Subject: [AVT] Outcome of RTP keying discussion at IETF67

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:22:24 +0000

The working group chairs met with our area director after the second  
AVT session in San Diego to discuss the outcome of the RTP keying  
discussion. Two conclusions were identified:

1) We believe the consensus of the working group is that signalling  
is not to be conveyed within RTP data packets, but should instead be  
sent within some form of control packet.

2) We believe the consensus of the working group is that it is  
acceptable to multiplex control and data packets on the same UDP  
port, provided the packet types can be clearly distinguished.

Our reading is that the group sees value in a clear architectural  
separation of data and control, but is concerned about the overhead  
and complexity that is brought about by separating them onto  
different ports. We note that neither consensus is unanimous, and  
that some in the working group believe efficient transport more  
important than architectural purity.

We did not see any consensus on the question of whether keying  
information should be conveyed in RTCP packets multiplexed on the RTP  
port, or in some other protocol multiplexed on the RTP port. The  
opinion of the chairs and area director is that both approaches are  
workable, and fit within the RTP architecture, but that it may be  
cleaner to use a separate keying protocol (modelled after STUN), than  
to try to fit keying within RTCP.

Colin, Tom, and Roni
AVT chairs

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt