Subject: [AVTCORE] Last Call: <draft-ietf-avtcore-feedback-supression-rtp-15.txt> (RTCP Extension for Third-party Loss Report) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 06:56:42 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance WG (avtcore) to consider the following document:
- 'RTCP Extension for Third-party Loss Report'
  <draft-ietf-avtcore-feedback-supression-rtp-15.txt> as a Proposed
Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-03-26. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   In a large RTP session using the RTCP feedback mechanism defined in
   RFC 4585, a feedback target may experience transient overload if some
   event causes a large number of receivers to send feedback at once.
   This overload is usually avoided by ensuring that feedback reports
   are forwarded to all receivers, allowing them to avoid sending
   duplicate feedback reports.  However, there are cases where it is not
   recommended to forward feedback reports, and this may allow feedback
   implosion.  This memo discusses these cases and defines a new RTCP
   third-party loss report that can be used to inform receivers that the
   feedback target is aware of some loss event, allowing them to
   suppress feedback.  Associated SDP signalling is also defined.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-feedback-supression-rtp/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-feedback-supression-rtp/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.