Subject: RE: [AVT] draft-hdesineni-avt-avpf-ccm-pd-extn-00.txt

From: "Even, Roni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 09:28:21 +0200

Hi,

I read the draft and I am not sure I understand the solution based on
the motivation you specified.

The motivation section 3.1 describes a congestion scenario, I thought
that the solution for congestion should be to send a lower maximum media
bit rate request to reduce the congestion and not to change the timing
of packets.

If you are trying to address the jitter then I assume that a sender can
delay the transmission by buffering the packets but at least for
conversional services he can not send it earlier. Is this draft
applicable only for streaming media.

Thanks

Roni Even

________________________________

From: Nikolai Leung [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] draft-hdesineni-avt-avpf-ccm-pd-extn-00.txt

All,

We have submitted the Internet-Draft
draft-hdesineni-avt-avpf-ccm-pd-extn-00.txt.  Until it becomes available
in the archives you can get a copy at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hdesineni-avt-avpf-ccm-pd-extn
-00.txt

We would appreciate your review and comments.

Thanks,

Nik Leung 

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Nikolai Leung <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:44:40 -0500

Hi Roni,

Sending the maximum media bit rate request would not apply well to systems 
where the receiver does not know what rate it expects to receive during 
congestion periods.

In certain packet-switched systems where the link characteristics are time 
varying (because of slowly changing link conditions or system loading on a 
shared link) the receiver detects congestion as delays in packet 
reception.  But the receiver does not receive any indication of what 
maximum bit rate it will be provided.

In such systems, the delay adjust value in the PDAR message indicates to 
the sender the magnitude of the effect of the congestion on the 
receiver.  As delayed packets near the receiver's play out deadlines (and 
are therefore close to being dropped) the receiver communicates this state 
to the sender.

The sender would adjust its data rate/packet sizes based on this information.

-Nik

At 02:28 AM 3/9/2006, Even, Roni wrote:
>Hi,
>I read the draft and I am not sure I understand the solution based on the 
>motivation you specified.
>
>The motivation section 3.1 describes a congestion scenario, I thought that 
>the solution for congestion should be to send a lower maximum media bit 
>rate request to reduce the congestion and not to change the timing of packets.
>
>conversional services he can not send it earlier. Is this draft applicable 
>only for streaming media.
>
>Thanks
>Roni Even
>
>
>
>----------
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hdesineni-avt-avpf-ccm-pd-extn-00.txt
>