Subject: [AVT] A draft on requirements on Audio Codec

From: "Christian Hoene" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:36:03 +0200

Hi all,

since the 73rd IETF Meeting in Minneapolis, I have followed the discussions on whether to standardized codecs at the IETF or not. Especially, the discussions on the CodecBof mailing list have been quite fruitful. Based on these emails and on the standard and requirement documents of ITU, 3GPP and OMA, I have written this requirement document. http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-hoene-avt-acs-requirements-00.txt

A very most important aspect I see as a network engineer is that the Internet behavior needs to drive both the codec design and how it's transported, not the other way around. Codecs can't set demands on how the Internet should behave. Thus, the requirements document can be understood as a wish list to codec designer on what feature the codec shall support.

I am posting this email on AVT because I would be glad to get feedback from the AVT experts on what additional features the codec should have in order to provide a good acoustic communication between any two Internet hosts.

Thank you

 Christian Hoene

--------------------------------------------------------
Dr.-Ing. Christian Hoene
Interactive Communication Systems (ICS), University of Tübingen
Sand 13, 72076 Tübingen, Germany, Phone +49 7071 2970532
http://www.net.uni-tuebingen.de/

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 1:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-hoene-avt-acs-requirements-00 

A new version of I-D, draft-hoene-avt-acs-requirements-00.txt has been successfuly submitted by Christian Hoene and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-hoene-avt-acs-requirements
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Requirements of an Audio Communication System (ACS)
Creation_date:	 2009-08-17
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 24

Abstract:
This document describes the requirements of an audio communication 
system (ACS) for acoustic content, especially speech and music. The 
ACS consists of all components above the IP layer and below a digital 
PCM audio interface. These include codec, jitter buffer, and 
transport. 

The goal of the ACS is to provide a bidirectional acoustic 
communication between any two Internet hosts at a good quality, 
constrained only by the available resources at the hosts and the 
characteristics of the transmission path between both hosts. 

The intention of the document is to provide the requirements for a 
codec that is solely intended for the Internet, to provide the 
requirements for the codec's payload specification, and to define the 
requirements on the transport protocol.

The IETF Secretariat.

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:46:35 -0400

If anything, I would offer what Christian proposes is the ONLY  
justification for doing this work in the IETF. All the other reasons  
(IPR regime, public participation, etc.) are, IMHO, red herrings.

I *DO* believe we can do a much better job coming up with an INTERNET  
codec than the other groups.

On Aug 17, 2009, at 8:36 AM, Christian Hoene wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> since the 73rd IETF Meeting in Minneapolis, I have followed the  
> discussions on whether to standardized codecs at the IETF or not.  
> Especially, the discussions on the CodecBof mailing list have been  
> quite fruitful. Based on these emails and on the standard and  
> requirement documents of ITU, 3GPP and OMA, I have written this  
> requirement document. http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-hoene-avt-acs-requirements-00.txt
>
> A very most important aspect I see as a network engineer is that the  
> Internet behavior needs to drive both the codec design and how it's  
> transported, not the other way around. Codecs can't set demands on  
> how the Internet should behave. Thus, the requirements document can  
> be understood as a wish list to codec designer on what feature the  
> codec shall support.
>
> I am posting this email on AVT because I would be glad to get  
> feedback from the AVT experts on what additional features the codec  
> should have in order to provide a good acoustic communication  
> between any two Internet hosts.
>
> Thank you
>
> Christian Hoene
>
> A new version of I-D, draft-hoene-avt-acs-requirements-00.txt has  
> been successfuly submitted by Christian Hoene and posted to the IETF  
> repository.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Audio/Video Transport Working Group
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:46:31 +0100

I largely agree with Eric.  If this work is to be done, then we need  
this type of requirements document as input to provide technical  
justification for why it needs to be done.  Only then can we evaluate  
whether existing codecs might be sufficient, and if not, if IETF if  
the right place to do the work in designing an alternative.

What's missing would seem to be the technical reasons why existing  
codecs don't/can't meet the requirements (perhaps when coupled with  
appropriate RTP-level features).

Colin

On 17 Aug 2009, at 18:46, Eric Burger wrote:
> I *DO* believe we can do a much better job coming up with an  
> INTERNET codec than the other groups.
>
>> A very most important aspect I see as a network engineer is that  
>> the Internet behavior needs to drive both the codec design and how  
>> it's transported, not the other way around. Codecs can't set  
>> demands on how the Internet should behave. Thus, the requirements  
>> document can be understood as a wish list to codec designer on what  
>> feature the codec shall support.
>>
>> been successfuly submitted by Christian Hoene and posted to the  
>> IETF repository.
>>

-- 
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/