Subject: [AVT] WGLC on draft-ietf-avt-rapid-acquisition-for-rtp-05 - IPR issues

From: Roni Even <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 15:47:58 +0200

Hi,

The tools page shows the following IPR statements that may relate to the
RAMS draft. 

 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/990/> "Cisco's Statement about IPR
claimed in draft-versteeg-avt-rapid-synchronization-for-rtp-00.txt"

 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1024/> "Microsoft Corporation's Statement
about IPR related to draft-levin-avt-rtcp-burst-00"

 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1025/> "Microsoft Corporation's Statement
about IPR related to draft-versteeg-avt-rapid-synchronization-for-rtp-01"

 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1128/> "HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES CO.,LTD 's
Statement about IPR related to draft-peilin-avt-rtp-burst-01"

 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1200/> "Alcatel-Lucent's Statement about
IPR related to draft-ietf-avt-rapid-acquisition-for-rtp-04"

It will be good if the IPR statement will be updated to reference the
current draft if they are relevant to it.

As for the IETF statements it looks like some of them offer a "Reasonable
and Non-Discriminatory License to All Implementers with Possible
Royalty/Fee" but provide few details; others offer a more clearly defined
non-assert. 

It will be helpful to the WG if the RAND terms will be written more clearly.
>From BCP79 " In general, IETF working groups prefer technologies with no
known IPR  claims or, for technologies with claims against them, an offer of
royalty-free licensing.  But IETF working groups have the discretion  to
adopt technology with a commitment of fair and non-discriminatory  terms, or
even with no licensing commitment, if they feel that this  technology is
superior enough to alternatives with fewer IPR claims   or free licensing to
outweigh the potential cost of the licenses."

I think that the current text in some of the IPR statements may delay the
publication of this draft since there were already objections on the mailing
list.

 I would also like to ask the people who reviewed the draft to also look at
IPR statements.

Roni Even

AVT co-chair