Subject: [AVT] draft-arbeiter-rtp-klv-01.txt

From: "Arbeiter, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 17:03:51 -0500

Internet draft "draft-arbeiter-rtp-klv-01.txt" is now posted for
comment. The purpose of this document is to describe a RTP profile for
the carriage of SMPTE 336M data (KLV). The community of practice which
needs such guidance is governed by the Motion Imagery Standards Board
(MISB), a body that acts to supply standards, recommended practices, and
engineering guidelines to the government community. As metadata is
critically important to our work, and in fact is considered as important
as the collected video, a means to provide metadata in binary form
constructed according to SMPTE standards consistent with the carriage of
H.264, MPEG2, and MPEG-2 TS completes the needs and requirements for
delivering media over IP and also low bandwidth channels.
 
All comments are welcome and will be appreciated. This draft is
presently under experimentation within our community.
 
Regards,

Jim Arbeiter 
MISB/Interoperability Working Group Chair

Harris Corporation
321-984-6414 
[email-masked]

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:05:42 +0000

Jim,

On 9 Dec 2009, at 22:03, Arbeiter, James wrote:
> comment. The purpose of this document is to describe a RTP profile  
> for the carriage of SMPTE 336M data (KLV).

You mean an RTP Payload Format, rather than an RTP profile, presumably?

> The community of practice which needs such guidance is governed by  
> the Motion Imagery Standards Board (MISB), a body that acts to  
> supply standards, recommended practices, and engineering guidelines  
> to the government community. As metadata is critically important to  
> our work, and in fact is considered as important as the collected  
> video, a means to provide metadata in binary form constructed  
> according to SMPTE standards consistent with the carriage of H.264,  
> MPEG2, and MPEG-2 TS completes the needs and requirements for  

This draft looks very reasonable, and seems to be something AVT should  
consider adopting as a work item.

-- 
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/