Subject: [AVTCORE] Summary of RTP multiplexing discussion in AVTcore

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:46:14 +0200

Hi,

As the WG co-chair I would like to try to summarize what I consider as the
consensus to go forward.

My understanding from the meeting was that we had a rough consensus that
addresses what is required to do in AVTcore. The decision had two parts:

1.  Have a document that will update RFC 3550 with regards to multiplexing
different media types (section 5.2) explaining when it can be used and what
are the issues.

2.  In parallel, we will continue with the individual submission of
multiplexing multiple RTP sessions over a single transport flow (The Shim
approach is looking like the preferred method).

My understanding as the WG co-chair of the discussion is that there is  no
issue with having more than one way to multiplex RTP streams/sessions since
we currently have more than one mode. (Session multiplexing and SSRC
multiplexing; there were some people who preferred one solution but this
approach is following previous WG decision).

The issue of how to negotiate an agreed mode between the single session and
multisession over a single transport flow is discussed in MMUSIC in the
Bundle draft and in  draft-westerlund-avtcore-transport-multiplexing in the
signaling section. This interoperability topic should be discussed in MMUSIC
and maybe added to the bundle draft which leaves this option open (see
section 1 of bundle).

The WG chairs are asking for additional views from the people not present in
the meeting and people who did not have a chance to provide their view. (we
are not barring others to respond)

Roni Even

AVTcore co-chair