Subject: [AVTCORE] RFC 6128 on RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Port for Source-Specific Multicast (SSM) Sessions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 16:04:25 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6128

        Title:      RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Port 
                    for Source-Specific Multicast (SSM) Sessions 
        Author:     A. Begen
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 11544
        Updates:    RFC5760

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-port-for-ssm-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6128.txt

The Session Description Protocol (SDP) has an attribute that allows
RTP applications to specify an address and a port associated with the
RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) traffic.  In RTP-based source-specific
multicast (SSM) sessions, the same attribute is used to designate the
address and the RTCP port of the Feedback Target in the SDP
description.  However, the RTCP port associated with the SSM session
itself cannot be specified by the same attribute to avoid ambiguity,
and thus, is required to be derived from the "m=" line of the media
description.  Deriving the RTCP port from the "m=" line imposes an
unnecessary restriction.  This document removes this restriction by
introducing a new SDP attribute.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC