Subject: [AVT] Comments on draft-jones-avt-text-red-00.txt

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:08:07 +0100

Hi Paul,

I have a few comments and question.

1. In a WG document version you need to include the short copyright 
statement on the first page.

2. The abstract and first chapter: Is really usage of this mime type 
specified in RFC 2793? I thought this was only one possible usage of 
this MIME type. Technically this mime type could be used with any other 
format using the text and fulfilling any other requirement.

3. Shouldn't there be a chapter on mapping to SDP? As there are some 
tricks in relation to the defined MIME parameter "pt" and SDP. I think 
this is in line with the current explicit declaration of SDP usage.

Cheers

Magnus

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: "Paul E. Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:31:29 -0500

Magnus,

> statement on the first page.

Can you point to a sample document and section?  I tried to copy the text I
found in other WG documents, though it would surprise me that I left
something out.

> format using the text and fulfilling any other requirement.

Your point is valid, as RFC 2793 might be just one of several documents that
might specify the use of this.  However, if I think of audio/red, I think of
RFC 2198.  I think what you're saying is that for use with SDP, 2198/2793
are apropos, but necessarily other applications that might use this mime
sub-type.  Since I have no other example, should I just say something along
those lines?

> this is in line with the current explicit declaration of SDP usage.

Yes, you're right.  Essentially, it would follow chapter 3 of RFC 3555.  I
will create a chapter and simply refer to that text, if that's acceptable.

Paul

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:39:56 +0100

Hi Paul,

>found in other WG documents, though it would surprise me that I left

The copyright statement people has been using is the first line of the 
section 10.3. (C) of RFC 2026. However it seems that the ID-nits are no 
longer required that it is included. So I withdraw my comment.

>sub-type.  Since I have no other example, should I just say something along

Yes, the MIME type can be used by any current or future text payload 
format that fulfil the requirement imposed by RFC 2198.

>will create a chapter and simply refer to that text, if that's acceptable.

It has been usually to actually include a copy and provide the details 
of how things are included. Especially you need to make it clear how the 
mapping of PT is done to the FMTP line.

Cheers

Magnus