Subject: 10/20 New Approaches to Image Retrieval and Video Shot Boundary Detection -- Yihong Gong, NEC

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:30:00 -0700

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

New Approaches to Image Retrieval and Video Shot Boundary Detection

Wednesday October 20, 1999, 
1:00-2:30 p.m. PDT
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

Yihong Gong 
NEC

The explosive growth of digital images in computer systems and networks has
dramatically increased the
need for multimedia database systems that effectively index, store, and
retrieve image and video data based
on their contents. Techniques for content-based image retrieval enable
users to retrieve images based on their
visual similarities, while techniques for video shot boundary detection aim
to segment a continuous video
sequence into visually consistant units, so that the sequence can be
efficiently indexed and retrieved. In this
talk, I will present two novel approaches for image retrieval and video
shot boundary detection. 

First, I will present an image retrieval system that strives to achieve
advanced content-based image retrieval
using seamless combination of two complementary approaches: on one hand, we
propose a new color
clustering method to better capture color properties of the original
images; on the other hand, expecting that
image regions acquired from the original images inevitably contain many
errors, we make use of the available
erroneous, ill-segmented image regions to accomplish the object
region-based image retrieval. We also
propose an effective image indexing scheme to facilitate fast and efficient
image matching and retrieval. 

Next, I will present a new shot boundary detection method that achieves a
better shot boundary detection rate
and the precision rate. We use the same color clustering method used in the
image retrieval system for
extracting color distributions from video frames. A novel approach is
proposed to effectively suppress both the
intra-frame and the inter-frame color variations caused by noise, minor
illumination changes, as well as
camera and object motions.

---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real
Networks G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:

http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm 
You'll see a link to cs298-5/real networks/live programs.  

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player:

rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
   http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving
the announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually
configuring the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session
addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to
replays of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center