Subject: [avt] Refined specification for text over IP FW: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-rfc2793bis-00.txt

From: "Gunnar Hellstrom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:28:23 +0100

A new IETF draft is available related to real time interactive text
conversation.

An RTP transport for real time character by character transmission of text
was defined and approved a couple of years ago in IETF RFC2793.
It is now successfully used in conversational applications, usually combined
with voice and/or video to enable the participants in the session to
communicate in any preferred medium. One important user group is deaf and
hard-of-hearing people, but the feature is of course of value for all.

In the past, most multimedia implementors have been eager to create
interoperability in video and audio, while the text part has been left
behind and implemented as manufacturer specific message-oriented
"chat"-additions. It is time for a change, to raise all the three media of
video, text and audio to the same status of interoperability and deployment.
That will give multimedia based conversational services a real benefit.

The text transport according to the new draft "RFC2793 bis" is compatible
with the current RFC2793.
It clarifies use of SDP for setting up sessions including text, and
introduces a new format
specifically intended for text transit between gateways that can be merged
into the audio stream.

We(the authors) hope for rapid handling of this draft, so that it can be
used in further work in establishing
interoperable accessible multimedia implementations with all media needed in
human conversation, and in the ongoing work with text-aware gateways,
text-over-ip and transcoding services in various groups.

Please direct comments to the IETF avt list.
Regards

Gunnar Hellström

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 10:04 PM
To: IETF-Announce:
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-rfc2793bis-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: RTP Payload for Text Conversation
	Author(s)	: G. Hellstrom
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-rfc2793bis-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 2003-11-21

This memo describes how to carry text conversation session contents
in RTP packets. Text conversation session contents are specified in
ITU-T Recommendation T.140 [1].

Text conversation is used alone or in connection to other
conversational facilities such as video and voice, to form multimedia
conversation services.

This RTP payload description contains an optional possibility to
include redundant text from already transmitted packets in order to
reduce the risk of text loss caused by packet loss. The redundancy
coding follows RFC 2198.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rfc2793bis-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-avt-rfc2793bis-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rfc2793bis-00.txt".

NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rfc2793bis-00.txt