Subject: [AVT] FW: New Version Notification for draft-versteeg-avt-rapid-synchronization-for-rtp-00

From: "Ali Begen (abegen)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 16:12:30 -0700

Hi everyone,

This draft is to enable RTP receivers to quickly synchronize with
RTP-based multicast sessions. 
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-versteeg-avt-rapid-synchronization-for-rt
p-00.txt

Comments are welcome.

BR,
-acbegen

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 1:38 PM
To: Ali Begen (abegen)
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-versteeg-avt-rapid-synchronization-for-rtp-00 

A new version of I-D,
draft-versteeg-avt-rapid-synchronization-for-rtp-00.txt has been
successfuly submitted by Ali Begen and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-versteeg-avt-rapid-synchronization-for-rtp
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Unicast-Based Rapid Synchronization with RTP Multicast
Sessions
Creation_date:	 2008-07-07
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 30

Abstract:
When a receiver joins a multicast session, it may need to acquire and
parse certain key information before it can process any data sent in the
multicast session.  Depending on the join time, length of the key
information repetition interval, size of the key information as well as
the application and transport properties, the time lag before a receiver
can usefully consume the multicast data, which we refer to as the
synchronization delay, varies and may be large.  This is an undesirable
phenomenon for receivers that frequently switch among different
multicast sessions, such as video broadcasts.  In this document, we
describe a method using existing RTP and RTCP protocol machinery that
reduces the synchronization delay.  In this method, an auxiliary unicast
RTP session carrying the key information to the receiver
precedes/accompanies the multicast flow.  This unicast flow may be
transmitted at a faster than natural rate to further accelerate the
synchronization.  The motivating use case for this capability is
multicast applications that carry real-time compressed audio and video.
However, the proposed method can also be used in other types of
multicast applications where the synchronization delay is long enough to
be a problem.

The IETF Secretariat.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt