Subject: [AVT] Protocol Action: 'RTP Payload Format for JPEG 2000 Video Streams' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:33:10 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'Payload Format for JPEG 2000 Video: Extensions for Scalability and 
   Main Header Recovery '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-jpeg2000-beam-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'RTP Payload Format for JPEG 2000 Video Streams '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-jpeg2000-20.txt> as a Proposed Standard

These documents are products of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-jpeg2000-20.txt

Technical Summary
This memo describes an RTP payload format for the ISO/IEC
International Standard 15444-1 | ITU-T Rec. T.800, otherwise better
known as: JPEG 2000. JPEG 2000 features are considered in the 
design
of this payload format. JPEG 2000 is a truly scalable compression
technology allowing applications to encode once and decode many
different ways. JPEG 2000 video stream is formed by extending 
from a single image to a series of JPEG 2000 images.

Working Group Summary
This is a reasonably standard RTP payload format, although it has 
been under discussion since the 52nd IETF. Key discussion points in 
the working group were the provision of optional IPR-encumbered 
features (now removed to draft-ietf-avt-rtp-jpeg2000-beam-09.txt) and 
allowing the use of non-90kHz RTP timestamp rates, for high accuracy 
synchronisation when non-standard frame rates are used.

Document Quality
Media type review was conducted starting 24 September 2007, with no 
objections raised. There is at least one implementation.

Personnel
The document shepherd is Colin Perkins. The responsible area director 
is Cullen Jennings.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt