Subject: [AVT] RFC 2833bis backward incompatibility

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 14:47:13 -0800

It has been on my conscience that RFC 2833bis introduces a backwards 
incompatibility: a 2833 implementation would have no idea what to do 
with a packet containing multiple event reports. I realized this just 
after the IESG approved the document. I expect it's too late to do 
anything within the document itself, even though it is still in the 
Editor's queue. However, I should probably create a new SDP attribute, 
a=multev, so 2833bis applications can signal their support of multiple 
event reports in one packet to each other.

Comments?

Tom Taylor

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 22:36:53 -0500

> event reports in one packet to each other.

Seems like a good idea to have some kind of signaling indication. You 
might argue it belongs in the fmtp parameter since it's a codec specific 
parameter, however doing so has the potential to introduce a backwards 
compatibility issue with parsing the fmtp parameter.

-- Flemming