Subject: [AVT] Protocol Action: RTP Payload Format for SMPTE 292M Video to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:50:34 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'RTP Payload Format for SMPTE 
292M Video' <draft-ietf-avt-smpte292-video-08.txt> as a Proposed 
Standard. This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport 
Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Allison 
Mankin.

Technical Summary
   
This document specifies a RTP payload format for encapsulating 
uncompressed High Definition Television (HDTV) as defined by the 
Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) standard, 
SMPTE 292M. SMPTE is the main standardizing body in the motion imaging 
industry and the SMPTE 292M standard defines a bit-serial digital 
interface for local area HDTV transport and defines a universal medium 
of interchange for uncompressed High Definition Television (HDTV) 
between various types of video equipment (cameras, encoders, VTRs, 
etc.). SMPTE 292M stipulates that the source data be in 10 bit words 
and the total data rate be either 1.485 Gbps or 1.485/1.001 Gbps.

The use of a dedicated serial interconnect is appropriate in a studio
environment, but it is desirable to leverage the widespread 
availability of high bandwidth IP connectivity to allow efficient wide 
area delivery of area delivery of SMPTE 292M format content. This memo 
defines a way to do so.
   
Working Group Summary
   
The AVT working group supported publication of this document on the
standards track.
   
Protocol Quality
  
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner.
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt