Subject: [AVTCORE] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-montagud-avtcore-eed-rtcp-idms-00.txt

From: Mario Montagud Climent <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 16:56:15 +0100

Dear AVTCORE WG members,

We have just submitted a new ID proposing new RTCP reporting rules and  
messages for Inter-Destination Media Synchronization (IDMS), which, in  
conjunction, we call "Early-Event Driven (EED) RTCP Feedback for  
IDMS". The rationale of such document is to allow a more strategic and  
efficient usage of the RTCP channel for IDMS, based on the proposed  
RTCP extensions in [RFC4585] and in [RFC6051]. The use of EED RTCP  
Feedback for IDMS is backward compatible with [RFC7272], while it  
adheres to the RTCP traffic bounds specified in [RFC3550].

In particular, the following key benefits are provided by the proposed  
EED RTCP Feedback for IDMS: i) earlier correction of out-of-sync  
situations; ii) higher granularity for synchronizing the presentation  
of dynamically triggered media-related events (e.g., to ensure that  
important pieces of media content are simultaneously presented in all  
the users); iii) ability of dynamically requesting (re-)IDMS setting  
instructions (e.g., in case of RTCP packet loss); iv) dynamic and  
rapid accommodation of latecomers in on-going sessions; and v)  
reduction of channel-change (i.e., zapping) delays.

Additionally, this ID also discusses various situations in which the  
reporting of Reduced-Size RTCP packets [RFC3556] can be applicable and  
beneficial for IDMS.

We have also included some definitions from [RFC3550], [RFC4585] and  
[RFC6051] for a better understanding of this document.

We will deeply appreciate your feedback on this document and a  
discussion for its consideration as a WG item.

Cheers,

Mario Montagud

PS: A preliminary evalution of such IDMS extensions can be found in  
"Montagud, M., Boronat, F., Stokking, H., Early Event-Driven (EED)  
RTCP Feedback for Rapid IDMS, The 21st ACM International Conference on  
Multimedia (ACM MM 2013), Barcelona (Spain), October 2013". If you are  
interested in reading this paper, but do not have access, please send  
me an e-mail.

----- Mensaje reenviado de [email-masked] -----
    Fecha: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 07:42:44 -0800
       De: [email-masked]
  Asunto: New Version Notification for  
draft-montagud-avtcore-eed-rtcp-idms-00.txt
     Para: Mario Montagud <[email-masked]>, Fernando Boronat  
<[email-masked]>, Hans Stokking <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-montagud-avtcore-eed-rtcp-idms-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Mario Montagud and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-montagud-avtcore-eed-rtcp-idms
Revision:	00
Title:		Early Event-Driven (EED) RTCP Feedback for Rapid IDMS
Document date:	2015-02-09
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		25
URL:             
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-montagud-avtcore-eed-rtcp-idms-00.txt
Status:          
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-montagud-avtcore-eed-rtcp-idms/
Htmlized:        
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-montagud-avtcore-eed-rtcp-idms-00

Abstract:
    RFC 7272 defines two RTCP messages to enable Inter-Destination Media
    Synchronization (IDMS).  However, if such RTCP messages are exchanged
    using the Regular RTCP reporting rules specified in RFC 3550,
    unacceptable delays can be originated when exchanging the
    synchronization information conveyed into RTCP packets.  Accordingly,
    this document proposes Early Event-Driven (EED) RTCP reporting rules
    and messages to enable higher interactivity, dynamism, flexibility
    and accuracy when using RTP/RTCP for IDMS.  Such IDMS extensions are
    targeted at providing faster reaction on dynamic situations, such as
    out-of-sync situations and channel change delays, as well as a finer
    granularity for synchronizing media-related events, while still
    adhering to the RTCP bandwidth bounds specified in RFC 3550.
    Besides, a new RTP/AVPF transport layer feedback message is proposed
    to allow the request of re-IDMS setting instructions (e.g., in case
    of RTCP packet loss) as well as rapid accommodation of latecomers in
    on-going sessions.  Finally, this document also discusses various
    situations in which the reporting of Reduced-Size RTCP packets (RFC
    3556) can be applicable and beneficial for IDMS.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

----- Terminar mensaje reenviado -----

Subject: New Version Notification for draft-montagud-avtcore-eed-rtcp-idms-00.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: "Mario Montagud" <[email-masked]>, "Fernando Boronat" <[email-masked]>, "Hans Stokking" <[email-masked]>, "Hans Stokking" <[email-masked]>, "Mario Montagud" <[email-masked]>, "Fernando Boronat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 07:42:44 -0800

A new version of I-D, draft-montagud-avtcore-eed-rtcp-idms-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Mario Montagud and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-montagud-avtcore-eed-rtcp-idms
Revision:	00
Title:		Early Event-Driven (EED) RTCP Feedback for Rapid IDMS
Document date:	2015-02-09
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		25
URL:            http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-montagud-avtcore-eed-rtcp-idms-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-montagud-avtcore-eed-rtcp-idms/
Htmlized:       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-montagud-avtcore-eed-rtcp-idms-00

Abstract:
   RFC 7272 defines two RTCP messages to enable Inter-Destination Media
   Synchronization (IDMS).  However, if such RTCP messages are exchanged
   using the Regular RTCP reporting rules specified in RFC 3550,
   unacceptable delays can be originated when exchanging the
   synchronization information conveyed into RTCP packets.  Accordingly,
   this document proposes Early Event-Driven (EED) RTCP reporting rules
   and messages to enable higher interactivity, dynamism, flexibility
   and accuracy when using RTP/RTCP for IDMS.  Such IDMS extensions are
   targeted at providing faster reaction on dynamic situations, such as
   out-of-sync situations and channel change delays, as well as a finer
   granularity for synchronizing media-related events, while still
   adhering to the RTCP bandwidth bounds specified in RFC 3550.
   Besides, a new RTP/AVPF transport layer feedback message is proposed
   to allow the request of re-IDMS setting instructions (e.g., in case
   of RTCP packet loss) as well as rapid accommodation of latecomers in
   on-going sessions.  Finally, this document also discusses various
   situations in which the reporting of Reduced-Size RTCP packets (RFC
   3556) can be applicable and beneficial for IDMS.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat