Subject: [AVT] RFC 3267: maxptime vs ptime

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:05:07 -0600

I am new to AVT so this may sound like a dumb question, but please bear
with me.
 
I am not sure if I understand the difference between maxptime and ptime
as described in the RFC. Further, I think that for AMR, the number of
frame per packet can only be determined if ptime is specified. Is this
correct?.
 
thanks
 
Chai.
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:56:45 +0100

On 27 Mar 2006, at 23:05, <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I am new to AVT so this may sound like a dumb question, but please  
> bear with me.
>
> I am not sure if I understand the difference between maxptime and  
> ptime as described in the RFC. Further, I think that for AMR, the  
> number of frame per packet can only be determined if ptime is  
> specified. Is this correct?.

The "a=ptime:" attribute is a hint to the encoder on the preferred  
packetisation interval for the media. The encoder may follow the  
hint, or it may vary the packetisation interval up to the value  
indicated by "a=maxptime:". The receiver is expected to be able to  
decode any reasonable packetisation.

Colin