Subject: [AVT] RTP: IPv6 examples for RTCP SDES CNAME

From: Stephen Casner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 16:18:59 -0800 (PST)

At the suggestion of Peter Barany, I added explanation and examples of
IPv6 address formats to the IPv4 cases that were already there for the
format of the RTCP SDES CNAME item.  I expect these are not
controversial.  Is this IPv6 address officially designated for use in
document examples as 192.0.2.0/24 is for IPv4?  Use of a real address
is generally not advised.

                                                        -- Steve

   For example, the standard ASCII
   representation of an IP Version 4 address is "dotted decimal", also
   known as dotted quad, and for IP Version 6, addresses are textually
   represented as eight groups of four hexadecimal digits separated by
   colons.  ...

   Examples are "[email-masked]", "[email-masked]" or
   "doe@2201:056D::112E:144A:1E24" for a multi-user system.  On a system
   with no user name, examples would be "sleepy.megacorp.com",
   "192.0.2.89" or "2201:056D::112E:144A:1E24".

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 21:03:01 -0500

>   represented as eight groups of four hexadecimal digits separated by

I suspect this description is not sufficient, since formats like FF01::101
and ::13.1.68.3 are allowed by RFC 2373. We should probably reference that
definition directly.

Colin

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 23:08:02 -0500

One comment. As per the latest I-D nits guidelines:

http://www.ietf.org/ID-nits.html

domain names outside of rfc2606 are not allowed. Thus, I suggest 
changing megacorp.com to example.com.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com