuel Lois Anido 
       Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) 

SESSION 11 - QUALITY OF SERVICE AND NETWORK PROVISION OPERATION 
Auditorium#1 - Dec 04 - 14:00 - 15:30 

11.1 - Resource Allocation and Quality of Service for Distributed 
Multimedia Applications 
       Carlos de Castro Goulart and Jose Marcos Silva Nogueira 
       Universidade Federal de Viçosa / Universidade Federal de Minas 
Gerais (Brazil) 

11.2 - Algorithms and Contracts for Network and Systems Management 
       Paulo Pereira and Paulo Pinto 
       Universidade Técnica de Lisboa / Universidade Nova de Lisboa 
(Portugal) 

11.3 - Work Force Management (WFM) 
       Bruno Guido, Gavazzi Roberto, Fabio Malabocchia and Luisella Sisto 
       CSELT (Italy) 

SESSION 12 - INTELLIGENT AGENT AND HIERARCHICAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS 
Auditorium#2 - Dec 04 - 14:00 - 15:30 

12.1 - An Environment for Developing Neural Network-based Intelligent 
Agents 
       Adriano Nascimento, Miguel Frankin and Mauro Oliveira 
       Universidade Federal do Ceará / CEFET-CE (Brazil) 

12.2 - Distributed Network Security Management Using Intelligent Agents 
       K. Boudaoud and N. Agoulmine 
       EURECOM Institute / PRISM Laboratory (France) 

12.3 - Hierarchical Management Protocol for Large Networks 
       Marcial Porto Fernandez, Gardel Moreira Delfino and 
       Aloysio de Castro P. Pedroza 
       Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) 

***** IEEE LANOMS99 - PANELS *****

PANEL1  - TELECOMMUNICATIONS OPERATIONS AND MANAGEMENT IN LATIN AMERICA 
Auditorium#1 - Dec 03 - 16:00 - 18:00 

PANEL2  - MOBILE TELECOMMUNICATIONS: TRENDS AND OPPORTUNITIES 
Auditorium#1 - Dec 04 - 16:00 - 18:00 

***** IEEE LANOMS99 - TUTORIALS *****

TUTORIAL 1.1 - The technological and Economic Effects of the Deregulation
               of the Global Telecommunications Industry upon the Application
               of the Principles of Network Management
Auditorium#1 - Dec 05 - 09:00 - 12:30

TUTORIAL 1.2 - Neural Networks or Distributed Algorithms for Network
               Management
Auditorium#2 - Dec 05 - 09:00 - 12:30 

TUTORIAL 2.1 - New Global Solutions of Event Correlation based on 
               Distributed  infrastructure
Auditorium#1 - Dec 05 - 14:00 - 17:30 

TUTORIAL 2.2 - Network Management with SNMP: The Manager-Agent and
               Distributed Paradigms
Auditorium#2 - Dec 05 - 14:00 - 17:30 

***** IEEE LANOMS99 - REGISTRATION FORM ****

NAME:
TITLE:
ORGANIZATION:
DEPARTMENT:
ADDRESS:
STATE:
COUNTRY:
TELEPHONE:
FAX:

Full or Technical Sessions IEEE Members Registration - Member Number:
Full (Technical Sessions + 2 Tutorials)
( ) USD 499 on / before Nov. 26  or ( ) USD 559 after Nov. 26
Technical Sessions
( ) USD 290 Profissional or ( ) USD 190 Authors or ( ) USD 60 Students

Full or Technical Sessions IEEE NON-Members Registration
Full (Technical Sessions + 2 Tutorials)
( ) USD 499 on / before Nov. 26 or ( ) USD 559 after Nov. 26
Technical Sessions
( ) USD 350 Profissional or ( ) USD 190 Authors or ( ) USD 70 Students

Number of tutorial to be Registrated
IEEE Members     ( ) USD 125 - 1 Tutorial or ( ) USD 225 - 2 Tutorials
IEEE Non-Members ( ) USD 150 - 1 Tutorial or ( ) USD 250 - 2 Tutorials
Tutorials (Mark your choices)
( ) Tutorial 1.1 or ( ) Tutorial 1.2
( ) Tutorial 2.1 or ( ) Tutorial 2.1

Proceedings (IEEE Members / Non-members)
( ) USD 30 

Total Registration: USD______
Total Tutorial: USD________
Total Proceedings: USD_______
Total Reminttance : USD_______

Method of Payment
( ) Method 1 - Money order in USD Payable to FEESC
( ) Method 2 - Check Brazilian Banks in R$ (exchange rate 1,9 R$/USD)
For both methods make transfer to the following bank account:
Bank Name: Banco do Brasil
Bank Number: 001
Branch Number: 1453-2
Bank Account: 204.422.6
( ) Method 3 - ( ) Visa or ( ) Mastercard
Number:
Expiration Date:
Account Name:
Authorized ( ) I authorize FEESC to deduct the amount inserted at
TOTAL REMITTANCE from my credit card.
 
SEND BY FAX OR BY EMAIL THE COMPLETED FORM WITH PAYMENT TO:
Fundacao de Ensino e Engenharia de Santa Catarina (FEESC)
Caixa Postal 5040
88040-970, Florianopolis (SC) Brazil
Phone: +55.48.2334455
FAX: +55.48.3319677
EMAIL: [email-masked]

***** IEEE LANOMS99 - COMMITTEE MEMBERS *****

General and  TPC Chair: 
Carlos Becker Westphall, Brazil 

TPC Co-Chairs: 
Luiz Fernando Kormann, Brazil 
Mirela Sechi Moretti Annoni Notare, Brazil 

Publication Chair: 
Bernardo Goncalves Riso, Brazil 

Publicity Chair: 
Juan Carlos Miguez, Uruguay 

Finance Chair: 
Fernando Augusto da Silva Cruz, Brazil 
Joao Bosco Mangueira Sobral, Brazil 

Local Arrangements Chair: 
Michael Stanton, Brazil 

IEEE CNOM Chair: 
Veli Sahin, USA 

International Liasions: 
Africa: J. Roos, South Africa 
Asia: J. Hong, Korea 
Europe: E. Bagnasco, Italy 
N. America: S. Aidarous, USA 
Oceania: P. Ray, Australia 

Advisory Board: 
B. Meandzijas, USA 
D. Zuckerman, USA 
M. Ejiri, Japan 
M. Yoshida, Japan 
R. Saracco, Italy 
S. Goyal, USA 
V. Sahin, USA 
W. Zimmer, Germany 

Technical Program Committee 
Adarsh Sethi (USA) 
Alan Mckinlay (UK) 
Alejandro Miralles (Chile) 
Behcet Sarikaya (Japan) 
Carlos de Lara (Mexico) 
Carlos E. Caicedo (Colombia) 
Edward Pinnes (USA) 
Edmundo R. Madeira (Brazil) 
Elias Procopio Duarte Junior (Brazil) 
Gabriel Jakobson (USA) 
German Goldszmidt (USA) 
Guy Pujolle (France) 
Heinz-Gerd Hegering (Germany) 
Joberto S. Barbosa Martins (Brazil) 
Jong-Tae Park (Korea) 
Jose Marcos Nogueira (Brazil) 
Jose Neuman de Souza (Brazil) 
Keith-Stuart von Mecklenburg (UK) 
Leonor W. Chaux (Colombia) 
Manu Malek (USA) 
Manoel C. Penna (Brazil) 
Michael Bauer (Canada) 
Michelle Sibilla (France) 
Nelson Fonseca (Brazil) 
Osvaldo Bianchi (Argentina) 
Paulo Gomide Cohn (Brazil) 
Raul Monge (Chile) 
Robert Weihmayer (USA) 
Roberto Vercelli (Italy) 
Seraphin Calo (USA) 
Varoozh Harikian (Belgium)

---

From: Willie LU <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 21:21:51 -0700

***********************************
Sorry for Multiple copies of this mesage.
***********************************

Dear Colleagues:

The CFP for 3Gwireless'2000 and wmATM'2000 (the first and biggest global 3G
Wireless technical conference, with 3rd workshop on wmATM) will be due on Nov.
19, 1999. For details, pls look at the web:
http://www.itu.int/imt/5_mtgs/other_mtgs.htm, then go to "3G Wireless 2000". OR
go to: 3gwireless.com/3g/3gwireless00.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Willie Lu
General Chair

---

From: "LANOMS'99" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 15:08:06 -0200 (EDT)

YOU COULD REGISTER ON-LINE VIA www.lrg.ufsc.br/~lanoms99.

By Keith von Mecklenburg (St. Andrews University, Scotland)     

TUTORIAL 1.2 - Neural Networks and Distributed Algorithms for Network
               Management
By Jayantha Herath (St. Cloud State University, USA), and
By Susantha Herath (Aizu University, Japan) 
Auditorium#2 - Dec 05 - 09:00 - 12:30

TUTORIAL 2.1 - New Global Solutions of Event Correlation based on
               Distributed  infrastructure
By Gabriel Jakobson (GTE, USA)
Auditorium#1 - Dec 05 - 14:00 - 17:30

TUTORIAL 2.2 - Network Management with SNMP: The Manager-Agent and
               Distributed Paradigms
By Elias P. Duarte Jr. (Federal University of Parana, Brazil)
Auditorium#2 - Dec 05 - 14:00 - 17:30

***** IEEE LANOMS99 - TUTORIALS ABSTRACS *****

TUTORIAL 1.1 - The Technological and Economic Effects of the Deregulation 
of the Global Telecommunications Industry upon the Application of the
Principles of Network Management

Deregulation has increased the level of competition within National and
International Telecommunications Industries, as State firms (e.g. Deutsche
Telekom) and those private firms that dominate the telecoms market ( e.g.
the Bell Companies and BT) within national jurisdictions, have to consider
the lowering of line access charges to meet that competitive situation.
It means that all firms, incumbents and new entrants, have to be focussed
on the level of fixed and variable costs. Instead of being able to design and
implement technological network systems with little regard to costs, the
pressure is upon management to find the most effective technological
solution which will also meet the measure of the lowest fixed and variable
costs.   
The tutorial will therefore advance a new set of network management 
principles to meet the new and developing market competitive situation. 
Network Management will seek to develop operational models which satisfy the
conflicting demands of the best technological and the best economic models
of effective Network Management.

TUTORIAL 1.2 - Neural Networks and Distributed algorithms for Network 
Management

This tutorial provides an overview to network management issues in high
performance distributed computing which promises wide range of new
computationally intensive applications such as intelligent agents, data
mining, computing at remote sites across wide variety of networks
including the web. Network management and development of such applications
and tools are neither easy nor quick because of the heterogeneous nature
of the distributed systems. The problem becomes much difficult because of
the service needs of distributed computations to be considered in the
design and implementation process.  Such needs include locating resources,
allocating resources, communication protocols, security, accessibility,
files, faults, memories and control. Network management is crucial to
achieving highest performance from a dynamically changing distributed 
computing environment.
This tutorial addresses the importance of applying learning techniques to
distributed algorithms for network management. After providing an overview
of centralized, hierarchical and distributed management models, protocols
and architectures it will introduce the importance of integrating learning
algorithms to the distributed algorithms. It will describe neural network
based computations as one out of many learning techniques available for
such applications. The focus will be to examine the integration of
learning techniques to distributed algorithms for network management. This
tutorial will also overview the recent activities and issues in the areas
of communication protocols, synchronization algorithms for clocks,
elections and deadlock handling, scheduling and fault tolerance of
distributed processes and processors, sharing and replication management
of distributed file systems and distributed shared memories.
>From this tutorial you will learn network management models, neural
network algorithms and  distributed algorithms for network management.

Audience: This is an introductory/intermediate level tutorial. The intended
audience includes network/service managers and technical operations support
professionals interested in learning new advanced methods of fault, 
performance.
Abstract: Event correlation is a widely accepted technology for managing the
complexity of modern telecommunication and data networks. Specific 
correlation applications have been developed to manage switched, SS7, 
wireless, ATM, SONET, IP, and other networks. All major players in the 
network management arena have either developed their own, usually 
embedded event correlation procedures, or have used event correlation 
products such as InCharge, NerveCenter, ILOG, ART-Enterprise, RTWorks, 
NetExpert, and G2. Various approaches to event correlation exist, 
including rule-, case-, and model-based reasoning, finite Major network 
operations support functions, based on real-time event correlation have 
emerged, including reduction of event flow by context-sensitive event 
filtering, fault management by fault diagnostics, localization, root 
cause identification and generation of corrective actions, and status
reporting of complex multi-level hierarchical networks by semantic 
generalization of Despite the progress in the development of event 
correlation systems, there is a need to re-evaluate the current event 
correlation solutions and define new directions. It is important to 
broaden the utility of event correlation to other aspects of network 
management, such as performance, configuration, testing, security, and 
service quality management. Most importantly, the technology should be 
extended to perform cross-correlation between different domains, e.g. 
cross-correlation This tutorial is divided into three parts. In the first 
introductory part we will review the tasks, objectives, major 
technologies and products of existing solutions of event correlation. In 
the second part, we will introduce the concept, architectural
framework, and components of a distributed global event correlation 
solution. In the third part we will illustrate how the concepts and 
architectural framework were implemented in a particular system GRACE, 
developed at GTE Laboratories. We will discuss the use of CORBA, Java, 
XML, SWING, Jacc and other technologies in GRACE, and illustrate the use 
of event correlation  ith practical network management examples. 

[Abstract]
This tutorial starts with an introduction to the SNMP network management
framework, describing its main components, including the SMI, MIB's,
agents, management applications and the protocol itself.  Following this
introduction, the distributed paradigm for network management is examined,
as well as different approaches for its deployment using SNMP. Case
studies are presented, including the Routing Proxy, the Delegado MIB
and the implementation of distributed system-level diagnosis using
SNMP. Finally, an overview of the IETF's DisMan MIB's is presented.
[Audience]
This is an introdutory/intermediate tutorial.  The intended audience
includes network managers and technical professionals interested in
learning about SNMP and how it can be used both a manager-agent and a
distributed management paradigm.   

***** IEEE LANOMS99 - TUTORIALS REGISTRATION FORM ****

NAME:
TITLE:
ORGANIZATION:
DEPARTMENT:
ADDRESS:
STATE:
COUNTRY:
EMAIL:
TELEPHONE:
FAX:       

Method of Payment
( ) Method 1 - Money order in USD Payable to FEESC
( ) Method 2 - Check Brazilian Banks in R$ (exchange rate 1,9 R$/USD)
For both methods make transfer to the following bank account:  
Bank Name: Banco do Brasil
Bank Number: 001
Branch Number: 1453-2
Bank Account: 204.422.6
Swift Code: BRASBRRJFNS
( ) Method 3 - ( ) Mastercard
Number:__________________
Expiration Date:______________
Account Name:________________
Authorized ( ) I authorize FEESC to deduct the amount inserted at
TOTAL REMITTANCE from my credit card.

---

From: "LANOMS'99" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 15:48:21 -0200 (EDT)

[Abstract]

NAME:
TITLE:
ORGANIZATION:
DEPARTMENT:
ADDRESS:
STATE:
COUNTRY:
EMAIL:
TELEPHONE:
FAX:       

Method of Payment