Subject: [AVT] RFC2833 Question

From: "O'Connor, Kevin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:01:06 -0400

Is it possible to have two RTP packets in the same stream that represent
the same timestamp range? For example, the audio representation of a
tone event as G.711 as well as the telephone-event representation.
Another example would be the telephone-event and the tone as two
different packets.

Or, is this only possible via an explicit redundancy mechanism such as
RFC 2198?

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:36:02 -0400

You can have two packets in the same stream representing the same 
timestamp range. Because the media type for RFC 2833 events is 'audio', 
it can be offered in the same stream as your G.711 example. You need a 
policy at the receiving gateway to decide which payload type to use, 
bearing in mind the need for a clean transition between tones and other 
content.

O'Connor, Kevin wrote:
> Is it possible to have two RTP packets in the same stream that
> represent the same timestamp range? For example, the audio
> representation of a tone event as G.711 as well as the
> telephone-event representation. Another example would be the
> telephone-event and the tone as two different packets.
> 
> 
> 
> Or, is this only possible via an explicit redundancy mechanism such
> as RFC 2198?
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________ Audio/Video Transport
> Working Group [email-masked] https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt