Subject: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Protocol Extensions for Header Compression over MPLS
	Author(s)	: J. Ash, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 2006-5-3
	
VoIP typically uses the encapsulation voice/RTP/UDP/IP. When MPLS
labels are added, this becomes voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels. For an
MPLS VPN, the packet header is typically 48 bytes, while the voice
payload is often no more than 30 bytes, for example. Header
compression can significantly reduce the overhead through various
compression mechanisms.  MPLS is used to route header-compressed (HC)
packets over an MPLS LSP without compression/decompression cycles at
each router.  Such an HC over MPLS capability increases the bandwidth
efficiency as well as processing scalability of the maximum number of
simultaneous compressed flows that use HC at each router.  MPLS
pseudowires are used to transport the HC context and other control
messages between the ingress and egress MPLS label switched router
(LSR).  Standard HC methods (e.g., ECRTP, ROHC, etc.) are re-used to
determine the context.  Each HC scheme operates over a single
pseudowire instance very much like it would over a single
point-to-point link.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: "Ash, Gerald R \(Jerry\), ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 20:06:09 -0500

Hi All,

The editorial updates to draft "Protocol Extensions for Header
Compression over MPLS"
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protoco
l-05.txt) address  Lars-Erik's comments at
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg06693.html.

I think the draft should now be ready for WGLC. 

Thanks,
Jerry  

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 3:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of
the IETF.

	Title		: Protocol Extensions for Header Compression
over MPLS
	Author(s)	: J. Ash, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 2006-5-3

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol
-05.txt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 17:06:19 +0100

This is to announce a working group last call on the Protocol  
Extensions for Header Compression over MPLS <draft-ietf-avt-hc-over- 
mpls-protocol-05.txt>. Please send any final comments on this draft  
to the [email-masked] mailing list by 22nd May 2006. If no issues are  
raised by that time, we will request the IESG consider this for  
publication as a proposed standard RFC.

Colin

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 10:37:17 +0200

Hi,

As your AD I would really appreciate if someone really would review this 
document and be willing to state that they have reviewed it. We need to 
ensure that cross WG reviews do work.

Cheers

Magnus

Colin Perkins wrote:
> Folks,
> 
> The following working group last call has just been issued in AVT, but 
> overlaps with the MPLS, ROHC, and PWE3 working groups.  We would be 
> grateful for review from those working groups: please send any comments 
> on the draft to the <[email-masked]> mailing list.
> 
> Thanks,
> Colin (AVT co-chair)
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Begin forwarded message:
>> From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
>> Date: 4 May 2006 17:06:19 BDT
>> To: IETF AVT WG <[email-masked]>
>> Subject: Working group last call: 
>> draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt
>>
>> Extensions for Header Compression over MPLS 
>> <draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt>. Please send any final 
>> comments on this draft to the [email-masked] mailing list by 22nd May 
>> 2006. If no issues are raised by that time, we will request the IESG 
>> consider this for publication as a proposed standard RFC.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>>
>>
> Rohc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc
> 

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 10:45:58 +0200

Hi,

This was meant for ROHC. But please review it here also.

Cheers

Magnus

Magnus Westerlund wrote:
>> grateful for review from those working groups: please send any 
>> comments on the draft to the <[email-masked]> mailing list.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Colin (AVT co-chair)
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 11:45:24 +0100

This working group last call has ended. Given the extensive comments  
received, it is clear that a revised draft and new working group last  
call will be needed.

Colin