Subject: [AVT] DCCP Media Guide

From: "Phelan, Tom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:02:04 -0500

Hi,

I've sent "Strategies for Media Applications Using DCCP" to the
Internet-Drafts archive.  While we're waiting for it to be added, it's also
available at http://www.phelan-4.com/dccp/draft-phelan-dccp-media-00.txt.
The plan is that this will soon evolve into a general DCCP User Guide.

Abstract:
   This document discusses strategies for using DCCP as the transport
   protocol for streaming media applications.  Of particular interest is
   how media streams can be adapted to the smoothly varying transmit
   rate requirements of CCID3, or TCP-Friendly Rate Control (TFRC).
   Also explored is the resulting network behavior of streams using
   these strategies and the fairness between these streams and TCP-based
   streams.

Comments will be appreciated.  In particular, I make the suggestion that
media apps should transmit at up to twice their nominal maximum rate, when
DCCP allows it, in order to provide protection from competing TCP
applications.  I know that the first time I heard someone make a similar
suggestion I was horrified, but as I developed the issues it seemed to be
necessary.  Reactions to this will be appreciated.

Tom P.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 02:31:31 -0500

Tom,

I don't think this solution will be acceptable to many of the network 
providers of interactive voip services. Many of them are insistent on 
using low rate codecs, like g.723, in order to reduce the costs of 
capacity in their networks. Doubling the rate would defeat the purpose 
of using these low rate codecs in the first place.

-Jonathan R.

Phelan, Tom wrote:

> mmusic mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic
> 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com