Subject: [AVT] How reduce an audio file bitrate

From: "Francesco Leardini" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 00:35:28 +0200

Hi,
I'm developing a C/S application where the Server sends audio files on
demand via RTP streaming to the Client through a Proxy.
Since the Client is a wireless component (as a notebook, PDA or mobile
phone) it's possible to assist to handoff, moving from an access point to
another one.
In order to assure quality to the service, together with a buffering system,
it should be possible, during the handoff, to reduce the audio bit rate.

Someone can help me saying how to retrieve bit rate info from an audio file?

Thanks to all in advance,
Francesco

PS. I use JMF in the develop of my application
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Dave Singer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 10:26:17 -0700

At 0:35  +0200 24/05/06, Francesco Leardini wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm developing a C/S application where the Server sends audio files 
>on demand via RTP streaming to the Client through a Proxy.
>Since the Client is a wireless component (as a notebook, PDA or 
>mobile phone) it's possible to assist to handoff, moving from an 
>access point to another one.
>In order to assure quality to the service, together with a buffering 
>system, it should be possible, during the handoff, to reduce the 
>audio bit rate.
>

I think the simple answer to your question is "no".

Unless you tell us quite a bit more about at least the file format 
you are dealing with, and probably about the audio codecs you are 
using, your question is far too open-ended for people to be much help 
(and it's probably off-topic for this list, too).

Sorry...
-- 
David Singer
Apple Computer/QuickTime