Subject: [AVTCORE] It was 20 years ago today...

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 16:21:16 +0000

AVT Working Group,

Today is an anniversary of sorts. The first working group draft of the RTP specification, draft-ietf-avt-rtp-00.txt, on "A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications" is dated 15 December 1992 -- 20 years ago today.

The draft is online at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-00 and was discussed at the 25th IETF meeting. The minutes of that meeting can be found at http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/25.pdf (AVT minutes are pages 441-447), and make interesting reading. 

Colin

---

From: Stephen Casner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 11:09:28 -0800 (PST)

Colin,

Thanks for the notice.  I guess we missed citing another 20th
anniversary earlier this year, that of the first AVT meeting on March
17, 1992 at the 23rd IETF in San Diego.  That meeting was included in
the first IETF "audiocast" using IP multicast and NVP-II that was one
of the inputs to the RTP design process.  (There was actually an
impromptu BOF to assess interest in forming a working group for AVT in
November 1991 at the 22nd IETF in Santa Fe as an outgrowth of the
Teleconferencing BOF at that meeting.)

The notion that sending audio and video over the Internet should be
constrained to experimental activities was valid then, and words to
that effect remained when RFC 1889 was published.  Those words were
removed in the revision for full standard RFC 3550, and I think we can
safely say this was an experiment with a successful outcome.

                                                        -- Steve

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012, Colin Perkins wrote:

> AVT Working Group,
>
> Today is an anniversary of sorts. The first working group draft of
> the RTP specification, draft-ietf-avt-rtp-00.txt, on "A Transport
> Protocol for Real-Time Applications" is dated 15 December 1992 -- 20
> years ago today.
>
> The draft is online at
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-00 and was discussed
> at the 25th IETF meeting. The minutes of that meeting can be found
> at http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/25.pdf (AVT minutes are pages
> 441-447), and make interesting reading.
>
> Colin
>
> _______________________________________________
> Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt
>