Subject: [AVT] RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-protocol-02.txt

From: "Ash, Gerald R \(Jerry\), ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:51:59 -0600

All,

The latest update to "Protocol Extensions for ECRTP over MPLS" is
available at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-protoc
ol-02.txt.

The main changes are as follows:

1. Added text to the end of Section 1 (Introduction) to say how the
ECRTP over MPLS solution meets the requirements in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-mpls-reqs-03.txt.
2. Changed the  SCID_Packet_Type designation in Section 2.2 (Link Layer
Packet Type Field) to 00000000 (was 00010000).  This change is based on
discussions with George Swallow and Stewart Bryant about constraints on
the first nibble (e.g., see
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-ecmp-bcp-00.txt).
3. Updated boilerplate and other edits to conform to items flagged in
the idnits script.

Perhaps Allison Mankin can provide a status update on the AVT (or MPLS)
charter extensions to include this work.

Please review the draft and make comments to the list.

Thanks,
Jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2004 3:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-protocol-02.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Protocol Extensions for ECRTP over MPLS
	Author(s)	: J. Ash, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-protocol-02.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2004-12-27
	
VoIP typically uses the encapsulation voice/RTP/UDP/IP. When MPLS labels

are added, this becomes voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels. For an MPLS VPN, 
the packet header is at least 48 bytes, while the voice payload is often

no more than 30 bytes, for example. Header compression can significantly

reduce the overhead through various compression mechanisms, such as 
enhanced compressed RTP (ECRTP). We consider using MPLS to route ECRTP 
compressed packets over an MPLS LSP without compression/decompression 
cycles at each router. Such an ECRTP over MPLS capability can increase 
the bandwidth efficiency as well as processing scalability of the 
maximum number of simultaneous compressed flows that use header 
compression at each router.  In this draft we propose to use RSVP-TE 
extensions to signal the header compression context and other control 
messages between the ingress and egress LSR.  We re-use the methods in 
ECRTP to determine the context.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-protoc
ol-02.txt

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt