Subject: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-rtp-hdrext-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A general mechanism for RTP Header Extensions
	Author(s)	: D. Singer
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-rtp-hdrext-03.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2006-6-15
	
This document provides a general mechanism to use the header-
   extension feature of RTP (the Real Time Protocol).  It provides the
   option to use a small number of small extensions in each RTP packet,
   where the universe of possible extensions is large and unregistered.
   The actual extensions in use in a session are signaled in the setup
   information for that session.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-hdrext-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-avt-rtp-hdrext-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-hdrext-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:34:47 +0100

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-hdrext-03.txt

I have some, mostly editorial, comments on this draft:

   - Abstract "Real Time Protocol" -> "Real time Transport Protocol"
   - Section 1: would it be possible to summarise how the RTP header
     extension works, giving a reference to the RFC specification,  
rather
     than including such a large quote?
   - Section 4: in the first paragraph, clarify that the "identifier"  
is the
     16-bit "defined by profile" part of the RTP header extension.
   - Section 4 reserves values 0 and 15 from the ID space. The value  
zero is
     presumably reserved so padding can be distinguished from  
headers, and
     it would be useful to explain that. Why is value 15 reserved?
   - Can Section 6, and the related IANA registration, be removed  
from this
     document and written up as a separate (short) draft? I'd prefer  
it if
     this draft just defined the header extension mechanism,  
independent of
     the uses of that mechanism, since such things tend to advance at
     different rates.
   - Section 9, need to give the registry a name (e.g. "The generic RTP
     Header Extension registry"), to make it easy to refer to in future
     extensions.
   - Section 9.3 and references: please use sdp-new rather than RFC  
2327,
     since sdp-new will be published as an RFC in the next couple of  
weeks.

Otherwise, there seems to be consensus that this mechanism is needed,  
and it looks to be in good shape. Can you do a revision to address  
these, then we'll consider a working group last call.

Colin