Subject: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-smpte-rtp-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Associating SMPTE time-codes with RTP streams
	Author(s)	: D. Singer
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-smpte-rtp-03.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 2006-6-15
	
This document describes a mechanism for associating SMPTE time-codes
   with media streams, in a way that is independent of the RTP payload
   format of the media stream itself.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-smpte-rtp-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-avt-smpte-rtp-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-smpte-rtp-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:49:25 +0100

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-smpte-rtp-03.txt

I have some comments, again largely editorial, on this draft:

- Please expand the acronym "SMPTE" in the title, to follow RFC  
Editor guidelines

- Section 1 should be expanded to state that this memo provides a way  
to transport SMPTE time codes in RTP and RTCP.

- Section 3 mentions SMPTE-24M, yet the rest of the document  
discusses SMPTE-12M only. A reference and some more discussion about  
the difference between the two formats would be helpful.

- Section 4: perhaps expand "This is sent out-of-band" to "This MUST  
be sent out-of-band, for example in a SIP offer/answer exchange".

- Section 4: duplicated text in the first bullet point

- Section 4: the discussion of the signalling, parameters, and  
extension name should include a reference to the rtp-hdrext draft.

- Section 5: suggest moving this to be after the current section 6

- Section 6.3: "...using the value 194 (to be registered)" ->  
"...using the value 194 (see Section 9)".

- Section 6.4 (end of 2nd paragraph): please add an explicit  
reference to the rtp-hdrext draft

- Section 7 (2nd paragraph): "...if one puts this APP packet..." ->  
"...if one puts this RTCP packet..."

- Section 7 (4th paragraph): RTCP packets cannot be sent immediately,  
since this violates the RTCP timing rules. Suggest "send as early  
feedback packets, following the rules in [draft-ietf-avt-rtcp- 
feedback-11]"

- Section 9: need to reference RFC 3550 section 15 and rtp-hdrext  
here, to help out IANA.

- Section 11: this should be "Normative References"

Colin