Subject: [AVT] Accepting draft-begen-avt-rtcp-port-for-ssm-01 as an AVT WG document

From: Roni Even <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 18:12:08 +0300

Hi,

SDP has an attribute that allows  RTP applications to specify an address and
a port associated with the RTCP traffic.  In RTP-based source-specific
multicast (SSM) sessions, the same attribute is used to designate the
address and the RTCP port of the Feedback Target in the SDP description.
However, the RTCP port associated with the SSM session itself cannot be
specified by the same attribute to avoid ambiguity,  and thus, is required
to be derived from the "m=" line of the media description.  Similarly, in
any-source multicast (ASM) sessions, there is no explicit way to specify the
destination RTCP port. Deriving the RTCP port from the "m=" line imposes an
unnecessary  restriction

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-begen-avt-rtcp-port-for-ssm-01 removes this
restriction by introducing a  new SDP attribute.

This was recognized as an issue to solve in the last IETF meetings.
 
The AVT chairs would like to ask if the group feels that this document
should be accepted as a starting point for the working group document for
resolving the issue.
 
Please send any comments to the AVT mailing list till June 12th
 
Thanks
Roni Even
AVT co-chair

---

From: "Bill Ver Steeg (versteb)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:42:35 -0500

I support this work. It is helpful in a RAMS context, and also useful in
the broader context.

Bill VerSteeg

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Roni Even
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 11:12 AM
To: 'IETF AVT WG'
Cc: 'mmusic'
Subject: [AVT] Accepting draft-begen-avt-rtcp-port-for-ssm-01 as an AVT
WGdocument

Hi,

SDP has an attribute that allows  RTP applications to specify an address
and a port associated with the RTCP traffic.  In RTP-based
source-specific multicast (SSM) sessions, the same attribute is used to
designate the address and the RTCP port of the Feedback Target in the
SDP description.  However, the RTCP port associated with the SSM session
itself cannot be specified by the same attribute to avoid ambiguity,
and thus, is required to be derived from the "m=" line of the media
description.  Similarly, in any-source multicast (ASM) sessions, there
is no explicit way to specify the destination RTCP port. Deriving the
RTCP port from the "m=" line imposes an unnecessary  restriction

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-begen-avt-rtcp-port-for-ssm-01 removes
this restriction by introducing a  new SDP attribute.

The AVT chairs would like to ask if the group feels that this document
should be accepted as a starting point for the working group document
for resolving the issue.

Thanks
Roni Even
AVT co-chair

---

From: Jinwei Xia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 14:00:30 +0800

I support this draft, it specifies the destination rtcp port usage in SSM
session.

BR
Jinwei

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Roni
Even
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 11:12 PM
To: 'IETF AVT WG'
Cc: 'mmusic'
Subject: [AVT] Accepting draft-begen-avt-rtcp-port-for-ssm-01 as an AVT
WGdocument

Hi,

 

Thanks
Roni Even
AVT co-chair

---

From: "Michael Lague (mlague)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:07:56 -0500

I support this work.

--Mike Lague

Hi,

 

Thanks
Roni Even
AVT co-chair