Subject: [AVT] Liaison from ITU-T SG 16

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:49:39 +0200

Hi,

We have received the following liaison statement from ITU-T Study group 16.

They are looking for a solution that will enable them to exchange capability
of network elements that are in the bearer path (e.g. echo cancellers) in
order to optimize the processing done by them.

The full specification is available, we will look at how to make it
available.

Please look at the following text and see if you have any suggestions

Thanks

Roni Even

AVT co-chair

ITU-T Q18 of WP1/16 would like to request your assistance to identify if
there are existing protocols (e.g. RTP packet definitions) that can be
utilized to realize the dynamic coordination mechanism defined in the draft
new Recommendation ITU-T G.MDCSPNE over IP networks.

G.MDCSPNE defines a generic framework and protocol requirements for a
coordination mechanism intended to minimize undesirable interaction of voice
processing functions present on bearer paths of a communication link, for
the purpose of improving overall end-to-end voice quality.  Voice quality
improvement is achieved through the usage of "capability lists", exchanged
among nodes on the bearer path, to identify the state of signal processing
functions (available/unavailable) over a call connection.  This information
is then used to refer to a common "rule book" to cause the de-activation of
redundant functions, and the retention of the signal processing functions
that are in most favourable locations for improving voice quality. One
important aspect of G.MDCSPNE is that it allows dynamic coordination of
signal processing functions/devices during a call.  Dynamic coordination is
needed in response to changes in signal processing function availability due
to, for example, call topology changes such as call transfer or call
handover, all within the same call session. The generic capability list
format structure and the rules for de-activation and retention, based on
this state information, have been finalized in G.MDCSPNE. The scope of
G.MDCSPNE, however, does not cover the definition of protocols for the
exchange of capability list information on the bearer path to realize the
coordination mechanism over IP networks.

ITU-T Q18 of WP1/16 would like to request your assistance in identifying if
there is (are) existing standard specifications that could serve as a
vehicle for exchange of state of availability of voice processing functions
among nodes on a call-path, to satisfy the requirements for a dynamic
coordination mechanism over IP networks as contained in ITU-T Q18/16 draft
G.MDCSPNE. 

ITU-T Q18/16 understands that modification of the generic capability list
format structure in G.MDCSPNE may be needed in order to take advantage of
existing specifications to implement the dynamic coordination mechanism.  If
such should be the case, ITU-T Q18/16 would appreciate very much if you
would provide the modifications needed.  

For information purpose, attached please find the latest version of
G.MDCSPNE for your reference.  G.MDCSPNE is expected to go for consent at
the ITU-T October 2009 SG16 meeting and become an ITU-T standard afterwards.

Attachment

-            Draft 8 of G.MDCSPNE "Mechanism for Dynamic Coordination of
Voice Enhancement SPNE"

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 22:33:48 +0100

Dear all,
 
In reference to the attachment to Liaison Statement, I have made it
available at:
http://wftp3.itu.int/av-arch/MM-framework/ls006-16-att1-Draft8GMDCSPNE.p
df
 
(no password needed).
 
Best regards,
Simao

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Roni Even
Sent: 19 February 2009 15:50
To: 'IETF AVT WG'
Cc: [email-masked]; 'Tom Taylor'; [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] Liaison from ITU-T SG 16

Hi,

We have received the following liaison statement from ITU-T Study group
16.

They are looking for a solution that will enable them to exchange
capability of network elements that are in the bearer path (e.g. echo
cancellers) in order to optimize the processing done by them.

Thanks

Roni Even

AVT co-chair

ITU-T Q18 of WP1/16 would like to request your assistance to identify if
there are existing protocols (e.g. RTP packet definitions) that can be
utilized to realize the dynamic coordination mechanism defined in the
draft new Recommendation ITU-T G.MDCSPNE over IP networks.

G.MDCSPNE defines a generic framework and protocol requirements for a
coordination mechanism intended to minimize undesirable interaction of
voice processing functions present on bearer paths of a communication
link, for the purpose of improving overall end-to-end voice quality.
Voice quality improvement is achieved through the usage of "capability
lists", exchanged among nodes on the bearer path, to identify the state
of signal processing functions (available/unavailable) over a call
connection.  This information is then used to refer to a common "rule
book" to cause the de-activation of redundant functions, and the
retention of the signal processing functions that are in most favourable
locations for improving voice quality. One important aspect of G.MDCSPNE
is that it allows dynamic coordination of signal processing
functions/devices during a call.  Dynamic coordination is needed in
response to changes in signal processing function availability due to,
for example, call topology changes such as call transfer or call
handover, all within the same call session. The generic capability list
format structure and the rules for de-activation and retention, based on
this state information, have been finalized in G.MDCSPNE. The scope of
G.MDCSPNE, however, does not cover the definition of protocols for the
exchange of capability list information on the bearer path to realize
the coordination mechanism over IP networks.

ITU-T Q18 of WP1/16 would like to request your assistance in identifying
if there is (are) existing standard specifications that could serve as a
vehicle for exchange of state of availability of voice processing
functions among nodes on a call-path, to satisfy the requirements for a
dynamic coordination mechanism over IP networks as contained in ITU-T
Q18/16 draft G.MDCSPNE. 

ITU-T Q18/16 understands that modification of the generic capability
list format structure in G.MDCSPNE may be needed in order to take
advantage of existing specifications to implement the dynamic
coordination mechanism.  If such should be the case, ITU-T Q18/16 would
appreciate very much if you would provide the modifications needed.  

For information purpose, attached please find the latest version of
G.MDCSPNE for your reference.  G.MDCSPNE is expected to go for consent
at the ITU-T October 2009 SG16 meeting and become an ITU-T standard
afterwards.

Attachment