Subject: [AVT] RFC2833 payload with both END and MARKER bits set

From: "Murat Artun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 19:18:12 +0300

Hello all,

Is it possible or meaningfull for an RTP packet with a RFC 2833 type payload
to have its MARKER bit is set indicating the start of the event and also the
END bit of the RFC 2833 type payload is set indicating the end of the
transmission of the event?

For the "possibility", I want to note the sentence in RFC 2833 which tells
"the tone SHOULD NOT be extended by more than three packet interarrival
times". As I understand from this, the duration should not exceed, for
example, 30 ms for a 10 ms frame size RTP voice payload. So, when we want to
send a DTMF digit with length, say, 25 ms by using RFC 2833 payload, it is
seems to be possible to send it in a single packet. As a result, this single
RTP packet should be with its MARKER bit set, as well as the END bit in the
RFC 2833 type payload is set.

However, I need it to be clarified if this is true and preferred.

-- 
M u r at  A r t u n, MSc.
   Software Engineer
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 13:54:32 -0400

This is quite normal.

Murat Artun wrote:
> Hello all,
> 
> Is it possible or meaningfull for an RTP packet with a RFC 2833 type payload to have its MARKER bit is set indicating the start of the event and also the END bit of the RFC 2833 type payload is set indicating the end of the transmission of the event? 
> 
> For the "possibility", I want to note the sentence in RFC 2833 which tells "the tone SHOULD NOT be extended by more than three packet interarrival times". As I understand from this, the duration should not exceed, for example, 30 ms for a 10 ms frame size RTP voice payload. So, when we want to send a DTMF digit with length, say, 25 ms by using RFC 2833 payload, it is seems to be possible to send it in a single packet. As a result, this single RTP packet should be with its MARKER bit set, as well as the END bit in the RFC 2833 type payload is set. 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>