Subject: Re: [AVT] Moving draft-jones-avt-audio-t38-01.txt forward

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 18:27:29 +0000

Paul,

On Friday, Oct 31, 2003, at 21:00 Europe/London, Paul E. Jones wrote:
> I would like to seek agreement from the AVT group to move the document
> audio/t38 document forward.  As I have mentioned previously, the ITU 
> would
> like to incorporate this in T.38 in an amendment to be approved in 
> January
> 2004.
>
> The motivation for transporting T.38 via RTP is probably obvious to 
> most.
> In fact, I recall several saying that that is the way it should have 
> been
> done from the outset.  Most certainly, this will prove to be a good 
> step in
> leveraging SRTP for fax to address security needs.
>
> The document is relatively short, just seeking the MIME registration.  
> The
> technical details will be specified in the ITU-T Recommendation T.38.
>
> Can I get agreement to make this an official working group item?  Can 
> we try to get this approved by the January 2004 ITU-T SG16 meeting?

After discussion, Magnus and I have decided that it is not appropriate 
to make this an official work item of AVT, because the payload format 
is not being developed in AVT. We are, however, willing to review the 
format and recommend its publication to the IESG, assuming there is 
consensus from the working group that this is appropriate.

Accordingly, this message is to solicit comments from the working group 
on the suitability of this MIME type registration for publication 
(assuming a matching payload format is developed by ITU SG16). Please 
send comments by Monday 17th November, so we have time to co-ordinate 
publication schedules with the ITU, IESG and RFC Editor.

-- 
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: "Paul E. Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:29:58 -0500

Colin,

It's perfectly fine with me if we take this course of action.  I just want
to ensure that we have the necessary MIME registration in place, so whatever
is necessary to make that happen, I'm willing to do it.

Please advise on the next step to be taken to get the necessary
registration.

Paul