Subject: RE: [AVT] RTP: IPv6 examples for RTCP SDES CNAME

From: "Peter Barany" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 09:37:06 -0600

Colin,

Agreed. Perhaps the clarification below will address your concern:

>   For example, the standard ASCII
>   representation of an IP Version 4 address is "dotted decimal", also
>   known as dotted quad, and for IP Version 6, addresses are textually
>   represented as eight groups of four hexadecimal digits separated by
>   colons, where a contiguous sequence of 16-bit blocks set to "0" in the
>   colon hexadecimal format can be compressed to "::" (this zero
compression
>   can only be used to compress a single contiguous sequence of 16-bit
blocks
>   within an IP Version 6 address).

Regards,

Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: Colin Perkins [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 8:03 PM
To: Stephen Casner
Cc: AVT WG
Subject: Re: [AVT] RTP: IPv6 examples for RTCP SDES CNAME 

--> Stephen Casner writes:
>At the suggestion of Peter Barany, I added explanation and examples of
>IPv6 address formats to the IPv4 cases that were already there for the
>format of the RTCP SDES CNAME item.  I expect these are not
>controversial.  Is this IPv6 address officially designated for use in
>document examples as 192.0.2.0/24 is for IPv4?  Use of a real address
>is generally not advised.
>
>                                                        -- Steve
>
>   For example, the standard ASCII
>   representation of an IP Version 4 address is "dotted decimal", also
>   known as dotted quad, and for IP Version 6, addresses are textually
>   represented as eight groups of four hexadecimal digits separated by
>   colons.  ...

I suspect this description is not sufficient, since formats like FF01::101
and ::13.1.68.3 are allowed by RFC 2373. We should probably reference that
definition directly.

Colin
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 11:15:29 -0500

Pete,

--> "Peter Barany" writes:
>>   colon hexadecimal format can be compressed to "::" (this zero compression
>>   can only be used to compress a single contiguous sequence of 16-bit blocks

Definitely better. Is the ::10.0.0.1 form of IPv6 address still legal
though?

Colin