Subject: rtpMonitor thesis and software available

From: Don Brutzman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 17:16:08 -0700

IMPLEMENTING A MONITOR APPLICATION FOR THE
        REAL-TIME TRANSPORT PROTOCOL (RTP) USING THE
                 JAVA MEDIA FRAMEWORK (JMF)

                  Francisco Carlos Afonso
           Lieutenant Commander, Brazilian Navy
    Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey California USA
                    September 1999

Abstract.  The Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) supports the 
transmission of time-based media, such as audio and video, 
over wide-area networks (WANs), by adding synchronization 
and quality-of- service (QoS) feedback capabilities to the 
existing transport protocol. RTP has been widely used in 
the Multicast Backbone (MBone), a virtual network that has 
become a shared worldwide medium for Internet multicast
communications.

	This work presents the design patterns, architecture 
and implementation of an RTP monitor application using the 
Java Media Framework (JMF), a new Java Application Programming 
Interface (API) for multimedia support. An RTP monitor is an
application that receives packets from all participants in a 
multicast session in order to estimate the quality of service 
for distribution monitoring, fault diagnosis and both short
and long-term statistics.

	This new RTP monitor is available as a component of 
the Virtual Reality Transfer Protocol (vrtp), a protocol 
being developed to support large-scale virtual environments
(LSVEs) over the Internet. Initial test results are 
satisfactory for audio and video streams, as well as prototype 
RTP-compliant Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS) protocol
streams. Future work includes automated monitoring across WANs 
and standardizing structured data formats to comply with 
Management Information Base (MIB) requirements using Extensible 
Markup Language (XML) target set definitions.

The thesis and software are available at
http://www.web3D.org/WorkingGroups/vrtp/rtpMonitor/rtpMonitor.html
Sample screen snapshots are available at
http://www.web3D.org/WorkingGroups/vrtp/rtpMonitor/manual.html

Comments, bricks and bouquets are welcome.

all the best, Don
-- 
Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code UW/Br Root 200  work 831.656.2149
              Monterey California 93943-5000 USA              fax  831.656.3679
Virtual worlds/underwater robots/Internet     http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman