Subject: [AVTCORE] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtcore-6222bis-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 03:43:14 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Guidelines for Choosing RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Names (CNAMEs)
	Author(s)       : Ali Begen
                          Colin Perkins
                          Dan Wing
                          Eric Rescorla
	Filename        : draft-ietf-avtcore-6222bis-06.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2013-07-14

Abstract:
   The RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Name (CNAME) is a
   persistent transport-level identifier for an RTP endpoint.  While the
   Synchronization Source (SSRC) identifier of an RTP endpoint may
   change if a collision is detected or when the RTP application is
   restarted, its RTCP CNAME is meant to stay unchanged, so that RTP
   endpoints can be uniquely identified and associated with their RTP
   media streams.

   For proper functionality, RTCP CNAMEs should be unique within the
   participants of an RTP session.  However, the existing guidelines for
   choosing the RTCP CNAME provided in the RTP standard are insufficient
   to achieve this uniqueness.  RFC 6222 was published to update those
   guidelines to allow endpoints to choose unique RTCP CNAMEs.
   Unfortunately, later investigations showed that some parts of the new
   algorithms were unnecessarily complicated and/or ineffective.  This
   document addresses these concerns and replaces RFC 6222.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-6222bis

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-avtcore-6222bis-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-avtcore-6222bis-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/