Subject: [AVT] Request for review: Approximate authentication in SRTP

From: Fehér Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 01:26:51 +0200

Dear AVT experts!

Today I have uploaded an initial draft "Using approximate authentication 
with Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP)"
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-feher-avt-approx-auth-srtp-00.txt

I'm a new member of this mailing list, but during the past years I 
already get know RFCs coming from this workgroup. I use some of them.

I'm working on a university and we do research on audio video 
transmission over wireless networks. We consider SRTP for content 
protection. However, unfortunately the current SRTP authentication 
algorithm (HMAC-SHA1) is inappropriate on wireless channels where there 
are natural bit errors. In RFC3711, SRTP allows to use a weak 
authentication in some scenarios. Approximate authentication is a weak 
authentication, but in other hand it is also a solution to have secure 
(even it is not fully secure) audio and video transmission over 
error-prone channels.

The draft I have uploded describes a kind of framework, how to use an 
approximate authentication algorithm within SRTP. There is the 
definition, how to calculate the authentication tag and you can also 
find other requirements regarding the encryption, key derivation, etc.. 
It is intentional, that I suggest no particular approximate 
authentication algorithm in this draft. I plan to submit a draft later, 
when we all agree on the basics of approximate authentication usage 
inside SRTP. In the references you can find publications regarding 
approximate authentication.

Please write your comments! I use/teach SRTP for over 5 years and I 
always thought that approximate authentication is missing. I would like 
to contribute to it. Also, I would like to give a short presentation 
related to the draft in Bejing.

Best Regards,
Gabor Feher

---

From: Roni Even <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 01:34:02 +0200

Hi,

I will look at the draft and I noted your request for agenda time in Beijing

Roni Even

AVT co-chair

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Feh?r
G?bor
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:27 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] Request for review: Approximate authentication in SRTP

Dear AVT experts!

I'm a new member of this mailing list, but during the past years I already
get know RFCs coming from this workgroup. I use some of them.

I'm working on a university and we do research on audio video transmission
over wireless networks. We consider SRTP for content protection. However,
unfortunately the current SRTP authentication algorithm (HMAC-SHA1) is
inappropriate on wireless channels where there are natural bit errors. In
RFC3711, SRTP allows to use a weak authentication in some scenarios.
Approximate authentication is a weak authentication, but in other hand it is
also a solution to have secure (even it is not fully secure) audio and video
transmission over error-prone channels. 

The draft I have uploded describes a kind of framework, how to use an
approximate authentication algorithm within SRTP. There is the definition,
how to calculate the authentication tag and you can also find other
requirements regarding the encryption, key derivation, etc.. It is
intentional, that I suggest no particular approximate authentication
algorithm in this draft. I plan to submit a draft later, when we all agree
on the basics of approximate authentication usage inside SRTP. In the
references you can find publications regarding approximate authentication.

Please write your comments! I use/teach SRTP for over 5 years and I always
thought that approximate authentication is missing. I would like to
contribute to it. Also, I would like to give a short presentation related to
the draft in Bejing.

Best Regards,
Gabor Feher