Subject: [AVT] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC3611 (2262)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 11:13:27 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC3611,
"RTP Control Protocol Extended Reports (RTCP XR)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=3611&eid=2262

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Kamil Sarac <[email-masked]>

Section: 4.6

Original Text
-------------
   min_jitter: 32 bits
         The minimum relative transit time between two packets in the
         above sequence number interval.  All jitter values are measured
         as the difference between a packet's RTP timestamp and the
         reporter's clock at the time of arrival, measured in the same
         units.

   max_jitter: 32 bits
         The maximum relative transit time between two packets in the
         above sequence number interval.

   mean_jitter: 32 bits
         The mean relative transit time between each two packet series
         in the above sequence number interval, rounded to the nearest
         value expressible as an RTP timestamp.

   dev_jitter: 32 bits
         The standard deviation of the relative transit time between
         each two packet series in the above sequence number interval.

Corrected Text
--------------
   min_jitter: 32 bits
         The minimum jitter measured for a pair of packets in the above
         sequence number interval.  The packet jitter is defined in [9,
         Section 6.4.1] and measured in timestamp units.

   max_jitter: 32 bits
         The maximum jitter measured for a pair of packets in the above
         sequence number interval.

   mean_jitter: 32 bits
         The mean jitter measured for a pair of packets in the above
         sequence number interval, rounded to the nearest
         value expressible as a timestamp.

   dev_jitter: 32 bits
         The standard deviation of the jitter measured for a pair of packets
         in the above sequence number interval.

Notes
-----
In the original RFC 3611 in Section 4.6 where it defines "min_jitter", the jitter definition is different from the one given in RFC3550. This errata report is to correct this difference by referring to RFC 3550 for the proper definition of jitter and revises the definitions of "min_jitter", "max_jitter", "mean_jitter", and "dev_jitter" fields.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC3611 (draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-report-extns-06)
--------------------------------------
Title               : RTP Control Protocol Extended Reports (RTCP XR)
Publication Date    : November 2003
Author(s)           : T. Friedman, Ed., R. Caceres, Ed., A. Clark, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Audio/Video Transport
Area                : Real-time Applications and Infrastructure
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Kamil Sarac <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 13:16:50 -0500

Dear all,

I just reported an errata which was originally brought to our attention 
by Chris Wang ([email-masked]). The report is related to the part of 
the RFC that Kevin Almeroth and I authored. I believe that the proposed 
replacement which was suggested by Chris Wang is a proper fix for the 
errata.

Best regards,
Kamil

Kamil Sarac
Associate Professor
Department of Computer Science
The University of Texas at Dallas
Richardson, TX 75083-0688
Phone: (972) 883 2337   Fax: (972) 883 2349
Email: [email-masked]   Web: www.utdallas.edu/~ksarac